Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2020, 20:03   #16

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Getting Desperate- Modify the Shape of Store Bought Refrigerator?

Given you have such great solar generation capacity, is it maybe worth just saying “ f—k it” and buying a couple of those portable chest style fridges? They are not all that efficient but your system could power them.
Old 29-09-2020, 20:45   #17

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Getting Desperate- Modify the Shape of Store Bought Refrigerator?

On the original question, how tight is the "18-20" depth? Can you fit 22" deep? If you can, I'd look very strongly at the Liebherr built-in products. Something like the SBS 70I4. That's 22" deep by 45" wide. Gives you about 7.5 ft3 freeze and 10 ft3 fridge. For ~75 Ah/day at 12V (902Wh/day). It even looks like the back bottom of the unit is notched about 4 cm to allow air flow, if you could get airflow otherwise you might be able to consider it 51cm depth, which is pretty close to 20". Unfortunately the dimensional drawings don't show that level of detail. And yes, it will be 240V/50Hz, but you can get a small, dedicated inverter to run it. That's what we do with our Euro units.

I hate to wade into these discussions, I feel like , but the right household refrigeration equipment can be more efficient, and less expensive, than "marine" units. Even after you factor in inverter inefficiencies to run them. Been posted on numerous threads here. You really have to look for the European A+++ rated units that are "T" (tropical) rated. That narrows your choices significantly but they do exist and make far more sense than "marine" units from an efficiency/energy/usability perspective - if you can fit the rectangular form factor in specified sizes that are the only way you can buy them. Quite frankly I don't understand why anyone would put something other than a commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) fridge on a boat if they can fit one. Finding that magic space, as Chotu points out, can be frustrating.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 21:06   #18

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Since you're building everything from scratch anyway, just google 'counter depth refrigerators, make your selection from there, and design something to fit the one you like. There are hundreds...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 21:22   #19

Boat: Outremer 50S

Just in case you truly don't care about energy efficiency, the US Liebherr line of fully integrated units has a bunch of choices at a depth of 21 11/16". Energy ratings aren't nearly as good... Counter depth from just about everyone adds another 2-3" to that.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 22:03   #20

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Given you have such great solar generation capacity, is it maybe worth just saying “ f—k it” and buying a couple of those portable chest style fridges? They are not all that efficient but your system could power them.
That’s exactly what I’m trying to avoid.

There is nothing worse than a chest refrigerator. It’s the worst thing about traditional boat galley refrigerators.

Front opening only for me.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 22:04   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Since you're building everything from scratch anyway, just google 'counter depth refrigerators, make your selection from there, and design something to fit the one you like. There are hundreds...
The hull is already built and floating.

Can’t very well change the available space. Each hull is quite narrow.
Old 29-09-2020, 22:08   #22

The Liebherr brand does have a LOT of different dimensions compared to other brands. Seems like the best brand.

The prices are a bit on the insane side though.

This is a tough problem.
Old 29-09-2020, 22:18   #23
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Just a few months ago there was a whole long thread on the most efficient small home style refri. I think it was european and had five star energy rating, definitely an inverter style maybe you can order a couple small ones and have dedicated 12v-230v inverters if they run off of euro power. You gotta look back throgh these refri threads. Old style sunfrosts had the compressors on top but the cabinets kind of suck. Nothing is as good as some of these new inverter technology ones. But limited selection in the US. Can run off of very small dc-ac inverters. Not going to be able to cut the cabinet on any modern unit though. Are you thinking of going gallley up?
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 22:31   #24
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
The Liebherr brand does have a LOT of different dimensions compared to other brands. Seems like the best brand.

The prices are a bit on the insane side though.

This is a tough problem.
I think it was the Liebherr brand. But the Euro ones. Gonna have to spend some $$$ to make things nice but might end up cheaper buying an Isotherm 12v from the distributer there, We got scratch and dent ones, but not as efficient. Also drawer models are very nice. Why are you galley down?
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 22:52   #25

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlydon View Post
Not to burst your bubble, but home fridges are very inefficient in general, depending on constant availability of ac current to make up for it. Are you planning to run generator power 24/7/365? I’d hate that, personally.

Matt
Not to burst your bubble but we run 2 x 125 litre bar fridge
1 x 500 litre fridge freezer
And 1 x 100 freezer
All 240v household units
99% of the time our 2200w of solar does it all as well as the 240v hws
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 22:54   #26

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Does it HAVE to be below?
Usually see full size fridge freezer up against cockpit BH on bridge deck panel.
Easy install then.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2020, 23:22   #27

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Name:   R4503Back.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  11.4 KB

Not really what you're looking for, but for anyone else needing similar, Nova Kool makes a "chine hugger" model that is shallow at the bottom and deep higher up. I had this issue in our monohull and almost went this route, but decided to just build a fridge instead.

https://www.suremarineservice.com/Ga...5/R4503DC.html

Matt
Old 30-09-2020, 00:48   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
I think it was the Liebherr brand. But the Euro ones. Gonna have to spend some $$$ to make things nice but might end up cheaper buying an Isotherm 12v from the distributer there, We got scratch and dent ones, but not as efficient. Also drawer models are very nice. Why are you galley down?
Galley down: enormous, huge galley with incredible amount of counter space and storage. Something for people who are really into cooking and need a true kitchen type galley.
Old 30-09-2020, 00:52   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Does it HAVE to be below?
Usually see full size fridge freezer up against cockpit BH on bridge deck panel.
Easy install then.
Inside helm and galley are on the same side of the boat. Putting a full height unit on the bridge deck is problematic because you have to walk upstairs to use the refrigerator and the refrigerator would block aft visibility.

I wish I could do this and might even deal with the constant stair use to cook, but the diminished visibility is a deal breaker.
Old 30-09-2020, 00:56   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Attachment 224404

Not really what you're looking for, but for anyone else needing similar, Nova Kool makes a "chine hugger" model that is shallow at the bottom and deep higher up. I had this issue in our monohull and almost went this route, but decided to just build a fridge instead.

https://www.suremarineservice.com/Ga...5/R4503DC.html

Matt
This is the idea. It’s the shape I need but a big one.

I may be stuck just putting a unit against the aft watertight bulkhead where the current norcold n641 is. It should be able to fit an 11cuft refrigerator/freezer combo

Or... deal with the huge power draw of separate chest freezer and 6cuft dorm refrigerator somehow squeezed in with a step stool for the girlfriend to reach all the way into it.

Tags
refrigerator