Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2013, 08:25   #1

Boat: Helleman, 45' Steel Trawler
Fresh Water Pump with Sensor

Does anybody have any experience with the fresh water pumps made by Jabsco or Shurflo with the Sensors which increase the pump speed as demand increases?

There is a Jabsco Par Max 4 and a Shurflo 5.7...but a couple of reviews I've seen say that the pumps break down very quickly.

I like the fact that water pressure remains constant throughour the system even when two water outlets are turned on, and there is no need for an accumulator tank, and the pump is quiet, strong, and doesn't cycle. But I dont want to go through two pumps a year...

Does anybody have experience with these pumps, or is there a better alternative?
Honey Ryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:45   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Fresh Water Pump with Sensor

We have had the Shurflo 5.7 for several years now. They are very quiet and smooth. However, the pressure really doesn't stay constant when other taps are opened. Instead, it drops, then quickly comes back up. Does the same when another tap is closed. But it does stay constant while the taps are running. The reason is because these are variable speed pumps and the computer takes a second to realize that more speed is needed for more water. I don't know why people are going through two each year - I haven't heard that and it doesn't make sense why they would stick with a pump like that.

Our first one lasted 3 years and developed a rip in the rubber diaphragm. I thought this was normal usage for a maintenance part, but when I emailed Shurflo to get a part number for the rebuild kit, they asked where I was located, called a local chandlery and arranged for a complete new pump exchange. This new pump is 2 years old now with no problems.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 13:01   #3

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser

ive got a par max 4 ive used full time for 25 months and it hasnt missed a beat.

Pity the jabsco head isnt as good
Old 10-05-2013, 13:10   #4

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I had my first Jabsco VSD pump one month short of three years ( 3 year warranty). I was flushing my tanks and the controller fried. It supposed to be thermally protected , but it wasn't quite enough I guess, as it shut down and wouldn't reset. I called the service department and they sent me a new one. They didn't even want the old one back. It's now 2 years old going strong. Rather than go through the inconvienience of replacing another one. Despite the fact that it was free, it took three weeks to get it, because they are built in batches and the service department didn't have one on the shelf, but had to wait for the next production run. Now I just diisconnect it and let the tank gravity drain into the bilge and let the bilge pump take care of it (I have a nice clean bilge so don't get on my case people). It is also a good check of bilge pump function in normally dry bilges. I'm happy with the Jabsco. One note on noise level. While at low flow rates it is very quiet, at high flow rates it makes about the same amount of noise as any other pump. I would call it quite noisy at high flow rates.

Bill
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 13:53   #5

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Ryder View Post
Does anybody have any experience with the fresh water pumps made by Jabsco or Shurflo with the Sensors which increase the pump speed as demand increases? There is a Jabsco Par Max 4 and a Shurflo 5.7...but a couple of reviews I've seen say that the pumps break down very quickly.
The Par Max 4 we have came with the boat. The only issue was a VERY slow drip-leak that fell onto, and eventually ruined, the electronic sensor wire connections. Replaced that sensor back in '08, redid the water hose adapter connectors using Teflon tape, and re-orientated the pump . Quite happy with the unit.
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 03:43   #6

Thank you all for your comments.

Just doing a little more research...and there is a variable speed pump made by Remco called an Aquajet....seems designed for the RV market....but looks like a good pump...any experience of it out there?
Old 11-05-2013, 04:30   #7

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Thank you all for your comments.

Just doing a little more research...and there is a variable speed pump made by Remco called an Aquajet....seems designed for the RV market....but looks like a good pump...any experience of it out there?
Marine pumps tend to come with sealed "explosion proof" motors. I looked up the specs on this pump and there was nothing said about an ""explosion proof" motor. RV's don't have bilges where explosive gases can accumulate, boats do. If you have no liquid or gaseous fuel on board this may not be an issue for you, but if you do you would want to consider not using an RV pump without an "explosion proof" motor.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 13:36   #8

Good thought Captain Bill.

I will put the pump in the bilge under the main cabin. The cabin has a bulkhead between it and the engine bay. My engine is diesel...and I dont think that there are any diesel fumes in my cabin, or else I would smell them??
Old 11-05-2013, 17:47   #9

Quote:
Good thought Captain Bill.

I will put the pump in the bilge under the main cabin. The cabin has a bulkhead between it and the engine bay. My engine is diesel...and I dont think that there are any diesel fumes in my cabin, or else I would smell them??
Aquajet looks like a neat pump. Two thoughts:
- As well as diesel fumes, don't forget about possible propane leaks.
- Aquajet draws up to 10 amps...make sure your existing wiring can support the potential draw.
67Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 18:18   #10

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

The Shurflo 5.7 pump is not sealed or screened for explosion and I will take a bet that the Jabsco is not also. In fact, I have never seen a marine water pump that is. That Remco looks like it may be worth the risk of trying since it is considerably less money. Typically, the marine market sells into the RV market also, but it doesn't necessarily work the other way when a company doesn't want the hassle of us boaters (RV'ers tend to spend a lot more money more readily and just buy new gear when theirs stop working after a decade, rather than push for a refund or complain).

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 18:39   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
(RV'ers tend to spend a lot more money more readily and just buy new gear when theirs stop working after a decade, rather than push for a refund or complain).
Ha. Weird. Agree.

Bilge pumps are generally protected...not sure how low in the bilge that protection is/should extend.
67Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 08:00   #12

i think i will go with the aquajet...looks to be a strong product and no bad reviews/reliability issues that i can find...and only $160. they claim that the pump is quieter than the shurflo/jabsco too.

i have no propane or any gas at all onboard.

thank you all for your thoughts and comments.

Tags
water