Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2022, 11:52   #1

Boat: 1999 Jeanneau 36.2
Fouling on prop problem

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum for this, but has anyone seen this
sort of fouling and what might be causing it? We've had the boat for 6 years, the first four seasons at SSYC in Milwaukee, and the last two seasons at McKinley Marina. Both seasons at McKinley we've had this chalky buildup on the prop. In 2020 the prop was the two blade fixed that came with the boat. In 2021 I installed an EWOL stainless steel feathering prop. After the first season (2020), I installed a galvanic isolator, thinking that we were the ground for someone else's stray current, but it didn't help.

We had a magnesium anode on the prop shaft, but removed it later in the season because I thought we may have been overprotected. The boat is a Jeanneau S/O 36.2. Nothing is bonded. The boat has been on Lake Michigan since 1999 (new) and we've never had any problems like this until berthing at McKinley.

There is also some pitting / oxidation? on the p-bracket and etching of the bottom paint (VC-17) on the hull directly above the p-bracket and prop shaft.

Geitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 13:44   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Fouling on prop problem

Are you the only one in the marina experiencing this issue? Were the yard crew shocked to see this? I’ve never seen anything like this…….
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 05:44   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Bond the boat, with magnesium anodes. It's freshwater, but you've set up a battery of some sort, given the pitting and growth.
Old 11-01-2022, 07:00   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
Are you the only one in the marina experiencing this issue? Were the yard crew shocked to see this? I’ve never seen anything like this…….

I'm not sure if I'm the only one. I've asked the marina manager if anyone else experienced it, but she said she has not heard from anyone.

We were all shocked to see it.

Mike
Old 11-01-2022, 08:27   #5
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geitz View Post
We had a magnesium anode on the prop shaft, but removed it later in the season because I thought we may have been overprotected.
I don't understand why you would do this. What indication did you have that you were "overprotected"?
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 12:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
I don't understand why you would do this. What indication did you have that you were "overprotected"?

I found an article from a company in Australia that described the problem (i'll try to find it to share), as well as this thread:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ft-249441.html

We've had the boat for 6 years. For the first 4 years the only anode on it was a prop-nut zinc, which I never replaced because there was no corrosion anywhere. The shaft, prop and p-bracket always looked as good as new. As far as I know, there has never been any other anode since the boat was new. I added the mg anode, just in case, the last season the boat was at SSYC. On haul-out, there was no calcareous buildup but the prop looked like it got plated from the mg anode. No problem until moving the boat to McKinley.
Old 11-01-2022, 12:43   #7

One other thing that might be notable, there was always a current running through the harbor at SSYC. At McKinley, it's dead calm.
Old 11-01-2022, 14:13   #8
CLOD

Boat: none

I notice it is only on the prop, including the zinc. It isn't on the shaft or strut. What does the prop look like after you clean all that off?
Old 11-01-2022, 15:09   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I notice it is only on the prop, including the zinc. It isn't on the shaft or strut. What does the prop look like after you clean all that off?

It looks like new. It's an EWOL stainless feathering prop that is not polished, but bead blasted.

https://ewol-propellers.com/e3-andromeda/