Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 17:52   #31

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer
Re: Foam in mast

The Macgregor 26M comes from the factory with a few shots of foam, creating 2 air pockets.

PITA running wires. We had to 'drill' through the foam to run wires to the mast top (anchor light, vhf antenna). I can see if water did get in, could be hard for it to drain quickly.
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2011, 16:25   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Our mast weighs 900 # and the boat is 36 tons. Maybe I should fill the mast with helium?
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 07:55   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

When calculating how much trapped air you need to float the mast figure about sixty pounds of floatation for each cubic foot. Don't jump on me, I said "ABOUT". I'm too lazy to look up the exact number.
Old 23-12-2011, 10:21   #34

How about those key ring recovery buoys, each one will lift 1kg, water activatied, stuff your mast with them??
Merry Christmas folks!
Woodentop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2011, 13:38   #35

Boat: Krogen 58' Xiao Xiu
Send a message via MSN to JayCall

From a former F-4 flyer-the reason that chaff worked against the old AA missiles is not becase the chaff showed up strongly on radar or because it produced a particular radar signature, it was simply because it could produce multiple (in reality hundreds) of radar signals just strong enough to confuse the old radar based guidance systems on SAM-1 and Sam-2 AA missiles. With multiple signals, those guidance systems could not "lock on" to a single signal and aim for it. Indeed, such ECM contributed to AA missiles that locked in on engine exhaust heat rather than a radar signal.

The chaff produced something that would look like modern digital radar seeing a flock of birds-a lot of radar chatter but you can't pick out an individual bird.
JayCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 00:04   #36

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
What about one of the floats you see on multihulls to keep them from completely going over? (please no wisecracks from the mono v multi debate!). It seems like that may provide some buoyancy. No experience just a late night thought. SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 07:33   #37

Boat: Parkins Herreshoff 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post
What about one of the floats you see on multihulls to keep them from completely going over? (please no wisecracks from the mono v multi debate!). It seems like that may provide some buoyancy. No experience just a late night thought. SC
thought about that too... althought i think the reason you only see them on dinghies is because the amount of windage created by one big enough to keep a big rig from going over is to great to justify its use... now an inflatible bag at the top of the mast with a reliable water activator could do the trick...
pressuredrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2011, 12:20   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

A foam filled mast will help the AVS. Lots of other drawbacks, as others have pointed out, but can be worthwile.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2011, 13:12   #39

I must say I do not know why you are afraid of your mast sinking but the thing I have done to stop wires clanging in my mast was to fill it up with styro peanuts. worked like a champ used a shop vac and only had to stand it at about a 30 degree angle - just use a little canned foam to seal the bottom.
xiabbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast