Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2022, 14:03   #1

Boat: Dinieper Tropic 1200, 42', steel
Frigoboat keel cool deep clean

My boat came with two frigoboat sintered keel coolers. The PO didn’t clean them at all when he took over the boat a year and a half ago so they look like this now (pics included are “raw” and “scraped”) the frigoboat manuals I have have recommendations for maintenance cleaning and cleaning after a fresh haul out but nothing like this. What’s the best way to go about this? I understand that mechanical cleaning is staunchly not recommended.

Also is it ok to run these out of the water? I understand they aren’t designed for it but maybe the loads are ok for light use? (Fridge loads on a freezer system in the shade with the keel cooler on a steel hull)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F90674FD-4D6C-4E5A-8E4D-6C5CFF742237.jpeg
Views:	118
Size:	364.8 KB
ID:	251116   Click image for larger version

Name:	CF426892-80F2-42C2-8FCB-8211F7AE97E2.jpeg
Views:	106
Size:	320.5 KB
ID:	251117  

TiPegleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 14:35   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Frigoboat keel cool deep clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiPegleg View Post
My boat came with two frigoboat sintered keel coolers. The PO didn’t clean them at all when he took over the boat a year and a half ago so they look like this now (pics included are “raw” and “scraped”) the frigoboat manuals I have have recommendations for maintenance cleaning and cleaning after a fresh haul out but nothing like this. What’s the best way to go about this? I understand that mechanical cleaning is staunchly not recommended.

Also is it ok to run these out of the water? I understand they aren’t designed for it but maybe the loads are ok for light use? (Fridge loads on a freezer ssytem in the shade with the keel cooler on a steel hull)
No to running keel coolers out of water past History is available proves both systems can be destroyed by operation without adequate cooling.

20% acid in water for barnacle removing.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 15:08   #3

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Richard,
What "acid" are you recommending? (possibly muriatic acid/hydrochloric acid?)
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 17:07   #4
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Richard,
What "acid" are you recommending? (possibly muriatic acid/hydrochloric acid?)
Muriatic-ACID Available in boat yards, Hardware stores and pool supply stores.
It is very dangerous to breath or get on skin so wear protection. Read the instructions especially when adding it to the water. Wait after you apply it but wash it off before it dries some agitation is required.

There are three different models of this Keel cooler, I would like to know if they are connected to the boats through hull grounding system or direct to battery ground. Or are they protected by zincs? I would also like to know if boat has AC isolation transformers. Their pictures do not indicate the surface round zincs used on one type of VESCO cooler.
Old 12-01-2022, 19:49   #5

I have no idea what type they are. They are so completely encrusted that I can’t really see anything at all.
Old 13-01-2022, 03:18   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiPegleg View Post
I have no idea what type they are. They are so completely encrusted that I can’t really see anything at all.
Because these shells or what ever only are on the plates and they are not on the hull would indicate low voltage discharge much higher level than normal. Almost like a radio antenna ground plate. Because there does not show metal loss I guess you will need to clean them often. An increase of electrical amperage on each system is an indication of poor keel cooler performance.
Old 13-01-2022, 09:40   #7

Or that the keel coolers were not coated with anti-foul and then the already crusty coolers were put back in the water for 1.5 years ��… this is on a steel boat with huge anodes.
Old 13-01-2022, 10:52   #8

Boat: KM Yachts Makkum Bestevaer 53

Never, ever, coat these coolers with anything, these are meant to be porous in order to be able to cool the refrigerant.
STAYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 05:59   #9

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

Have had this unit on my Steel cutter for a few years. I soak the unit in Vinegar (Muriatic acid MIGHT be too strong) I then attack it GENTLY with a wire wheel. Once a year or so at most usually every two years. Yes, it has to be porous, you can't paint it. To soak it, I prop a small container with a sponge inside and jam it up against the unit to submerge it, Yeah, a bit of a stunt but it works. I soak and brush it several times while I'm on the hard painting the bottom etc. Yes, a PIA but the Frigiboat is just the best.
Old 14-01-2022, 16:09   #10

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

you should have two anodes in the keel cooler that need to be replaced, I can't see them but I hope they are there.

My understanding is you turn on the fan on the frigaboat condenser when your have the boat on the hard to provide cooling of the refrigerant.

The refrigerant still goes through the keel cooler but since air is not a very good conductor it does not help cool the refrigerant as well as when it is in the water.
Mike Crothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2022, 04:23   #11

Boat: Tartan 40

You don’t need anodes if it’s tied into your grounding and anode system. You can get keel coolers with or without anodes
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2022, 11:13   #12

Boat: Oyster 054
Send a message via Skype™ to sailian89

DO NOT RUN ON THE HARD. We ran the freezer for short periods on the hard, trying to use it as a fridge. MISTAKE. we had to replace the freezer expansion or cold plate. And this was in NZ, not the tropics.
sailian89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2022, 14:32   #13

Frigoboat keel cool deep clean

I brush mine with a steel brush to clean it every spring. Sometimes I use one of these steel brushes that you can put on a power drill r to polish it. Been doing this for 10 years without problems. And don’t run them on the hard. I think you got that by now.
Flod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, keel