Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2020, 12:29   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423
Freezing concern for horizontal mast storage?

We store our Beneteau 423 on the hard each winter in New England. Often it is with the mast up. When we have pulled the mast it has been stored in a shed or on a rack with some moderate level of rain / snow protection. We are storing the boat this year at a new-to-us yard that leaves the masts outside on racks with no rain or snow protection. This particular yard suggests covering the spreaders so that water does leak in and result in ice building up inside, cracking the spreader. Of course there is no rain or snow protection for the mast when the boat is stored with the mast up.

I will take their advice but I've not heard of this happening before. Do any of you in freezing climates cover your spreaders or have you experienced this sort of freezing problem?

Thanks,
Harry
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 12:37   #2

Boat: Sabre 34
Re: Freezing concern for horizontal mast storage?

Can’t you remove the spreaders and wrap tie the mast with tarp/canvas/bubble wrap?
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2020, 15:48   #3

Boat: 1988 Morgan classic 41
Freezing concern for horizontal mast storage?

I’ve been storing my mast outdoors, on a mast rack, in Canadian winters for the past ten years without issue. I remove the spreaders and store them in the boat. Then I wrap the mast with some rope to help keep all the rigging neat and tidy. Do not wrap any part of the mast with any kind of cover. When, not if, any water gets inside your wrap, your mast will be sitting in ice/ water all winter long.

By the way, same advise goes for your furler if you have one. Mine gets tied up against the mast. Just make sure when the mast is stored, that the furler is on the top or side of the mast, not under it.
Morgan Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, storage