Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2023, 23:11   #1

Boat: Islander Bahama 30
G10 platform for deck hatch

Hi all,
I found out this week that I have a badly leaking rubber gasket that my Lewmar deck hatch sits on. It's been leaking water and damaging my already damaged cabin sole. The rubber gasket is probably 13 years old and I already patched one leak at one corner, and now the other corner is leaking badly. I just want to resolve the problem at this point.

I saw a Cal 40 the other day that had put G-10 plates onto the deck to create a flat platform for the Lewmar hatch to sit on. In the case of my boat there is some crown on the deck that the G-10 would need to marry up to. I would then paint the G-10 and bold the new Lewmar to it.

What I was thinking about trying is to use high density filler with a peanut butter consistency to fill the gaps between the G-10 and the deck, then put one or two layers of 1708 fiberglass to connect the G-10 to the deck, inside and outside. Then I would fair it and paint it (not going to bother with gel coat because in a year or two I'm going to have the entire boat painted).

What I'm wondering is whether this is the best way to attach the G-10 to the deck, or if there is another, better way to do it? Will the epoxy have enough resistance to pressure to support the G-10? We're not talking about a huge gap between the G-10 and the deck; maybe a few millimeters at the corners. Thanks!
zachduckworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2023, 23:26   #2

Boat: Islander Bahama 30
Re: G10 platform for deck hatch

Actually, I may have found my answer. I'd be doing what this guy did:

https://sailingdawntreader.com/2015/...forward-hatch/
zachduckworth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, hatch