Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 28-06-2014, 15:56   #106

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Getting Dirty - Haulout

Maybe just an ached laminated beam across where the bulkhead was? I once looked at a Vancouver 27 on a rainy day where the builder didn't build an arched beam under the mast. Instead cut a curved piece of teak to fit between two posts. Not over the posts, just screwed into the posts on either side. First clues I had that something wasn't right were the pool of water surrounding the mast and the loose rigging.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 06:08   #107
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

New Findings ;-(

All in all it's good to get hands all over the boat so everything gets fixed but it's frustrating that the list continues to grow.

Photo 1 - Shows the uppers and lowers attached to the chain plates. Basically 2 u-bolts welded to a plate. In the first year of ownership a starboard bolt/weld failed - lower shroud thank god - and almost lost the whole rig! - We had the local guy (Mr. 70%) replace both sides with the next size up u-bolts and manufacture new brackets on the inside.

Photo 2 - Shows the carry through rods upper bracket and lower bracket (behind George) which is attached to a hard chine on the hull - This carries the rig loads the the hull and in theory there is no load on the deck joint. A common failure in maxis is corrosion failure of the lower bracket. Ours was also failed on starboard and we had this done at the same time. The port side was previously done.

Photo 3 - Shows the underside of the port chain plate. Note that the bracket takes one leg each of upper and lower u-bolt. This is how all maxis I've seen are and I don't know why the underside bracket doesn't cover all 4 legs of the u-bolts. Note under the bracket is a 1/2 round SS bar that distributes the load on the deck joint.

Photo 4 - Shows the starboard side - the side Mr. 70% did. Note the bracket is only picking up 2 legs of one u-bolt - Fail. Of more dire consequence is the corroded iron bar which is flaking away - Double fail. The only redeeming feature is I poked my fingernail into the bedding compound and it's soft (4200?) - It could have been 5200 ;-(

This will have to all get cleaned up before the headliner goes back in.

Mr. 70% is a guy almost every new boat owner uses around here - I really like the guy but he only gets stuff 70% done or 70% right.

I've been asked a lot why I don't turn my refit over to the boat yard - This is why - unless you supervise constantly you get this kind of workmanship.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-28 15.04.04.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	412.9 KB
ID:	84100   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-15 17.22.12 - Copy.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	406.7 KB
ID:	84101  

Name:	2014-06-29 12.50.22.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	413.4 KB
ID:	84102   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-29 12.50.48.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	412.5 KB
ID:	84103  

Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 06:49   #108
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Mocking Up...

I didn't get as far on the mocking up as I wanted - all my help bailed today and I was solo. But this is why I want to mock it all up first. What seems a good idea on paper can look horrible!

The idea was to run the galley to the shroud through rod, then the seat with 10 deg angle back and 17 inch seat depth (butt space) with a storage locker behind.

So the A/C is where it would be but it would drop down a bit.

The original idea was the head on the starboard side but today I got the idea to put the head on the port side and leave the starboard completely open. The seat is about where the head will be.

Obviously this looks like crap! Especially as the forward bulkhead will be a little higher - even with the rail going into the v-berth.

Also the bench seat is not suitable for two people.

So now the idea is to give up the port side completely. Photo 3 shows about where the a/c will go - the line under the unit as the bulkhead line for the head. The Ac will rotate so the cool vent points into the v-berth - the cabinet front will be vented so the coils - now facing inboard can get unrestricted circulation. The fridge will be near the (now extended) galley and the remaining space will be storage.

The exhaust from the A/C now faces aft - which can be a problem but the vent line is huge and I was going to build a square duct - The round duct pops right off so I am considering putting a vent above the A/C with a permanent adapter. There will be room to store the vent behind the a/c in the locker and I can just rig it in 30 seconds when I am in port.

Now the starboard side can have a long bench and a 3 person table. I also get back a full single berth on that side so can sleep 3 comfortably again. The "no-bulkhead" look will be now be on the starboard side...

Access to the berth will be up the port side of the compression post.

Hopefully you all can see that version next weekend.

edit - BTW Worst masking tape ever - I picked 6 rolls of this for like $2. Doesn't stick to anything but my feet - LOL.

I am also pleased with the locker sapce behind the seat backs - this will be for lifejackets spin sheets and such - all that storage will now be on starboard..
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-06-29 17.51.28.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	413.2 KB
ID:	84107   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-29 17.51.48.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	421.8 KB
ID:	84108  

Name:	2014-06-29 18.22.39.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	416.4 KB
ID:	84109  
Old 19-07-2014, 07:49   #109
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Finally got some mocking up done

Picture 1 & 2 The port side berth is going to be given up and cabinetry built all along. Aft going forward, the galley will be expanded, then the fridge will be inside the cabinet (top loading), the a/c will be next also within cabinet. The space is taken all the way to the head which will be relocated to the port side - We did the starboard side first and learned about using some battens to make a frame for the mock up.
Picture 3 - we've enclosed the frame with cardboard. We decided to angle the cabinet fronts by 10 degrees. This matches the pitch on the seat back on starboard (for symmetry) and give s a little more hip room when moving in the aisle. This is fwd looking aft
Picture 4 - Aft looking forward - Head is in the correct location - Cheap A/c is up front chuffing away - It made working in the boat a real treat - usually we get 30+C inside - today I don't think we got above like 22 - Sweeet!
Picture 5 - From outsize the companionway

It is great to mock this up and get an idea how it will look. We also learned about the slight corner bend in the 1st 3rd of the cabinet run.

The head will be dropped into the floor and a privacy curtain will separate it from the salon. I wanted to keep an "open" view with curtains back all the way to the v-berth.

The pictures don't do justice - It looks pretty good and I am optimistic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-07-19 14.51.28.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	405.8 KB
ID:	85223   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-19 14.51.10.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	85224  

Name:	2014-07-19 15.40.03.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	411.2 KB
ID:	85225   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-19 15.40.53.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	405.3 KB
ID:	85226  

Name:	2014-07-19 15.49.26.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	405.1 KB
ID:	85227  
Old 19-07-2014, 08:17   #110
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Starboard settee and cabinet

He are a couple of different shots of the starboard side.

The decks behind the settee will lift to reveal storage behind.
The berth is actually usable with crewman's head aft and feet along the settee
The settee is long enough to sit 3 in a pinch at the table - The table itself is still a conundrum - It's so damn inconvenient and it is always in the way - someday a bigger boat and no central table - Grrrr....

The space aft of the settee will be left open - people can sit there, of course, but the real reason is so the trolley can be rolled out

The port quarter berth (photo 1) is going to be where the electrical distribution is - the batteries are right on the other side. There will be a storage trolley - rails on the floor. The door opens and you roll the dolly out for access.

It is going to be an easy build, I think.

Tomorrow I am going to mock up the head cabinetry and work on some of the nav panel and galley cabinet areas.

The engine box is pretty straightforward so I should get that done tomorrow as well.

Hopefully next weekend I can start cuttin' wood!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-07-19 15.40.27.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	406.8 KB
ID:	85228   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-19 15.40.32.jpg
Views:	143
ID:	85229  

Name:	2014-07-19 12.56.45.jpg
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	85230   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-19 15.49.31.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	406.6 KB
ID:	85231  

Name:	2014-07-19 12.57.19.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	85232  
Old 19-07-2014, 09:01   #111

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Good idea in the head. When I'm single handed the door to my head just bangs since I won't close it underway. What wood for the interior panels?
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2014, 15:33   #112
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Good idea in the head. When I'm single handed the door to my head just bangs since I won't close it underway. What wood for the interior panels?
Good question. In the wood shop I had a tendency to go too thick and heavy - I brought a few samples to the boat. 3/4 ply was crazy!

For framing it will be mostly 1X1 and 1X2. The galley top and engine box will be 1/2 inch ply.

The cabinets are going to mostly be 1/4 ply. I found this pre-laminated stuff with a white laminate on both sides. I am hoping this stuff works out but I am worried about damaging the laminate as I work with it.

All the trim will end up a light blue. I want a modern, clean sort of look.

The entire interior is going to get sanded and coated with white Danboline or similar before final build.
Old 20-07-2014, 17:08   #113
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So I mocked in some cabinetry.

Mocking in has become very useful. I am learning a lot about the specific angles on teh boat and where "natural" datum points may lie. It has taken a couple fo weekends but I think it is goiing to save huge headaches at build time.

Photo 1 - Is the galley area port side. I want to ensure access to the large area under the bottom cabinet. A suspended cabinet will allow me to put a lift out lid on the Galley top and access level one of the storage, a door on the front of the galley will access the lower level inside the galley. I originally thought to extend the cabinet to the ceiling (encompassing the grab handle - but the cabinet was too intrusive into the cabin. It will run inboard to the edge of the companionway. The hanging cabinet will be open front with two shelves inside.

Photo 2 - This is the nav station side. Pretty self explanatory. There will be open front shelves inside the outboard space. The inboard space is switch panel and instruments - I will have to measure up and make sure I have space for everything. I plan a pull out desktop from the bottom of this as a mini chart table.

Photo 3 - You can see how the cabinet shape sets thi interior volume - I will have to design some enclosure for the compass - Maybe just extend this part of the cabinet to the galley top.

Photo 4 - I quickly bodged in the port side shelf. The fiddle front will likely be much taller so I can store plates etc. - I am debating a lower lever shelf at the outboard side - sort of 2 layers of shelves. But I like the huge galley top I have - Forward of the carry through rod however the reefer and A/C units will be in the lower cabinet with lift up counter tops.

Photo 5 - Starboard shelf - This will be designed to match the port side. There will definitely be a lower shelf on this side and the seat op will lift to reveal the storage behind the seats.

Photo 6 - Engine cover. You can see we did the starboard cabinets first ans the 10 degree lay back will still be incorporated. But you can see on the port side the side cover of the engine is more vertical. I actually brought the engine front cover forward. and you can see the front cover will be wider at the top than the bottom. You can also see the inboard end of the hanging lockers will be nicer when extended almost to the companionway opening. Also you can picture the idea to extend part of the port side hanging cabinet to the galley top - say on a line that extends from the first tape seam - this will enclose the compass, I think.

In photo 1 you can also imagine the front cover of the quarterberth storage. The cover will be an the line that extends just aft of the red bag (where the upholstery ends) - This is so teh salon berth is still long enough to be usable for sleeping if needed.

Next week on Saturday I am going to mock up the cabinet designs a little more, mock up the head and v-berth. Sunday I will take a lot of detail dimensions and pictures to document the locations.

I can also then figure out where I need headliner - I am still contemplating just cleaning the headliner I have in there. We'll see.

The rip it all out and sand the interior completely in preparation for build.

All cabinetry will be screwed in. I am toying with the idea of no glue so if needed the interior can be removed? Opinions welcome.

That way I can also build everything and save painting for last.

Whew - long post...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-07-20 13.23.19.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	407.7 KB
ID:	85271   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-20 13.23.23.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	405.0 KB
ID:	85272  

Name:	2014-07-20 13.24.01.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	406.7 KB
ID:	85273   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-20 16.37.28.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	405.5 KB
ID:	85274  

Name:	2014-07-20 16.38.18.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	405.5 KB
ID:	85275   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-20 16.37.46.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	403.2 KB
ID:	85276  

Old 26-07-2014, 02:34   #114
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Last of the mocking up completed today. Basically mocked in the head.

Photos are pretty self explanatory. There will be courtesy curtains to separate the head from the salon and the v-berth from the salon. I kept the "low profile" because I am still liking the openness beck to the v-berth.

May build a cover to hide the bowl. Not sure yet. The cabinets behind will be useful I think.

Removed all the mock up on the port side and did detailed measurements to guide me later. Dropped the a/c and the fridge in place so I will know where the framing will go.

Finish up the sketches for the starboard side tomorrow and then the whole interior will get sanded tomorrow and Monday (holiday here)

Table is still a conundrum - I removed it last weekend and getting around the interior is a lot easier. I am now thinking to devise a stowable "pedestal" table that clips onto the mast. When not is use stored in a locker.

Hopefully start cutting wood next weekend.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-07-26 12.07.17.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	378.3 KB
ID:	85584   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-26 12.08.18.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	403.3 KB
ID:	85585  

Name:	2014-07-26 12.13.14.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	412.3 KB
ID:	85586   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-07-26 12.08.59.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	390.9 KB
ID:	85587  

Old 30-07-2014, 21:13   #115

Boat: 1975 Cal 2-27

Looks great!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
SailerMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 03:40   #116
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Finally getting back into the boat works.

Had to import cheap labor from Langkawi. Paid my brother and wife's flights, offered up iTunes and netflix movies every night, air conditioning and maid service. For all that I am getting free labor.

Changed the whole plan somewhat due to some life changes happening. Will explain more on that at some point.

Going for the fastest path into the water. Patched the saildrive hole and exhaust hole. Will use outboard for foreseeable future. If I ever get the donk working opening the hole is not too hard.

Got the anti-fouling done and have completely sanded and striped the interior ready for build. Made the toilet relocation mounts today.

Tomorrow is the engine box/companion way steps. Then finish the head enclosure. Then galley, then switch panel and we hope to be in the water next week.

Getting lots of rain but perservering.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-11-12 11.07.51.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	398.8 KB
ID:	91509   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-11-11 11.07.30.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	432.7 KB
ID:	91510  

Name:	small 6.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	407.1 KB
ID:	91511   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-11-12 11.07.53.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	412.6 KB
ID:	91512  

Name:	small 7.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	399.0 KB
ID:	91513   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-11-12 11.07.32 HDR.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	399.5 KB
ID:	91514  

Name:	2014-11-12 11.07.20.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	380.8 KB
ID:	91515   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-11-11 11.07.17.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	353.2 KB
ID:	91516  

Old 13-11-2014, 23:59   #117

Boat: Shipman 28, 29ft

Hope to see you on the water soon!

Sent from my C6903 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Salted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 07:51   #118
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Work is progressing - updating CF is not so much - LOL...

Running so hard we are forgetting to take photos.

Will post soon. We are days away from floating.

Done
- Plug saildrive hole - done
- Plug exhaust hole - done
- Paint anti-foul - done
- Paint bootstripe - done
- Sand and paint sides of boat - Pads after 2 years had done a number on the paint - done
- Relocate head - done
- Build head enclosure - done
- Build storage locker to starboard - done
- Reinforce autopilot mount, sand, stain & varnish tiller - done
- Relocate traveller controls - done
- Remove bimini cover, get it stiched and reinstall - done
- Install dodger hardware - done
- Remount & seal compass - done
- Paint and install cockpit steps - done
- Build bilge floor and mount battery tie downs - done
- Build engine box & companionway steps - done
- Seal throttle quadrant hole - done
- Install bilge pump switch & engine panel cover - done
- Redo all companionway trim - done
- Paint V-berth - done
- Paint quarter berth - done
- Install cockpit hardware, stern light mount etc. - done
- Disassemble, clean and lube 5 winches - done
- Remount and bed coach roof clutches - done
- Install new bolts for stancions & make new spectra lifelines - done
- Soak, clean and prepare all halyards & reefing lines - done

Left to do
- Make port and starborard shelves - 80%
- Build galley - 75%
- Finish painting salon
- Cut salon trim, paint and install - 0%
- Rewire boat - 0%
- Install headliner
- Climb mast, inspect and install new windex - 0%

Rain has been killing us. Some days we get 2-3 hours work before we have to hide out. 2 more sunny days and I think we are there.

Mike has been doing general mechanical install - full time
Paulette has been a cabin parts painting dynamo as well as anti-foul - full time
George is general labor and painted the sides, bootstripe and anti-foul - 90% available
Doug has been doing the engine - weekend mornings only

Hope to launch Monday. Fingers crossed.

Major "fluck" up. I bought a Chinese Parsun 5 HP engine in 2010 (It is a direct copy of the Yamaha 4BM(?)

Anyhoo. I delegated engine work to my buddy Doug - he's a great "shade tree" mechanic. We borrowed an engine stand, serviced the plug, filter and oil. Unfortunately we had not replaced the 2 year old fuel - LOL

Unbelievably it did start but ran like crap. Lots of black smoke and very poor power. The fuel was actually green with mold - Yes we are going fast and taking a few short cuts :-(

So we liberated some fresh gas and the engine smoothed right out. However when I shifted into gear nothing happened - nada - zippo!

Turns out the linkage to the gearbox (which is in the angle drive) failed. This was the end of a day and Doug and I started ripping into it. We dismounted the engine from the leg and the shift rod pulled out from the leg. We took the leg apart and the damn rod was failed through.

We also noticed two more cracks.

I have ordered parts and they are coming - local Yamaha dealer doesn't have anyting in stock so no help there. Doug and I tried to manufacture a new rod and the lower clamp then failed! We bodged up another clamping method that didn't work too well so cut our losses and decided to wait for factory parts.

Good thing I had ordered the clamp parts from Yamaha as well.

The Parsun was 1/2 the price of the Yamaha. The word on the street was "runs fine" but made from cheap Chinese materials (metal) - Well this is the price I pay and I am not too big to admit it. It only lasted 2 years of use.

I suppose once all the Parsun parts are replaced with Yamaha parts it will be a decent motor - LOL...

On the good news front a buddy noticed our struggles and offered to loan me a 3.5 Tohatsu long shaft for the launch - Yay! 3.5 won't move my boat against any kind of wind or current but it will get us off and on the mooring in a calm and that's ok for the short term.

Photos to come as soon as we can all catch our breath.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-11-15 10.29.02.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	436.8 KB
ID:	92092   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-11-15 10.29.11.jpg
Size:	439.7 KB
ID:	92093  

Name:	2014-11-15 10.29.15.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	440.3 KB
ID:	92094   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-11-15 10.29.28.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	438.9 KB
ID:	92095  

Old 17-02-2015, 05:28   #119
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Stuff got real - Splash Day Tomorrow!

I'll post more before & after stuff soon but after 2 years and 4 months we finally splash tomorrow. We have been running hard the last 10 days and the list seemed endless. Still about 3-4 little jobs to do...

Photo 1 - Raising the Genoa, Singapore flag flown. Someone is protesting something it seems...
Photo 2 - Mainsail sorted
Photo 3 - Electrical Panel
Photo 4 - Electrical distribution
Photo 5 - V-berth port - (night photos) includes LED shelf lighting
Photo 6 - V-berth starboard with clothes cabinet - LED lights need to be dressed out
Photo 7 - Port side & electrical cabinet (needs trimming). My brothers wife calls it my birdhouse project - LOL
Photo 8 - Close up of electrical cabinet featuring solar remote monitoring & USB power outlet
Photo 9 - Switch panel
Photo 10 - Galley featuring sink plug chopping board, LED lights and fridge
Photo 11 - Exhausted owner
Photo 12 - Exhausted crew - I could not have done this without my big brother - He was stellar. He did all the trim and shelving and thousands of other jobs I was too lazy to do. Big thanks, Mike!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20150216_121738.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	381.6 KB
ID:	97259   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150216_131909.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	386.7 KB
ID:	97260  

Name:	2015-02-17 11.25.14.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	411.9 KB
ID:	97261   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-02-17 11.22.30.jpg
Size:	414.6 KB
ID:	97262  

Name:	2015-02-17 19.32.40.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	404.2 KB
ID:	97263   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-02-17 19.32.50.jpg
Size:	403.5 KB
ID:	97264  

Name:	2015-02-17 19.33.28.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	388.8 KB
ID:	97266   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-02-17 19.34.10.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	403.6 KB
ID:	97267  

Name:	2015-02-17 19.34.48.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	406.6 KB
ID:	97268   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-02-17 19.34.29.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	405.6 KB
ID:	97269  

Name:	2015-02-17 20.00.49.jpg
Views:	131
ID:	97270   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-02-17 19.56.15.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	406.8 KB
ID:	97271  

Old 17-02-2015, 05:31   #120
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Singapore - Relax Lah! is for sale!

Irony of ironies - I got my marching orders and will be leaving Singapore. I'll get roughly 3 weeks to enjoy Relax Lah1's new refit before some lucky new owner will get a great boat.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Relax Lah! Advertisement.pdf (579.7 KB, 94 views)