Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2019, 10:50   #1

Boat: 1976 Tradewind 34
Full face respirator for fiberglass grinding and painting

I wear glasses and find it very awkward to use a respirator and goggles at the same time. I am planning on doing some bottom work on the hard and thought it might be useful to get a full fave respirator like the one in the picture below. Any recommendations on what to get? There also seems to be a lot of options for cartridges, what would be the most suitable for fiberglass grinding, epoxy and painting?

Thank you! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5183.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	189234
hd002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:03   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Full face respirator for fiberglass grinding and painting

the one you show is great. It should come with the correct cartridges. Note that for dust, there is a separate dust filter that goes on top of the cartridge before inserting it into the holder. Most 3M respirators come with 2 pairs of those and you can buy them separately from cartridges as well.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:40   #3

Boat: Freedom 38

Does this fit OVER your ears? If so, then it will likely work with glasses. If not, then it won't work as a respirator and filter appropriately. I had one in which the lenses only were attached to a hook that clipped into the face shield. This was specially made for my prescription, but maybe they have some now for certain magnfication already built in. You should be able to ask the manufacturer or look at the manual to see how glasses work with it. Also, if you're buying online, it's going to be hard to know if it fits or not without doing a fit test. Check the cartridges, too, to see if you have the ones for organic vapors. Other cartridges are for different hazardous materials.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 11:55   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd002e View Post
Any recommendations on what to get? There also seems to be a lot of options for cartridges, what would be the most suitable for fiberglass grinding, epoxy and painting?
Certainly the 3M product is good, but at least one consideration is the cost vs lifespan of the filters, particularly if you follow the instruction on the filter.

If you can splurge a little, which might not be splurging much in the long-run if you're going to do a lot of work, consider googling "hobby respirators" (basically hookah on the surface with a high CFM low pressure air source piped in from a cleaner area). Just like hookah systems, you can buy a system, or, DIY system. Lots of websites.

I've not looked into these things in years, but some of the systems have like 2 hoses...one for you to breath, the second to plug into your ~Tyvek suit giving a steady flow of air into the suit, the latter benefit being of particular value to some.

I don't mean for a second that these devices provide more utility than a 3M carbon filter, meaning the hobby respirators shouldn't be used in enclosed spaces or anywhere else that a simple filter mask would not be acceptable. I'm pretty sure that these things can provide exposure protect as good as any screw-in filter, assuming you have electricity and fresh air source for the pump.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages...s/hobbyair.php
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hobby.JPG
Views:	164
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	189235  
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 17:04   #5

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

I haven't got a picture handy, but I use a full face shield style mask and feed it positive air pressure from an old CPAP machine I was given by a friend. The hose is a bit of a nuisance, but I still think it beats the inevitable crap that seems to get past filter cartridge style masks like these.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:18   #6

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
I haven't got a picture handy, but I use a full face shield style mask and feed it positive air pressure from an old CPAP machine I was given by a friend. The hose is a bit of a nuisance, but I still think it beats the inevitable crap that seems to get past filter cartridge style masks like these.
Not to mention the added bonus of having some cool air piped in. My worst problem with a respirator has always been my glasses fogging.
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:37   #7

Boat: Cabo Rico 45

The 3M product you have pictured is a good unit and what I use. I wear glasses. HOWEVER, I find it unbearable to use this mask while wearing glasses due to the pressure it places on the arms of the glass frames in front of my ears. Fortunately my vision is adequate for the work I do without my glasses.
davido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:38   #8

Boat: Bristol 27

I just did the bottom of my boat and at first used the air filter respirator masks with the valve, but they really fogged up my glasses

I ended up having better luck with the plain jane air respirator filter masks without the valve with goggles over my glasses (and sometimes just glasses if not directly under the boat)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3MR8577_large.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	24.2 KB
ID:	189287   Click image for larger version

Name:	41U4TjzGWqL.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	189290  

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 12:45   #9

Unfortunately, N-95 respirators are for particulates and not gases.
Old 03-04-2019, 14:00   #10

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Unfortunately, N-95 respirators are for particulates and not gases.
Keep in mind the only time you would worry about gases is if you are spraying a boat or painting the interior. I might get some push back on this but I would certainly forgo a vapor mask if I was rolling or brushing a boat.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 14:57   #11

Boat: Defever sun deck 43feet

You need a 3 m full cover mask and white painter coveralls. Duck tape sleeves to stop the dust. The dust will cover you! Sand with a portacable sander and 45 sandpaper. Good luck ��
Defeverboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 15:17   #12

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I used compressed-air tools and flooded the job area with sprayed-in water. I experienced no problems--but the resins have to be fully cured and immediately dried with a hot air blower. A method that is not suitable for all jobs--but sanding fibreglass is a bastard of a job no matter how one does it. Peel-ply saves a lot sanding and grinding.

Using non-electric tools and water means only safety glasses need to be used--there is no dust flying around in the air at all--and the water can be settled, filtered and re-used if one wished to do so.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 15:27   #13

Boat: Catalina 22 - My first boat!!

Also get a full white tyvec suit, with booties and hood. There cheap, only about $15 and worth every penny. Buy one size larger. I'm 6'3, 195 pounds. I thought an Xl would work, but the XXL was much better. You will appreciate the extra room when working over your head or in weird body positions.
kclancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 15:56   #14

Boat: Bristol 27

Some pretty costly suggestions above. Anyone can make a mountain out of a mole hill, but that's pretty much standard with new sailors and their boats which is totally fine.

As long as the job gets done, it's all up to the boat owner, but there are always less expensive ways

I mainly used the N95 masks for the last 3 bottom jobs I did, and they turned out pretty well.

Looks like a pack of 20 is under $25.00

Clothes worn were old jeans, old tee shirts, old hoodie, old shoes, etc pretty much the same as the boatyard workers that do bottom jobs wear. (hint, hint)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	c700x420.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	189321   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00074.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	442.5 KB
ID:	189322  

Name:	DSC00118.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	404.3 KB
ID:	189323   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00090.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	435.8 KB
ID:	189324  

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 17:03   #15

This video nicely explains the difference between sanding and painting. I do safety training for workplaces, but in the recreational world, it's your lungs and your choice. https://youtu.be/Z3KL7cC8bDw

Tags
fiberglass, paint