Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2017, 20:13   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Gelcoat/fiberglass-safe adhesive remover?

Acetone could be a mistake. There's no need for it, to remove the adhesive. Plain naphtha or an "adhesive remover" will take it off, without any risk to the gelcoat or other finishes. I'm not sure that acetone would be equally safe, you might want to check that.

Using a good 600-grit wet sandpaper (the cheaper brands often have irregular grit grades in them) probably will "polish" the transom, but it might be left rougher and more porous than you'd want, leaving you to do the final work with 800-1200-2000 paper/polish to get the finish back to a nice surface that won't hold dirt.

Best to make Real Damn Sure before getting into that stuff, it is always easier to wait a few days, than to refinish things.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 22:00   #17

Boat: Catalina 30 MKII

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Acetone could be a mistake. There's no need for it, to remove the adhesive. Plain naphtha or an "adhesive remover" will take it off, without any risk to the gelcoat or other finishes. I'm not sure that acetone would be equally safe, you might want to check that.

Using a good 600-grit wet sandpaper (the cheaper brands often have irregular grit grades in them) probably will "polish" the transom, but it might be left rougher and more porous than you'd want, leaving you to do the final work with 800-1200-2000 paper/polish to get the finish back to a nice surface that won't hold dirt.

Best to make Real Damn Sure before getting into that stuff, it is always easier to wait a few days, than to refinish things.
Can certainly try something "milder" than acetone - that's why I asked in my OP.

If I can lay my hands on some finer abrasive, I'll try for the least aggressive one as well. I have no deadline, so I can take my time.
ValiantV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 09:23   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

3M (I'm a fan, I admit it) and obviously others, makes a "polishing compound" that's a tan color, equal to about 1200 grit, sold in pint or quart bottles in the auto chain stores. With a polishing wheel that puts a mirror finish on acrylics and gel coat. That should be easy to obtain, and if it isn't aggressive enough, you can always get out the sandpaper. Or just coarser brown "compound".

If there's a car body shop in town, someone knows where there's a local body shop supplier. They'll have the good stuff.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2017, 10:58   #19

Boat: Catalina 30 MKII

Hey Hello sailor,

I think I have some of the 3M polishing compound and it does a nice job.

What I'm trying to accomplish will require (I believe) that I "level" the surface somewhat, or I'll have the old name in relief. That's why I was thinking sanding block.
ValiantV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adhesive, fiberglass, gelcoat