Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2021, 09:01   #1

Boat: Hunter Passage 42
Gear selector on Edson pedestal

My great new boat has the gear shifter on the rear of the pedestal. Moving it up selects forward and down selects reverse. I absolutely detest it.

But even more to hate is the lack of definition to find neutral. There is literally maybe 1/2 to 1 inch of neutral space between forward and reverse. I end up in forward or reverse 3-5 times trying to find neutral. I now notice that there is 4 inches of play past forward.

Is this because of the design of the pedestal, the cable ,or the transmission?

I found that Edson sells the other set up that has the shifter on the side with forward = forward, and back = back. I'm really thinking of replacing it.

Ideas or help would be much appreciated.

Dave
Geek_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2021, 09:31   #2

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB
Re: Gear selector on Edson pedestal

Using the same setup for 30 years on two different sail boats. I kind of like the arrangement (my old Hunter was the reverse of my IP and it took a little time to develop the new muscle memory). Might take a look at the shift linkage on the transmission. If it is too sensitive a longer lever arm might help. Don't remember an adjustment on the Edison end.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2021, 10:06   #3

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

There are two holes on the Edson shift linkage (got a spare sitting on my back porch thanks to Hurricane Michael). Might pull the compass and check which hole the cable end is connected to. Moving closer to the rotation point reduces the travel to the transmission requiring more movement of the shift lever.
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2021, 10:23   #4

Boat: Morgan 382

The lack of being able to feel the detent for neutral could either be your transmission, or the cables being too tight (rusted) so the detent isn't apparent.

The reason for 2 types of shifters, one on the side and one on the rear, is to accommodate transmissions where the shifter on the side would have pushing forward engages reverse. If the gear shift would be backwards, then you can switch to the up down type so it mattered less. "Normally" this would result in up for reverse, so you could probably switch to the other type if you prefer it. But you should be aware of that, and double check your linkage to be sure you don't regret the change with backwards shifting. I *think* you would be ok.

New control cables are pretty inexpensive, but quite a chore to change. It requires removing the chain and cable, and the steering shaft/bearings, brake assembly, etc. So if you are going there, consider getting a complete rebuild kit, new brake linings, and chain and cable set.
Old 16-08-2021, 08:27   #5

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
New control cables are pretty inexpensive, but quite a chore to change. It requires removing the chain and cable, and the steering shaft/bearings, brake assembly, etc. So if you are going there, consider getting a complete rebuild kit, new brake linings, and chain and cable set.
I have an Edison pedestal on my ct. 2 side shifters. Removing them to replace the cables to engine/transimission really wasn't a big deal once I figured out how to remove the side shifters to gain access to everything. No need to remove chains, sprockets etc..

On my shifters (defunct Swedish co.) there is a screw adjustment for friction. You might look at yours and try that. It is possible that your control body has been bent (mine was, severely) and it is no longer in the correct position. Mine was 1/4" bronze and easy to flatten out again. Works perfectly now.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 08:38   #6

Boat: Catalina 30

I assume the Hunter has a Yanmar with a Kanzaki transmission.

Per memory, there are physical "detents" (ball bearing on a plunger) on the transmission for forward & reverse where the transmission "clicks" into position...

When in these fwd / rev positions, the shift transmission lever should be resting in these detent positions. These are check points for proper cable/shifter adjustment. Check the owners manual...

You do not want to run the transmission with the shift lever slightly out of the detent position as it can wear the friction cone in the transmission due slippage.

As another member mentioned, if you need to change out the control cables (do both - throttle and shift at the same time..) it is best to spring the extra $$ and time to replace the steering chains/cables and bearings etc. in the pedestal as you will have it apart anyway..

Link to Edson Engine controls instructions: https://edsonmarine.com/content/EB39...ntrolInstr.pdf
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 08:46   #7
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek_Guy View Post
My great new boat has the gear shifter on the rear of the pedestal. Moving it up selects forward and down selects reverse. I absolutely detest it.

But even more to hate is the lack of definition to find neutral. There is literally maybe 1/2 to 1 inch of neutral space between forward and reverse. I end up in forward or reverse 3-5 times trying to find neutral. I now notice that there is 4 inches of play past forward.

Is this because of the design of the pedestal, the cable ,or the transmission?

I found that Edson sells the other set up that has the shifter on the side with forward = forward, and back = back. I'm really thinking of replacing it.

Ideas or help would be much appreciated. Dave
I have an new Edson pedestal I install a few years ago but don't have any problem finding Neutral.

I understand that there is no visible designation of Neutral but there is a tactile one and you should be able to feel the area of Neutral as you transition from Forward to Reverse and vice versa under normal circumstances.

Perhaps it is a function you will just get accustomed with over time as you meld your tactile handling to this new-to-you boat.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 08:58   #8

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek_Guy View Post
Moving it up selects forward and down selects reverse. I absolutely detest it.
[...]
Dave

On my previous boat, a C&C 33 with a Yanmar 2GM20F, the shift arm on the transmission itself was "reversed" - removed from its shaft and installed 180 degrees opposite the Yanmar factory setting - in order to have forward/reverse make sense with the control on the pedestal ("forward" lever position = forward gear, etc).

Funny story, when I had the transmission rebuilt to replace the cone clutch, the shop reassembled the transmission with the arm in the "usual" position, which inverted the shifter action upon reinstallation. Had to live with that for a 3-week vacation until I could pull the transmission and have them correct it.

tl/dr: check if you can reverse the linkage at the transmission end, if the pedestal doesn't have that option.
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 10:41   #9

Boat: Columbia 9.6 meter

Using same style Edson shifter you say you “detest” for last 17 years, and much prefer it to the other type. The shifter is more robust build, and has leverage for the job.
Since I often face astern when backing into fairway and slip, it’s ideal to not confuse F/R gear selector from throttle lever.
Correct position is FWD = down; REV = up.
Also, if lines foul the steering station, not likely to trip the shifter.
Easy to feel nearly full lever travel to click over the Kanzaki wet clutch, in either direction.
The throw distance is affected by the cable pin location on the transmission lever, and angle is set on the transmission lever. The range of angle setting is fully adjustable since the split clevis can be positioned as desired at any radial point.
The shift detent is built into the wet clutch, and is very firm. Try it with the cable disconnected, if any doubt.
Best of Luck
Ninedotsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 11:33   #10

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

What Ninedotsix said is correct. Don't go into the pedestal, you can reverse the lever action or finetune the shift points right at the transmission.
Old 16-08-2021, 11:38   #11

Boat: Sabre 34

Just give it some time and you will be able to do it by feel. Mine is down=forward and up=reverse, initially I had to look and make fine adjustments to bring it to neutral, now it’s super easy, and I like the separate gear-throttle levers.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 13:24   #12

Boat: Nordic 44

Edson used to have a sticker to show which way to shift. Give them a call. They are very good on customer service and if they still have them they will probably throw it in the mail for free.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 17:04   #13

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

I see that several responders have stated that Up= Reverse. You state the opposite is true in your installation. Is everything rigged correctly? I can imagine that a reversal could easily cause shifting issues.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 19:17   #14

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I replaced my up down shifter with the Edson side levers. Much better!
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2021, 03:53   #15

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderhoof View Post
I see that several responders have stated that Up= Reverse. You state the opposite is true in your installation. Is everything rigged correctly? I can imagine that a reversal could easily cause shifting issues.
The way the OPs transmission is setup, if he switched to side type forward/back controls, they would work normally.

The primary reason for the Up/Down type is for transmissions that would have the control reversed if you had the control mounted on the side. In that case, where controls were reversed with a forward/back control, if you switch to an up down, then up will be reverse.

Tags
edson, gear, pedestal