Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 04:57   #61
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Getting Dirty - Haulout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
How to save $800 in 5 hours

Probably the worst job ever is sanding the anti fouling. On my 26 foot boat it is worth $400 to let someone else do it. I got quoted around $800 so we decided to do it ourselves.

Not a job I want to do more than once every couple of lifetimes...

I feel your pain . Worst job ever - I remember allowing 3 days to remove 30+ years of anti-fouling but actually taking 6 weeks :bang head:

After all your efforts during this mini refit, you won't want to take her sailing and get her all messy again .
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:27   #62

Wow! That looks all great...very inspiring. makes me want to get in there and start cleaning my engine and sanding and painting....almost.
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 17:53   #63

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

You haven't posted on this for a long time and I have been wondering how your refit is coming along.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 18:29   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
You haven't posted on this for a long time and I have been wondering how your refit is coming along.
I was waiting for someone to notice <sigh...>

After the bottom sanding I had about a week long health issue. The "next" task was paint the topsides and we had some rain and I could not be assured of 3 rain free days.

Then (as happens) time ran out and I had to go to the US for business in November for 2 weeks. November was really my drop dead date to refloat. Knowing that after November there was not going to be time. December had a little time but no time off to get it done, Kings Cup regatta for 9 days and two December weekends consumed.

The end of Decemebr was another last window of opportunity (about 6 days) but for those days we had again a lot of rain. In perfect hindsight I started too close to the transition to the NE monsoon and underestimated the amount of rain we would get. Now it is December, Christmas break and a business trip to Ohio. I am not back in Singers until early Feb. I have some personal stuff going on as well.

The boat yard suggested letting a professional take over - However the professionals are what I am trying to avoid. Not necessarily for cost but for quality control Besides I don't think they can paint in the rain either - LOL...

So put aside all the excuses and life just overcame hobby and rather than stress about it, I have resigned to taking it up again in Feb.

Thanks for asking and bumping the thread. I am looking forward to posting the next steps of progress.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 18:36   #65

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Good luck, I was enjoying your thread. Merry Xmas.
Old 20-12-2012, 19:23   #66

Boat: Hans Christian 48T

Merry Christmas and a happy 2013 Dan. I took the Tayana out in Punggol this month and had a look at your cruising grounds as I went past but didn't see anyone. Again, all the best.

M
Old 21-12-2012, 09:11   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks and Merry Christmas guys...

And C'pn Morgan - If you came buy during Kings Cup week we had 5 skipper's from Changi with us in Thailand on our boat and a second crew went with 2 Changi Skippers. So all in all 7 Changi boats were 'skipperless" for 2 weekends in December.

King's Cup was a hoot. We did very poorly but we think it is becuase the Sunsail Jenneau 41 with charter sails was basically uncompetitive. Excuses, excuses but what the heck. We had some good skippers on board.

Cheers!
Old 21-12-2012, 19:24   #68

Either way, glad you guys had fun. At home it just rained and rained. Managed a bit of dry sailing but not much.

See you next year!

M
Old 09-06-2014, 22:22   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

He's baaaaack... Hi to anyone who still remembers me - LOL...

It is incredible how easy it is to become "that guy that pulled his boat out and never put it back in the water"

You see from my whiney post above that the end of 2012 overcame me. Well 2013 wasn't any different. We had the craziest career year of my life - literally non-stop product issues for almost the entire year.

Coupled with that I went through a divorce from hell (is there any other type?) We separated in 2009 but went to serious battle in 2012 through end 2013), jurisdiction was fought for Singapore and after alomst a year I lost. Went California and tried to keep at least a couple pairs of underpants in the settlement. Decided while I was at it I'd fight for custody of my 16 y/o son. Remarkably, and thanks to an excellent court appointed custody counselor, I won.

End of 2013 I got remarried and in Feb transferred the whole brood to Singapore - a billion action items later (including a residence move to a bigger place) and I am finally back to work on the boat.

So - As I have said many times in the past, "Do you want to work on boats or sail them?" Apparently I have been doing neither.

I restarted about 3 weekends ago and have made some pretty great progress. Stay tuned for some new posts, photos, refit blow-by-blows) and lessons learned.

Cheers!
Old 09-06-2014, 22:31   #70

Hi Dan

Thanks for your post. It is good to see you are back. Sorry about all your troubles and am glad to learn that you got some good out of all of that. welcome back home. Let's see about having a cold one together whenever we can meet up.

M
Old 10-06-2014, 00:03   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

Welcome back...
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 00:25   #72

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

Hay Dan glad your back, re the "divorce from hell " id say you did win money can be replaced not your kids. Cant wait to see how your boats faired much mold?

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:58   #73

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Divorce is the only game more expensive than Yachting... btdt.

Glad that you are coming back up for air and getting your hands dirty again, Dan!

Cheers,

Jim
Old 10-06-2014, 09:07   #74

Wow... good to see you're back!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 11:05   #75

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Welcome back Dan. Great to see you. I hope you have smoother sailing in life from now on.