Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2023, 13:40   #1

Boat: Passport 41
Gap along the center of keel's base

Today I got myself a scuba kit to clean the bottom of my Passport 41 and while doing the base of the keel I noticed a 10cm long by 2mm wide by 3mm deep gap right on the center of the keel base. I ran my finger along it and it felt like the gap runs along the whole base of the keel, but apart from that 10cm bit, on the rest I can kind of feel it but it's barely visible. It didn't seem like the kind of damage caused by impact.

I've bought this boat just over a year ago and she was out of the water for the survey, but I don't remember seeing this at that time, and neither did the surveyor (who didn't pay much attention to the hull, much less so to the bottom of the keel, which was not highly visible anyway, being probably less than 20cm from the ground).

I'm wondering if this is normal (is the keel laid out in two halves or something like that?) or is it something I need to be worried about?

Sent from my SM-A225F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
LifesBetterWhenYoureBeating is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel