Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2017, 16:01   #1

Boat: 88 36' Hunter
FOAM

Ok.. got the estimate back for my new salon cushions. Let's just say... my brain exploded and I could literally hear my bank account sobbing. So I'm trying to figure out how to cut corners. I found foam on EBay... Extra Firm, 4" x 24" x 108 for 71.20 with free shipping. Is this a good price??
flblowfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 17:13   #2

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49
Re: FOAM

This is where we have purchased our interior foam for our last two boats. Good foam and it lasts w/o crushing down.

We also made "flow thru" cockpit cushions with some closed cell foam purchased from the same site.

Cheers,
Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 17:23   #3

FOAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
This is where we have purchased our interior foam for our last two boats. Good foam and it lasts w/o crushing down.

We also made "flow thru" cockpit cushions with some closed cell foam purchased from the same site.

Cheers,
Bill O.

Bill,

Was there a website or photo that was supposed to be included?

It won't let me send the picture of the eBay listing.
Old 30-06-2017, 17:41   #4

Boat: J/42

I used the 4" foam from Ebay.
Caution: It comes in neat compressed bales, but once you open it up, it takes up a lot of storage space.
Amazing how much volume the stuff takes up in the boat. Since the original cushions were 2", there are a couple of places where the thicker stuff causes fitment problems. And that two inches turns out to make low side of the quarter berth surprisingly more claustrophobic. It's comfy to sleep on though.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 17:51   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
I used the 4" foam from Ebay.
Caution: It comes in neat compressed bales, but once you open it up, it takes up a lot of storage space.
Amazing how much volume the stuff takes up in the boat. Since the original cushions were 2", there are a couple of places where the thicker stuff causes fitment problems. And that two inches turns out to make low side of the quarter berth surprisingly more claustrophobic. It's comfy to sleep on though.

Thanks! All the old foam, including the 1/4 berth, is 4". We are going with 4" for the seats and 3" for the backs. Did you have vinyl bottoms on your seat cushions or full fabric??
Old 30-06-2017, 18:06   #6

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by flblowfish View Post
Bill,

Was there a website or photo that was supposed to be included?

It won't let me send the picture of the eBay listing.

Yes there are embedded links in my original reply if you click on "interior foam" and "cockpit cushions".

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 18:15   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by flblowfish View Post
Thanks! All the old foam, including the 1/4 berth, is 4". We are going with 4" for the seats and 3" for the backs. Did you have vinyl bottoms on your seat cushions or full fabric??
LOL They're still not finished because I keep adding "mods" that affect the shape of the cushions. I've wasted a lot of foam. Some of them are still covered with indian blankets. But the plan is all sunbrella cover. Plus a wrap of plush material over the foam and a wrap of thin plastic, like dry cleaners wrapping above that, to assist in vacuum collapsing the foam.
See the DIYs at SailRite. (Then feel guilty about looking elsewhere for cheaper material...)
FWIW, What was left of the original cushions had bare plywood backing. The fabric was just stapled into the plywood.
Old 30-06-2017, 18:32   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
LOL They're still not finished because I keep adding "mods" that affect the shape of the cushions. I've wasted a lot of foam. Some of them are still covered with indian blankets. But the plan is all sunbrella cover. Plus a wrap of plush material over the foam and a wrap of thin plastic, like dry cleaners wrapping above that, to assist in vacuum collapsing the foam.

See the DIYs at SailRite. (Then feel guilty about looking elsewhere for cheaper material...)

FWIW, What was left of the original cushions had bare plywood backing. The fabric was just stapled into the plywood.

I'm not using Sunbrella but another quality outdoor brand; Robert Allen. In all reality, as much as I hate saying this, my kids and grandkids will probably never come visit. It will just be hubby and myself. So, as for fabric, I found something I can live with that was on serious clearance and still is outdoor rated. We have to cut corners where we can and I figure I would rather have good port lights and toilet than lifetime fabric on my salon cushions. Having a budget just sucks
Old 30-06-2017, 18:41   #9

Mine is not "real" sunbrella either - remainders of some lightweight material from Ebay. Recently saw JoAnn fabric had a pattern that I kind of liked in a similar material on sale. Probably just as well that I already had the solid color purchased, because I probably could have made some hideous mistakes trying to line up the pattern.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:28   #10

I did a lot of shopping around a few years back, when I was redoing the foam in a camper trailer. Ended up buying from foamorder.com, where I found what I needed at a very fair price, and got very good service. I would definitely deal with them again.

If you buy off of ebay, I would suggest comparing the price to what foamorder.com offers.

Good luck.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote