Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2018, 07:41   #16

Boat: Knysna 440
Re: Galley/Appliance QuestionsConvection Micro Oven?

We just purchased a Samsung micro/convection oven and a 2 burner Silken induction cooktop for our catamaran. As well as 2 new Isotherm INOX refrigerators (We have a third smaller Isotherm just for drinks in the salon) For freezers we bought 2 ARB portables which will be installed under our salon seating.

Sounds like overkill to some, but it fits our needs. It's all about how and where you intend on using your boat. For us we hope to complete a slow circumnavigation including spending a couple of cyclone seasons in the Marshals or Line Islands. This requires complete off grid capabilities for months at a time. Our set up is galley down and removing heat producing propane makes cooking that much more enjoyable in the tropics.

We did not remove the propane lines so the next owner can replace it if they choose. We have 2 small fiberglass propane tanks for our grill. Our hot water is electric or engine heated. For power, we do not have a generator. Instead we have 2 wind generators and 6 solar panels so far (700 watts) Our battery bank is 1200 amps Lithionics
Lithium ~~~before the haters start in on lithium please do your research. These are not subject to thermal runaway. That's OLD news. We have 2 2000 watt inverters run in parallel. Our 2 new Yanmars are also fitted out with 250 amp alternator.

One thing not on your kitchen wishlist is an instant pot. This is without a doubt my favorite kitchen appliance. Low power draw and can bake, sautee, roast, etc.
BillsWife1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 08:21   #17

Boat: 1991 Californian 52CPMY

Hi,
I would not be in too big of a hurry to replace the propane stove. My current boat has an induction cook top and I would rather have LPG. The propane cooks so much faster, coffee takes about 1/3 of the time to perk, for example. Also, you will have to run your generator when using the stove, which is a pain. I'm thinking of converting to a propane stove. Just my .02. Good luck.

Cheer, Bill
montenido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 08:27   #18

Add a gen set and use anything you want.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2018, 09:17   #19

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithw88 View Post
The other issue for me is that I burn food far more often than using any other type of hob;

FWIW, and you probably know this anyway... sometimes the cookware is part of the problem. Thicker bottoms, often aluminum clad in stainless, are your friend, etc etc etc...

-Chris
Old 21-01-2018, 09:54   #20
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

@BillsWife1: very nice setup, thanks for sharing ! the Silken looks really good, the silicon pad if it works is a great idea ! I am worried 1800W might not be enough to cook a big meal for 8+ people though ...
What samsung oven model do you have ? What brand are your inverters ? What yanmar model & altternator brand/model ? thanks !
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2018, 03:27   #21

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsWife1 View Post
One thing not on your kitchen wishlist is an instant pot. This is without a doubt my favorite kitchen appliance. Low power draw and can bake, sautee, roast, etc.

Agree. We've been using our IP more and more. We just got the newer 3.5-qt model not too long ago because it fits our storage better, and we're (usually) only cooking for two anyway.

-Chris

Tags
galley, oven