Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2018, 09:19   #1

Boat: Knysna 440
Galley Refit Question

We are getting ready to move on to our galley refit project. I am trying to choose a faucet and not finding one that I like from a marine source. Have you used a good quality "household" faucet? It would be used with our fresh water system only.
BillsWife1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:30   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Galley Refit Question

Many production boats are originally fitted with "household" faucets. Kohler, Moen, American Standard, Delta, etc. Nothing "marine" required.

-Chris
Old 05-10-2018, 10:55   #3

Household faucets are almost always better than "marine" ones , if you choose a good one. Brass would be nice and I find a single lever far better on a boat. If your sinks are small (as most are) consider a faucet that loops high also so you can turn pans under for rinsing . I far prefer one big sink to two tiny doubles. I never fill one sink to rinse anyway and many things like pans wont fit in a typical marine double. There are some very nice Scandinavian SS sinks out there.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 11:03   #4

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

People must be having bad luck down here. It seems that many of the household faucets are not lasting here in the Caribbean. They seem to get about 2 - 2.5 years before problems start.

Although they still look alright outside, they seem to corrode on the inside. The first issue, is they become very hard to move side to side. Then eventually, they freeze in place and just won't budge. I have been able to free a couple up by soaking in vinegar for a day or so, but they eventually freeze again after about a year.

However, I have no idea if a "marine" faucet would be any better. I just accept that 3-4 years is all I will get out of a faucet down here.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 18:34   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

BillsWife,

This may not fit for you, so ignore it, if it doesn't. Personally, I prefer foot pumps for galley use. Whether you're using salt water or fresh, it is just easier to control usage, plus your hands are free. Water's heavy to carry around a lot of it, so using it frugally gets important. Ymmv.

Ann

Tags
galley, refit