Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 21:28   #31

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Fuel Spill!

Don't top em off! leave em a little low and carry a jerry can or something of that sort, to give ya what ya need ! saves a bunch of trouble and worry !! just a thought.
Old 03-08-2013, 21:29   #32
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Boat spills, truck doesn't."
Different plumbing. This is why your toilet may back up with sewage, but your refrigerator icemaker rarely does. One hopes.
And I'm point out that I've had several cars that, when filled up, will trip the gas pump shutoff, and as you are putting the pump away, fuel gushes out of the tank!
Cars and trucks do that when the fill is poorly designed and a load of "cold" gasoline causes the hot tank to contract and belch the fuel back out.

There are vent line whistles and catch cans and other ways to deal with the boat.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 22:26   #33
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
A car has about 15million dollars of design investment and is designed as a single entity for a specific purpose.

Boats are cobbled together from a mis mash of custom, semi-custom and off the shelf parts and then put together , someti es quite haphazardly

Dave
Old 04-08-2013, 09:48   #34

Re: Fuel Spill !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Sounds like you have had to deal with this to a much greater degree than I have. I have wondered if a larger vent line would make any difference but if I recall, the vent lines I have seen on a car tank weren't particularly large.
I definitely think a large vent line would help. Not common though. Vent lines most often run horizontal from the top of the tank... causes them to "burp" up some fuel with the air as the tank gets pressure inside from rapid filling.
Yeah, filling inside the cabin leads to diesel fumes for sure. The vent whistles I had stopped whistling just in time for some fuel to burp out! I had one boat that was real bad... at the end of fueling, the vent would suddenly spew out about a cup of fuel! arghhh. I bought one of those devices that holds fuel in a container at the vent (maybe a pint) and it worked pretty well.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:22   #35
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"A car has about 15million dollars of design investment"
No wonder British Sports Cars have so many issues. Damned cheap investment compared to the rest of the world. :-)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel