Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2022, 16:25   #16

Boat: Catalina 320
Re: General questions about sailboat maintenance/DIY repair?

Dzień dobry. Keep this web site, https://www.catalinadirect.com/, in mind. Good resource for parts and know-how.
Sailnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 17:56   #17

Boat: Catalina 30

Before you buy it check the condition of the upper shroud chainplates, the keel bolts.

Then haul the boat out and look at the condition of the hull/keel/prop shaft strut/rudder.

Look for signs the boat partially sank or was full of water at one time (watermark lines on the bulkheads).

The mast's rigging and sails are expensive to replace.
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 18:59   #18

Boat: Catalina 30

Do you plan to SAIL it while living aboard or just live aboard and maybe motor out once in a blue moon? A person at our marina who lives aboard never goes out in his own boat. Once said it takes him two weeks to clean up the boat and dock enough to be able to leave his slip. Good thing there is the 'Poo-Toon'. (Honey Wagon)
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 20:36   #19

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by witty_smokes345 View Post
Hello,

I have been sailing for two years while I was living in Poland. I just moved back to the USA and I am about to buy a 27ft Catalina. I never dealt with a sailboat bigger than 22ft. My uncle taught me how to sail EXCEPT how to maintain/repair a sailboat. Rents are high where I'm at and my plan is to liveaboard in the Catalina. If anything was needed to be repaired I would want to DIY it. My questions are

- best books/manuals on sailboat maintenance/repair? (I bought don caseys book)

- Most critical components to check daily/weekly especially on a old sailboat?

- how to repair or what should I check on a atomic 4 gas engine to make sure everything working properly

- how to fix or what should I check on my batteries in order for the electrical system to work?

- best website for buying sails/batteries/general parts?

- best toolsets for maintaining/repairing a sailboat?

Sorry english not my first language. Sorry for the questions Im just kind of overwhelmed and want to learn quickly before purchase. Thank you.
The A 4 is a widely used engine and there's a lot of support for them.
The Carburators are unique as they are side draft or "updraft" and are usually a Cast iron body, by Zenith, as you can imagine water will severely impact the ability of this Carburator to function.
It's also located very low in the engine configuration, as so can be difficult to address.
They also usually have points, this can cause misfiring, and requires some idea how to diagnosis.
A choke is also involved and is usually used upon start, as this arrangement has no accelerator pump to prime it.
It's an Updraft!
A4 is gasoline, and does require a good bilge blower.
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 21:00   #20

Where are you located? If you are local to me I'll be glad to meet and go over many items that would be important, do a walk through, explain things, show to do/maintain/fix etc.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 21:13   #21

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome.

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.

Regarding the boat, unless you have already found a boat and are set on it I would get an outboard powered version, the boat was designed specifically for an outboard. If you are set on an inboard A4 then checkout the forum section of Moyer Marine which provides support and upgrades for the A4.

Battery source should be local, the shipping costs from elsewhere will eat up and price advantage you find online. In southern California Deep cycle San Diego is where I got both of my batteries at very good prices. https://deepcyclebatterystore.com/ If you were in SoCal it would be worth the day trip to go there for the batteries.

Quote:
Hello,

I have been sailing for two years while I was living in Poland. I just moved back to the USA and I am about to buy a 27ft Catalina. I never dealt with a sailboat bigger than 22ft. My uncle taught me how to sail EXCEPT how to maintain/repair a sailboat. Rents are high where I'm at and my plan is to liveaboard in the Catalina. If anything was needed to be repaired I would want to DIY it. My questions are

- how to repair or what should I check on a atomic 4 gas engine to make sure everything working properly

- how to fix or what should I check on my batteries in order for the electrical system to work?

Sorry english not my first language. Sorry for the questions Im just kind of overwhelmed and want to learn quickly before purchase. Thank you.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 23:14   #22

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
The A 4 is a widely used engine and there's a lot of support for them.
The Carburators are unique as they are side draft or "updraft" and are usually a Cast iron body, by Zenith, as you can imagine water will severely impact the ability of this Carburator to function.
It's also located very low in the engine configuration, as so can be difficult to address.
They also usually have points, this can cause misfiring, and requires some idea how to diagnosis.
A choke is also involved and is usually used upon start, as this arrangement has no accelerator pump to prime it.
It's an Updraft!
A4 is gasoline, and does require a good bilge blower.
My friend put a fancy electronic ignition on his. No more points. The igniter fired the plugs several times each combustion cycle. It would start to become unreliable when the electrode on the spark plug had burned away so far it was in the insulator. Spark plug gap wasn't very important with this setup.
Moyer marine has one available, don't know if it is as fancy as the one my friend used.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 00:19   #23

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

This is the Bible...
https://www.amazon.com/Boatowners-Me.../dp/0071790330
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 03:07   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
The A 4 is a widely used engine and there's a lot of support for them...
Moyer Marine are the leading provider of parts and services for the Universal® Atomic 4 Engine, and Don Moyer is the “Atomic 4 guru”.
Home ➥ https://moyermarine.com/

Check out their SUPPORT Section, which includes
Tech Tips ➥ https://moyermarine.com/techtips/
Instructions ➥ https://moyermarine.com/instructions/
A4 Forum [Afourians] ➥ https://www.moyermarineforum.com/forums/index.php
Is the atomic 4 reliable? ➥ https://www.moyermarineforum.com/for...ad.php?t=12017
and much more ...

Manuals for Atomic 4 Engine:

Service & Repair Manual
https://www.fdlaudubon.org/page19/as...epairMaint.pdf

Parts List
https://www.westerbeke.com/parts%20m...rts%20list.pdf

Owners Manual ➥ https://l-36.com/read_html.php?file=..._Owners_Manual

See also:

The Atomic 4 Engine: Smooth, worth another look
https://goodoldboat.com/atomic-4/

BOMB SQUAD: Atomic-4 Gasoline Engine
https://wavetrain.net/2011/01/30/bom...soline-engine/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2022, 09:19   #25

Boat: '14 Greenline 33 Hybrid m/v

If you get the Atomic-4 boat, I would urge you to replace all fuel-related lines, including the tank filler hose and vent, if they are original items or in the least way questionable. A dear friend of mine, back in the 70's, was in a 4-partnership 30' sailboat w/ A-4 engine, kept on the GA coast. Planned to take his new bride for a honeymoon cruise aboard, and proceeded to fill the 20 gal gas tank @ dockside fuel pump, and noticed the gauge reading over 30 gal. HMOG! All into the bilge per rotted fill hose. The Dockmaster had boat immediately towed and anchored in the channel where costly professional pump-out was accomplished, and a cheap motel found - probably a better choice anyhoo! Took months for the overpowering gas smell to dissapate.

I learned much of my early mechanical experience in the 50's on my Dad's 23' wooden Arthur True "Rocket" sailboat w/ Atomic-4 he kept on Geogia's Fernandina River. Needed distributer points filed with a fine emery-board and re-gapped to start every time we went down, and periodic spark plug re-gapping...
PineyWoodsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 08:29   #26

Boat: Amel 41
Send a message via Yahoo to lo2jones

Quote:
Hello,

Thank you.
Everything I didn’t know how to do before, I learned from an video collected from the internet.

Minney’s in Coasta Mesa California is a great source for sails and parts. They measure all of the sails in their inventory and ship internationally. I would like to find the equivalent in Europe, if anyone knows one.
lo2jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 08:57   #27

Quote:
Hello,

- best books/manuals on sailboat maintenance/repair? (I bought don caseys book) Boatowner's Mechanical and Elelctrical Manual- Nigel Calder.

Check your engine for leaks, especially gas odor or leaks. Check the shaft/stuffing box that it is not leaking too much. A slow drip is OK. Make sure you have spare fuel filters.
- how to repair or what should I check on a atomic 4 gas engine to make sure everything working properly Temperature. Is there a fresh water cooling system or raw water? There may be replaceable zincs on the engine or heat exchanger. Check there are no bubbles in the oil. There shouldbe a seawater strainer, make sure it is not clogged. When you start the engine look for water coming out the exhaust immediately.

- how to fix or what should I check on my batteries in order for the electrical system to work? Basic: Check voltage. Full charged should be about 12.5 volts. Don't let it get too low before charging.

- best toolsets for maintaining/repairing a sailboat? Sockets and wrenches. Wire end fittings and a tool to install them. Stuffing box adjustment wrench.

See BOLD

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 09:29   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

I think understanding your fuel system and cooling system for your engine is most important. Do you have spare impellers or spare belts, do you know how to install them? Check over the hoses carefully.

Know how the shaft seal works and how to stop it from leaking on the way.

This thread talks about your engine and cooling.

https://www.moyermarineforum.com/for...ead.php?t=4782

Don't be afraid to invite people aboard and ask them for tips. Ignore people who tell you bought the wrong boat or their boat is better etc.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 09:30   #29

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Welcome back OP. I understand Catalina Service is the high bar others reach for.

Ever persons situation is different ppl who winter on boats in Lake Ontario are a rare hardy bunch. The spots available are reduced every season and most clubs don’t want them. That’s our current trend at least.
One of the reasons is they seem to always be under construction.

As far as working on boats diy. Some of the situations are sad and costly. Some guy hammering on a part for hours along comes a marine mechanic with the tool designed to fit that rudder shaft and it’s done.
When I see my Dentist pretending to be a diesel mechanic I love it but it’s a revenge thing. Basic maintenance sure they are like cars. Edsel in the roots.
If you can make more money in your scope than you save by being a backyard mechanic then delegate.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 09:53   #30
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Hello,

I stopped reading after "...atomic 4 gas". Don't buy or get involved with it. Very old and dangerous.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, DIY, maintenance, repair, sail, sailboat