Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2012, 05:24   #1

Boat: Swift 40 - BaDonkaDonk
Foot Pumps

I plan on adding a fresh water foot pump in the galley and head. My original thought was to connect foot pump in line to the pressure water system supply to the faucet. After reading the install manual for the whale foot pump they state that the pump is not to be used in a pressure system.

I'm wondering now do I need a separate water tank supply connection or can I tee off the supply to the water pump.

Can someone that already have foot pumps installed describe how the pumps are feed from the water tank. Many thanks.

Bill
wgh52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 05:33   #2

Boat: Sunbeam 42
Re: Foot Pumps

Just had to replace ours and discovered the same problem after the previous owner's install. An initial T-off the supply before the pump appeared to work but the pump created a pressure drop leading to leaks so I had to add inline shut-off taps (John Guest) at both ends. OK now.
472426_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 05:34   #3

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

I haven't done it yet, but will add a footpump on my boat. You probably need to insert a "T" in the line between the tank and electric pump. Make sure you also put a check valve in so your electric pump doesn't suck air in through the foot pump and end up cavitating.

I suspect the reason they don't want you to mount the footpump after the electric pump is that the footpump is not tight. It will leak when under pressure, causing the electric pump to start and soon you'll have empty tanks.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 07:06   #4

Boat: Swift 40 - BaDonkaDonk

Good point on the check valves. In my case I have two tanks so by inserting a tee just before the tank, it will be after the values that select the tank to draw from. Which foot pump are you planning on installing?
wgh52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 08:15   #5

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

I haven't picked one out yet. It will be next year

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 08:29   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

We have Whale Gusher Galley MK3 footpumps for both salt and fresh water in the galley and have been very happy with them.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 17:24   #7

Boat: Sabre 42
I have a whale foot pump installed after a water filter, and before my pressure pump. Each time the pressure pump runs, the foot pump puts out a little squirt. And I can't use foot pump while pressure pump is running, it won't spring back up because of the suction on the pressure pump.

Otherwise, no worries at all.
Old 20-11-2012, 17:36   #8

If installed on the pressure water it will freely flow (Whale type). Mine freely flows when the watermaker has filled the tanks.

Yes, I sometimes have the dribble when the pressure pump stops. Feeding from near the tank (vs. near the pressure pump inlet) might cure this as well as the difficulty of pumping while the pressure pump is operating.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote