Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-02-2014, 18:32   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bill Tripp Custom 60
Galley / Ice box / Nav station rebuild

Anyone have any interest in following along on a compete galley rebuild along with constructing icebox and also nav station on a 60' Custom Ketch?

I have already started the project and have the base cabinets framed up. A few photos below. Let me know the interest and I can "will" keep the Thread updated, outside interest will keep me motivated I think, I work alone mostly.

Thanks
Ryan

rrayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 18:58   #2

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat
Re: Galley / Ice box / Nav station rebuild

Beautiful work! What are you using for the joints? Biscuits or just screw and glue?
Old 21-02-2014, 19:07   #3

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Oh...I see a pocket hole joint. How do those hold-up to the twisting and moving forces on a boat?
Old 21-02-2014, 19:11   #4
Marine Service Provider

Yes, I'm using pocket holes with a kreg jig, it works wonders.
Old 21-02-2014, 19:33   #5

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

RR, of course we are interested, keep on posting.
You are doing a great job, what material will you be using for the counter top?
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 19:35   #6
Marine Service Provider

I consulted a marine cabinet maker locally and he said pocket holes are the way to go, stainless screws and there won't be any issues. He's been using them for years on boats. After you put together a joint with glue and screw it will not break there... No twist as long as you use 2 screws. The base cabinet framing is solid as a rock. I ran out of mahogany yesterday, so while I am getting more stock milled I am moving on to the icebox. I picked up that material today.
Old 21-02-2014, 19:41   #7
Marine Service Provider

I will be using granite or quartz for the counter tops. I have had granite on my other boat for 2 years without any issues... A bead of 4200 a fiddle and it's done. Weight for me is not an issue, the boat loaded is 74000 lbs.
Old 22-02-2014, 01:49   #8

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Nice work, keep it coming..
BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 09:14   #9

This is perfect. I am in the planning stages of a complete interior cabin rebuild on a Schucker 436. I would love to see some more pictures of the inside of the cabinets. The nuts and bolts of how it's put together. Close up shots of the joints. I love the rounded corners . How are you milling the inside and outside corner pieces? They look like they are solid mahogany. What type of plywood are you using .
What type of plywood will you use for the sole? Is there a reason you are holding off on the floor.?
Thanks so much for taking the time to show your work!
brantleychuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2014, 10:34   #10
Marine Service Provider

Brantley, I'll post some photos before this point here. The floor stringers are about 4' above the bottom on the boat, there are tanks below for water and fuel. Round corners were actually easy, after pondering how to do it. I scribed a spray paint can for the inside corner, cut away most material one Rio at the time with the table saw and then took 60 grit sticky paper and wrapped the can and sanded the inside curve perfectly smooth, then finished up with 220 grit. Outside corner was the same except easier and less sanding. Made the mark with can bottom. Took my table saw to 45', took off the corner to make a nice straight cut, the took a regular powered hand planer and rand the length until hitting the line. I had the boards screwed from the bottom on my work bench. Then sanded the flat surfaced round... Easy stuff after I figured it out. Plywood is 3/4" mahogany, icebox will be marine plywood. The cabin sole is last. The particle board is just to get around on. At this point I would rally bang up the teak and holly.
Old 22-02-2014, 22:50   #11

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Subscribed. Keep posting photos! You'll enjoy looking back at them when you finish. I love that galley design.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 17:56   #12
Marine Service Provider

Ok, I am going to sum up the start fo the project to the galley rebuild above, that way there is some sort of chronological order to the thread..

Boat at dock before starting... Its dirty, I am starting from the rebuild from the inside out. All major systems will be replaced, except Engine witch is a new 175hp Yanmar and a Kabota Beta Genset...

Boat at dock

Boat

Boat interior

Trying to get things out... It had been sitting for 15 years

From Afar...

Nav Station... (mostly gone now except Chart Drawers)

Trying to get the old icebox out of the boat, It was a beast and terribly uninsulated, This looks like the2nd or 3rd attempt to rebuild it. I have move it to the other side of the galley, the sink will go here in the new galley.

Muscle...

Still tearing out...

Centerboard Motor and gearbox behind Companionway Steps. Old 240volt Water Source heatpump / AC that was the size of a bus, It was the first thing removed. It was a good unit but very inconvenient location... Ill replace with 3 or 4 Marineair Unit in the future.

Centerboard Gearbox again...

Salon Floor Water tanks, There are two in the salon and 2 in the galley/ nav, 450 Gallons of storage. The tanks are stainless and original to 1969. They were in mostly good condition, some pitting so I had a few placed repaired and welded some patches, then coated the tanks with 5 coats of West Systems with 422 barrier coat additive. They will definitely not leak from the outside in... That process took a week and was messy..

More tanks, and floor stringers, All of this has already been reframed and rebuilt. Working on Battery box that goes on Starboard side of centerboard trunk. Large enough to hold 12 Trojan 6 volts..

Tanks out hull exposed. All of this was cleaned scuffed and painted bright white with interlux bilge coat.. There are a total fo 14 1" keel bolts to hold the 18 foot long 30,000 lb lead ballast to the boat...

More bilge, This is the forward bilge. The wall you see where the centerboard trunk runs into is actually intergral fiberglass fuel tanks.. there are 3 of those at about 150 gallons each. Then a 80 Gallon day tank that goes on the port side of the trunk. The fuel system pumps from the 3 storage tanks to the day tank for operation. It can also transfer fuel to any tank from any tank.. while polishing it.... anyway.. continuing on

little out of order. Galley before tanks removed and some stuff still in place.

New subfloor framed and installed, particle board as a temporary floor before I broke a leg tripping on stuff and trying to balance everywhere..

Looking towards starboard and nav area

OK, so this is were we continue from the first picture post... Icebox rebuild on aft side of galley this time. Framed in for the next few photos. This is all Marine Grade 3/4" Fir Plywood for the outer box construction.

Old 23-02-2014, 17:57   #13
Marine Service Provider

last post only allowed 20 photos... so here is the rest of that post...

trying to mock up lid location... Have to take to many things into account when building lids... simple squares on the top of the box, they are a pain...

This is from the cockpit hatch accessing the sail storage room where I stole a foot of space for the new box layout

Looking into back of Icebox from Sail room..

same view different angle.. My phone camera sucks, can't ever seem to back up far enough.

OK, That sums up to the point where I am at now.. More to come. This single post with all the photos I hope is ok...
Old 23-02-2014, 20:18   #14

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Wow, quite a project...

What a big, beautiful boat. Love her lines.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2014, 20:49   #15
Marine Service Provider

She does have nice lines, inside and out. Lucky for me all the rigging has been replaced and the mast was rebuilt 12 years ago. It's all glass and aluminium. It's a big boat and insanely heavy. When I brought her over to my dock I was coming in like I do on my 37 footer and when I put it in reverse it was like nothing was happening... If your going 6-7 knots, you need a football field to stop. It's a full keel, so reverse is partial at best, like on most full keel boats

Tags
galley, rebuild