Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2017, 04:56   #1

Boat: Columbia, 8.3 and 8.7 (1977)
Foam Cushions

Hello. My boat is now 40 years old and the original 4 inch thick cushions are still being used. They aren't too bad but could be improved upon. I can't afford to replace them so was wondering if I were to purchase 1 inch high density foam and attach to either side of the existing would that work. If so, how would I glue them together. I intend to re upholster them as well. Thanks
weephee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 05:12   #2

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: Foam Cushions

Quote:
Originally Posted by weephee View Post
Hello. My boat is now 40 years old and the original 4 inch thick cushions are still being used. They aren't too bad but could be improved upon. I can't afford to replace them so was wondering if I were to purchase 1 inch high density foam and attach to either side of the existing would that work. If so, how would I glue them together. I intend to re upholster them as well. Thanks
By the time you buy enough 1 inch foam for both sides, spray glue, etc. you're most of the way to the cost of new 4inch foam. If you are going to reupholster, then you might as well replace the foam too.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 05:43   #3

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

If you need an inexpensive option....blue foam camp mats are the same high density foam. If your original foam is compressed you can probably use the camp pad foam inside the old cover. It is about 3/8. It's just enough to keep you from bottoming out on the cushion. You can also just put the pad under your existing cushions without doing anything else!

By the way, I don't agree that "you may as well..." . New 2" x 24 high density foam is less than 50.00 for 84" length. 1" is under 40.00. My guess is that your old foam is sufficiently compressed enough that you could simply add 1" foam to your existing cushions without new covers. That's a great option if your existing covers are in good shape.

By the way Sail rite and foam source both sell the high density foam.
Old 22-02-2017, 05:49   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I am in the same boat, mine are 30 yrs old and flatten out and are uncomfortable. I have as a temporary measure put a Yoga mat under them, it helps only a little.
I'd say do not scrimp on foam, buy the good stuff or you will be very unhappy with the result.
However at least as long as you may the covers easily removable its not a fatal mistake, you can always go to "good" foam later
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 05:59   #5

Yoga mats are great alternative to buying expensive foam. On sale they're about $10 or less a piece and about 4 or 5 will be enough for a cockpit cushion (1 or 2 more for a cabin cushion). My liveaboard friends made cockpit cushions out of these using left over Sunbrella fabric. Slept on them many a warm night in the cockpit and can vouch for the comfort.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 07:28   #6

We replaced ours, use 2" high density as base then 2" medium glued on top.
GoI'd quality foam, ordered online from a foam company direct
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 14:42   #7

Boat: Columbia, 8.3 and 8.7 (1977)

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try and find some 1 inch high density and see how that works.
weephee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 16:26   #8

Boat: S&S Catalina 38

Try this place- Foam Factory, Inc.

I think you will be surprised that replacing the 4" foam will be close to the same cost as beefing them up with 2 layers of 1 inch, plus it is easier. Use your old cushions as templates, use a bread knife or even better an electric knife and you can get the foam done in a day.
tsell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cushions