Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2021, 15:31   #1

Boat: 44ft mono hull
Furuno wind not reading apparent wind

I have a furuno Fi50 wind instrument that has stopped reading apparent wind speed and angle.

I'm wondering if any one knows how to trouble shoot this? I'm assuming that the calculation takes place in the display unit itself and not the masthead unit.

My navnet plotter is recoeving gps data and is on the same network as the wind instrument display so assume no problem there.
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2021, 16:25   #2

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail
Re: Furuno wind not reading apparent wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly75 View Post
I have a furuno Fi50 wind instrument that has stopped reading apparent wind speed and angle.

I'm wondering if any one knows how to trouble shoot this? I'm assuming that the calculation takes place in the display unit itself and not the masthead unit.

My navnet plotter is recoeving gps data and is on the same network as the wind instrument display so assume no problem there.
I don't know about these instruments but it makes no difference where the calculation takes place, (but you're probably right, it's in the instrument) you are just as likely to have a loss of signal from the masthead. Does your instrument display zeros or it is blank (no display)?

If it is zeros or some unchanging value that is not correct, then it seems like its the incoiming signal that is missing. If the display is blank, then I'd guess it's the instrument.

I don't understand your comment about the plotter recieving gps data. That seems completely unrelated to the wind data.

So...the network is OK, the GPS is OK, the plotter is OK, but the wind data does not come through. Check the cable and connections.
Old 13-02-2021, 17:23   #3

Yes the display works, as in it shows true wind angle and true wind speed but it's not doing the calculation for apparent.

I mentioned the gps as I thought the wind display unit used SOG to calculate the apparent wind, and it gets SOG from the gps on the network.
Old 13-02-2021, 19:40   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Yes the display works, as in it shows true wind angle and true wind speed but it's not doing the calculation for apparent.

I mentioned the gps as I thought the wind display unit used SOG to calculate the apparent wind, and it gets SOG from the gps on the network.
You have the calculation need backward. Apparent wind is the raw data from the masthead sensor. True wind is calculated from AW and STW ( speed through the water)( unless set to SOG). Either way you can't have true wind if apparent wind isn't working..

Check that the masthead unit is spinning. Check the wires as they come out of the mast and go to a connector box.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2021, 08:18   #5

Unless you have a heading sensor (sometimes only when the autopilot is powered up), you will need to be moving for the calculation from apparent to true to be made. The system needs valid HDG or COG data to make the conversion from 'raw' apparent data to true.
rphdiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2021, 08:29   #6

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:

The systen calculates T from A, using boat speed from the log. Check if your log wheel is free. If it is stuck (barnacles) - your instrument cannot do the calculations.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2021, 08:59   #7
Marine Service Provider

Hello,
The configuration setting may have changed.
In setting menu 1, the first value should be "F"; the second value should be "td".
Page 29 and 30 of the user manual Oct 2007.

Otherwise you will be in repeater mode and see the data being transmitted through the NavNet .
And maybe the NavNet does not send the apparent wind data!

Of course, this is only true if you have a mechanical anemometer sensor or an LCJ Ultrasonic Wind Sensor with an analogue FI50 interface.

If you have an AIRMAR or MARETRON sensor, it's another story...
VENTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2021, 15:00   #8

Thanks for all the response, clearly I know nothing about how marine electronics work!

I use SOG on the boat and dont know if the log is working, but that would be an easy fix (its blowing 40kts at the moment so I'm not going out today to find out if the log is spinning.)
Old 14-02-2021, 15:58   #9
UFO

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
The systen calculates T from A, using boat speed from the log. Check if your log wheel is free. If it is stuck (barnacles) - your instrument cannot do the calculations.

This.

You should also be able to pull the speed log from inside the boat and clean/check - Just make sure you have the correct screw in plug to stop the water coming in once removed.
UFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2021, 00:21   #10

Quote:

Usually, I've found, that the cable into the black-box, either from wind unit or to the instrument is only making partial contact.
Treatment with contact cleaner usually resolves the problem.
Your assumption is probably incorrect.
chasfgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2021, 16:22   #11

Boat: Cal-40

I have the same Furuno unit and mine stoped working too, when I look up the mast I see the wind speed indicator is not spinning so I need to climb up there and see if it stuck somehow. The wind direction is working fine, just no wind speed. Look to make sure yours is turning in the wind, maybe you have the same issue
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furuno, wind