Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2018, 09:51   #1

Boat: Irwin 38cc
Ft Lauderdale area bowsprit & bow pulpit repair

A yacht broke free from it's mooring and bent my bowsprit, bow pulpit and more. Can anyone recommend someplace in the Ft Lauderdale area where I can have this repaired?

Regards
Haute Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:50   #2

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo
Re: Ft Lauderdale area bowsprit & bow pulpit repair

You will likely need to use several different contractors for repairs. The 3" aluminum support that attaches to the hull will need an aluminum fabricator to reproduce. I do not have a contractor that I could recommend, but there are several fabricators of "tuna towers" that are located in Fort Lauderdale.
The teak anchor platform could be duplicated by the excellent woodworkers at Sefarer Marine, 3100 SW 3rd Ave, Fort Lauderdale. (954 763 4263) You would have to take the old one to them so they can duplicate it, They do not do work at the boat.
A stainless steel fabricator will be needed to repair or replace the pulpit. I can recommend the fabricator that repaired my pulpit when I had a 38 Irwin CC. His name is John Brabault, 954 990 3610. His shop is on the street behind Lester's Diner on Rt 84.
If you need additionl info, you can call me at 914 656 5952.
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:57   #3

No teak anchor platform....all stainless. Thank you so much! I will give john a call now.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:29   #4

Boat: Catalina 470

Speak to Chris at YRM in Fort Lauderdale. They've done good work for me.
http://yrmcustom.com/metal-division/

-David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 11:21   #5

Both John and Chris are super nice guys. Now I need someone in Ft Lauderdale to touch up my boot-stripe where the plow anchor was pushed into the hull. May need a touch of fiberglass work....?? but I really think it only needs painting.

Thanks,
Cheryl
Old 08-02-2018, 13:18   #6

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo

You say "boot stripe" where anchor did some damage. I am guessing that you mean cove stripe. On the Irwin 38, it is a wide stripe (about 8in wide) and goes all the way around the hull between the cap rail and the rub rail. I think that you might have to haul out for that kind of repair. I don't think that anyone will attempt that repair in the water. If you are in an insurance claim situation, this should be covered under the claim.
If that is the situation, I would recommend hauling out at Playboy Marine, 954-920-0533.
There are several contractors there that can help with fiberglass and painting. Both Absolute Boat Care (954-643-0001) and Brushonix Yacht Refinishing (954-560-6498) are very good at what they do.
It might be a good idea to have all the work done while hauled out. A stable work platform is always conducive to good work.

By the way, where in Fort Lauderdale are you located?
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 13:23   #7

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain465 View Post
There are several contractors there that can help with fiberglass and painting. Both Absolute Boat Care (954-643-0001) and Brushonix Yacht Refinishing (954-560-6498) are very good at what they do.
It might be a good idea to have all the work done while hauled out. A stble work platform is always conducive to good work.
Another really good contractor working out of Playboy Marine is Leandro with Patagonia Services Division. I worked with him when I hauled my boat there last July, and cannot recommend him highly enough.

-David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bowsprit