Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2010, 20:17   #16

Boat: HitchHiker 42ft Sailing Cat
Just got a neat reply back regarding repairs to leaking Gebo hatches. Mine only leak from the handles and if on "rain"setting any wind behind the rain and in it comes anyway but here's what came back to me:

If the handles leak, the tension is wrong or the o-ring under the cap is damaged or unlubricated.

The blue lock slider is removable by plunging a paper-clip end or similar into the tiny hole in the black part adjacent to release it. This exposes the screw. remove this and the handle will all come apart. Take careful note of the fit of all the parts - don't mix up the left & right sides. Clean all the parts - soap or detergent & warm water, rinse off & dry.

Check the o-ring under the cap. Replace if it is damaged. Lube with a light wipe of dry aerosol spray silicone, silicone grease or teflon. Clean the surface it sits on and then re assemble - tightening the screw only as much as you need to. If any parts are damaged, Terry Bailey will be able to help.

This should solve the problem.

ciao

Kaz
top_deck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 07:45   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by top_deck2 View Post
Just got a neat reply back regarding repairs to leaking Gebo hatches.
That is a nice reply. I'm curious who you contacted. It doesn't look anything like the communication I've had with Europe.
JayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2010, 14:46   #18

Hi JayH, I got on the web and googled a mob in NZ, they no longer are agents though. I am based in Australia.
ciao
Kaz
Old 15-01-2010, 15:10   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I'm probably getting into murky forum rule territory but... I'm surprised that Atkins & Hoyle wasn't mentioned
Given you are part of the company I suppose I can mention them - they make a good hatch and can rebuild any you might need rebuilt.

Personally, I have a long position in them but in the end I think if you look for the materials used it sorts out easily. Good AlMag frames and cast acrylic port lights is really what you want even if the price is a little steep. Mine were installed in 1991 and are still great. A few needed re bedding but it was not a hatch issue but more of a dog house surrounding the ports issue. Dissimilar materials part ways eventually. A leak requires the smallest of breaks to drip on your head while sleeping.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 01:28   #20

Thanks for your comments prbably not mentioned due to the fact am based in australia.
Old 11-04-2010, 16:48   #21

Boat: Rag 'n' Stik Jeanneau SO34.2
Looking at the Gebo portlights, has anyone replaced the rubber seal and is there a trick to doing this? I'm finding it difficult to source info on this as it is the first step to fix a leak.

Cheers

Chris
ctva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2015, 02:48   #22
JYS

RHIGO hatches any good?

ANYONE KNOW RHIGO? I'm a newbie to this forum, and to the subject of trying to find a good reliable deck hatch that does not leak. Unfortunately for our application we need a rectangular hatch around the 550 x 680mm (cut out) size. I can get a custom one made but would obviously like to go for a standard off the shelf which can be replaced if necessary.
Rhigo do make a hatch to do our job however I cannot find ONE unbiased comment on the net re the performance of these hatches. Does anyone on CF have any experience with this brand?
As time is short I have to make a decision so PLEASE let me know, if you know!
Thanks
JYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 11:41   #23

Re: GEBO Problems with Hatches and Portholes

JYS

you could find my (5 year old )comment - above in this thread - useful ?
vacendak is offline   Reply With Quote