Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2017, 11:54   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5
Re: Fridge not cold enough

Any update?

How did it go ?

Regards John.
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2017, 13:55   #32

Boat: O'Day 40

I found a refrigeration shop close by. The technician couldn't find any leak so he added a small amount of R132a until the pressure was right. Sniffed it again and said he figures, if it took 4 years to leak that little bit, it probably will be good for that long again.
The Admiral is happy and says it is working better than ever. That's all that really counts.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:53   #33

Boat: Moody 49

I am long term cruising currently in Greece.

I have the need to recharge a Danfoss bd35.

Can I use automotive R134A? I.e. What is in the automotive AC system gas can that hurts a Danfoss Compressor?

Where can I buy R134A in aerosol can size either in U.K. Or Greece? Or about 200gms of refrigerant?
Mark Thurlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 02:46   #34

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

134a, unless it is very old, is nearly certainly what was used in your system - and unless Greek 134a varies from what is available in the US, it's the stuff to use.

Just keep all contaminants out of the system; I presume you will have vacuumed it down before recharging? And that you have the means to tap the can and feed no-contaminant refrigerant to the system?
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:39   #35

I have the need to recharge a Danfoss bd35.

Can I use automotive R134A? I.e. What is in the automotive AC system gas can that hurts a Danfoss Compressor?

Automotive R134a may have additives in it that could cause problems with your marine refrigeration system, especially if it's a capillary tube type system. Simply make certain it's pure R134a and not one with added oils, leak detection fluid, dyes, etc to avoid a potential mishap.
Anna Sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:48   #36

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

R-134a is the refrigerant used in all USA cars these days. This is most likely what is used in the Eurozone as well. Unless your refrigeration unit is marked as using some earlier type, R-134a is what you should get for your unit. Make sure it is refrigerant only, no added sealant or lubricant.
You will need the valve that punctures and closes off the pressure seal on the can and a short hose with an adapter to the connector on the low side of your compressor. I got the adapter at a commercial air conditioning supplier.
In the absence of pressure gauges the procedure for my Frigoboat F35V is to have the compressor off long enough for the refrigerator to be at room temperature. Then place the can upright so only gas (no liquid) will flow. Then remove the LOW pressure connection to the compressor, vent some refrigerant from the can to purge the lines and quickly connect the hose to the compressor. Open the the can valve and wait a short time (15 sec or so) for the pressure to be balanced. Close the valve, disconnect the hose and reconnect the compressor lines.
In the USA, the refrigerant cans can be resealed by removing the valve assembly after each charging.
This will give you a close to normal charge of refrigerant.
But... Sometimes air or moisture has entered the compressor/ evaporator system, you will need to draw a deep vacuum to remove contaminants. You might find an auto a/c repairman to do this if you don't want to spend the US$200 for a vacuum pump and manifold. This also is a leak test because the gauges should show the vacuum holding for a good while after evacuation.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 12:52   #37

Boat: Moody 49

Thanks - just need to get the pure R134A gas in a suitable container preferably in the UK?
Mark Thurlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 16:25   #38

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

The EU seems to have different rules about purchasing R134A. You may be forced into using an air conditioning mechanic unless you want to by the gas in bulk plus the fittings. Any largish port should have one or more. Maybe you could speak with one and get some guidance.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote