Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2021, 04:43   #16

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Re: Gear selector on Edson pedestal

I have the same pedestal (1994) I presume, though reverse is up and forward is down. Also with the Yanmar & Kanzaki.

Gear indication / selection is positive and I'd call it "perfect." Just the right resistance to shifting, and when it's in any position it's obvious. There is no slop/ play in any position.

It sounds like your cables are buggered.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 05:08   #17

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

The Up/Down, Fwd/Rev is function of shift cable arrangement. On my Hunter the cable approached the transmission from the aft, on the IP the cable loops around and connects from the front. Shift effort the same both ways as far as I could tell.

First I would disconnect the cable and just shift with the transmission lever. If that is normal then look at the travel/ attachment hole geometry. If you have some reasonable access underneath the pedestal then changing out the cables need not be too onerous. The connecting ends are accessed by removing the compass (simple clevis and cotter pin) and the jacket anchor(both cables) by removing the small locknut on the aft side of the pedestal about halfway down. Slip the entire assy out, measure for replacement cables, replace and set the end fittings and slip the cables back into position. Might include a couple of pull strings on the way out to aid in getting the new cables into position. I did both the Hunter and the IP.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2022, 07:10   #18

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Sinnerman,

Sorry for my slow leaning style. I think you are the information winner on my issue. My old transmission had no Detents but had a much longer play so the amount of space in neutral was larger. The amount of space on this shift is much smaller, but if it had Detents it wouldn't matter as much. However I am realizing that there is a Detent for forward, but not for neutral or reverse. So I'm guessing that there is an issue with them. I have a guy coming to evaluate the issue as I'm not technical enough.

Thanks for all the comments and help. The cable seems fine and there is not a different attachment point where the cable attaches to the tranni. So though those are good thought I suspect they aren't applicable here.

Dave
Geek_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2022, 19:21   #19

Boat: Sabre 402

As others have said, it is quite simple to remember "back up" and set up the shift to work that way. Whollybee is right to say that changing out the cables is a major chore, but it could likely fix your problem.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edson, gear, pedestal