Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2008, 22:49   #16

Boat: 1988 Brewer Three Seas 40' Pilothouse
I just installed a Wallas furnace, which replaced a Volvo furnace. Both units are very similar. I have a seperate dedicated pick up tube in one of the fuel tanks for the heater, and the heater needs to be above the top of the fuel tank to avoid siphoning, not sure if this is the same with the Volvo or not. Everything I have read says you should not use the supply line to your engine to supply a furnace, it can cause trouble for both engine and heater. Scan Marine in Seattle is the dealer for Wallas and they are very knowledgeable and helpful, and were familiar with the Volvo furnace, you might give them a call. The pick up tube in the tank is simple if you have an access hatch you can get to. It just requires drilling a hole in the top of the tank and feeding the fitting up through it from inside the tank, then tightening the nut on top (mine had been removed and a bolt and washers installed to plug the hole). The fuel line for the Wallas was the same diameter as the old line so it fit on the old pick up tube which was still on the boat when I bought it. Scan has new pick up tubes and fittings. Good luck, PM me if I can be any help, going to get cold this weekend. John
jrd22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:19   #17

Boat: 41' Morgan Classic
Thanks jrd. I know I have an extra fitting on the top of the fuel tank, I'm just not sure whether there is a tube into the tank connected to it. I sure hope so, as it will be extremely difficult to put one in.

I'm pretty sure the furnace came from Scan, I'll definetly give them a call if necessary.
bytownboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel