Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2014, 12:28   #1

Boat: Horstman Tristar 38
Getting glossy finish out of LPU

Need some help desperately. I'm working on the finish coats on my deck but am NOT getting a glossy finish. I've applied two coats of Proline 4801 HS LPU paint and it is about as flat as flat wall paint. Doesn't even pretend to be glossy. I've used this paint before, but for smaller areas, and have always gotten a super high gloss finish.

My basic technique is to clean the area and get it super clean I then mix the paint and let it sit for about 15-20 minutes in the pot. I then add a small amount of thinner, and roll on the paint using a 4" 1/8" foam nap roller and tip off using a clean brush dipped/cleaned every time in clean thinner and I also add thinner periodicially as I go to keep the paint smooth and thin. The finish after all of this is perfectly smooth with no brush marks or belmishes, however it is dull as heck.

Am I not applying the paint thick enough? Do I need a third coat to get it glossy? So sad, i wanted to be done today but don't know what to do after seeing the results from yesterday.
natew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:15   #2
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Getting glossy finish out of LPU

Dewfall, moisture, humidity? Is the flat finish even? Flat on horizontal, glossy on vertical?

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:18   #3

I will have to look closer.. but you know I think you may be right. Flat on horizontal, glossy on vertical. The finish is even, smooth and perfect, just flat.
Old 06-01-2014, 15:58   #4
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by natew View Post
I will have to look closer.. but you know I think you may be right. Flat on horizontal, glossy on vertical. The finish is even, smooth and perfect, just flat.

If that's the case, it's definitely getting dew on it before its fully cured. Apply your paint earlier in the day, and think about a heat source if temps are low. Not familiar with your product, but with Awlgrip you'd also be sure to use a fast/low temp reducer, and to accelerate it. Check if your product provides one or more accelerators.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 16:34   #5

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

And just remind yourself that the paint you've applied already is just base coat for the gorgeous product you'll be getting later. Apply no paint after one PM in the California winter. And as Minaret suggests, use the Proline accelerator, just two drops, because the stuff is powerful.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 13:00   #6

Thanks guys, going to try and get a hold of a bottle of accelerator. Need to see if they will ship me some as I'm a good ways from the store and they are only open M-F 8-6.

This last coat I did on sunday turned out quite a bit glossier, I had applied and finished it by 10am on a rather warm day.

By the way, does anyone have any tips on wether or not roll and tip is worth the effort? I tried it on a section and to be honest I didn't see a difference between the roll and tip section and the just rolled section.
Old 07-01-2014, 15:12   #7

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Roll and tip will be better, but if you don't have an assistant, you only have to please yourself about the cosmetics. The LPU is going to last for a decade, or more, protecting the substrate from UV breakdown.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 20:46   #8

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We preferred roll only on our project, where we could:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ion-96573.html

Be aware that it could also be your roller. We had some foam ones that didn't work.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 21:09   #9

Awesome bstreep! Thanks for the link, definitely going to follow some of the advise. Ive been using the seafit 1/4 nap roller which im fairly happy with.

Roy, I do have an assistant and in our long term cruising plans we will have a few under 5 assitants. So maybe I am fretting a little too much over a perfectly smooth finish that will be covered with non skid and then scratched, dinged, and beaten up with things like kayaks, dinghys, fish, and god knows what else. As long as its durable and somewhat attractive I think Ill be pretty happy. hmmm.
Old 09-01-2014, 21:16   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I recently applied three coats of Interlux Perfection to a small skiff I'm building. Working with a partner we applied the first two coats with 4" solvent resistant foam rollers. We were all ready to tip the paint with a good brush but decided it didn't need it. When it was time to apply the third coat, I was out of the foam roller covers so we used an 1/8" nap Corona Glasskoter roller. That coat we did need to tip.