Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2017, 11:11   #106

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44
Re: glassing plywood prior to hull installation

An acquaintance that frames houses quoted "Perfection is the enemy of Good enough". Years ago I read an interview with a boat builder who was well regarded for his custom builds of OneTon and HalfTon racers. When asked why he didn't use more Kevlar he responded something to the effect of "Strong enough is strong enough. I don't need to spend more money making it stronger than it needs to be." And then he went on to quote how much more money could be wasted on that design by throwing money at it. Now the designs and materials needed to be competitive are WAY more expensive than competitive boats of that era.

I suspect that the designer suggested glassing one side of the plywood before assembly because he has tried or has witnessed someone glassing large areas over their heads with gravity fighting them. Most back yard builds find rolling a 40 something foot trawler over far enough to glass down hand a problem.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:22   #107
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
An acquaintance that frames houses quoted "Perfection is the enemy of Good enough". Years ago I read an interview with a boat builder who was well regarded for his custom builds of OneTon and HalfTon racers. When asked why he didn't use more Kevlar he responded something to the effect of "Strong enough is strong enough. I don't need to spend more money making it stronger than it needs to be." And then he went on to quote how much more money could be wasted on that design by throwing money at it. Now the designs and materials needed to be competitive are WAY more expensive than competitive boats of that era.

I suspect that the designer suggested glassing one side of the plywood before assembly because he has tried or has witnessed someone glassing large areas over their heads with gravity fighting them. Most back yard builds find rolling a 40 something foot trawler over far enough to glass down hand a problem.

At the end of the day some house framers look at their work with pride while others look at it with the thoughts that it will get covered up with siding and Sheetrock. I know which house I want!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:51   #108

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
At the end of the day some house framers look at their work with pride while others look at it with the thoughts that it will get covered up with siding and Sheetrock. I know which house I want!

Me too! The question has to be can I afford what I want? Champagne taste and a beer budget .
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:52   #109
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
So in your professional and personal opinion Elmers glue has better properties than polyester resin? I mean Elmers glue is surely less hazardous and better for the environment.
Nice try, but you need to do more digging to get out of this hole. When I speak of a products properties I'm talking about the actual product. Yes epoxy does have better adhesion properties to wood as well as being less permeable.
If you had a choice between 2 plywood boats, both boats exactly the same except one was sheathed with epoxy resin and the other polyester, which one would you choose?

Please try posting in a less insulting manner if you wish me to respond.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:03   #110
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post

I'm sorry if you were offended. I didn't realize my post was insulting, but please do respond.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:15   #111

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
That's funny. I've been insulting in every post in the hope that you'd quit responding.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:18   #112
cruiser

Quote:
I could talk about my 55 plus years boating or my experience in the marine industry but that's actually not relevant & certainly not a requirement for this forum.
Not a requirement, but you are challenging someone with training and experience, who has specifically requested what yours is. Still waiting....

Quote:
Lets look at your first post where you told the OP that he'd actually get better results glassing plywood with polyester resin than epoxy, "Despite popular belief and all the marketing bestowed on DIYers by epoxy manufacturers, results are actually superior using polyester resin (and it is way less expensive)."
Actually, my first post was # 10, and I certainly stand by it, as I do all my posts that are not taken out of context.

Quote:
Once again a marine "professional" stating that the cost of epoxy is a reason not to use it.
Yes. If other materials will provide results that are perfectly acceptable for intended purpose, why use more expensive materials?

A Rolls Royce is arguably "better" than an Elantra. I own the latter.

Quote:
Here's a question for anyone reading this: do you think that cost savings gets passed on to the client?
If it is a client of Sheen Marine, my answer is unequivocally, "YES".

Quote:
These builders are looking for anything that can give them a cost advantage that makes them more competitive. If polyester resin worked better than epoxy, which is more expensive, I think they would be using it.
Many boat manufacturers do use polyester instead of epoxy.

Quote:
Here's another question for anyone reading this: If you needed to glue 2 pieces of wood together would you use polyester resin?
Yes, I do it all the time, and I have never had a bond failure.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:21   #113
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
That's funny. I've been insulting in every post in the hope that you'd quit responding.
Yes, I realized very early that you were going to try to bully anyone with differing opinion. It didn't work on me. ;-)

Personally, I feel you should be prohibited from using this forum for behaving like this.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:29   #114
smj

Ramblinrod, do you still stick by your quote that results using polyester resin are superior to epoxy?
Old 05-01-2017, 12:32   #115

Quote:
Yes, I realized very early that you were going to try to bully anyone with differing opinion. It didn't work on me. ;-)

Personally, I feel you should be prohibited from using this forum for behaving like this.
Clearly you weren't affected so no harm no foul. Personally, I feel you should be prohibited from using this forum for trying to talk people into glassing wood with polyester resin. However, I do regret making that last comment. I really didn't want to get sucked back into this quagmire. Clearly this has become a war of attrition.
Old 05-01-2017, 13:35   #116
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Clearly you weren't affected so no harm no foul. Personally, I feel you should be prohibited from using this forum for trying to talk people into glassing wood with polyester resin. However, I do regret making that last comment. I really didn't want to get sucked back into this quagmire. Clearly this has become a war of attrition.
No, your responses were clearly intended to be harmful and hurtful
And we're most definitely a foul, and you know it.
Old 05-01-2017, 13:47   #117
cruiser

Quote:
Ramblinrod, do you still stick by your quote that results using polyester resin are superior to epoxy?
Sorry, there is no quote of mine in your query, but, if I understand what you are seeking, I will certainly declare that, "All things considered, I believe polyester resin can be a better solution than epoxy for some FRP applications."
Old 05-01-2017, 13:51   #118
smj

Quote:
Sorry, there is no quote of mine in your query, but, if I understand what you are seeking, I will certainly declare that, "All things considered, I believe polyester resin can be a better solution than epoxy for some FRP applications."

Here's your quote

Despite popular belief and all the marketing bestowed on DIYers by epoxy manufacturers, results are actually superior using polyester resin (and it is way less expensive).

Old 05-01-2017, 14:06   #119

Quote:
No, your responses were clearly intended to be harmful and hurtful
And we're most definitely a foul, and you know it.
Wow, who knew marine "professionals" were so sensitive. If it makes you feel any better people in your profession have never minded hurting boat owner's feelings. I guess you're not used to getting a little of your own medicine. Actually my comments were not intended to be hurtful, they were intended to drive home the point that you're making false statements which would be harmful to anyone who believes them. I'll tell you what, I'll give you a big hug just as soon as you start telling the truth.
Old 05-01-2017, 15:27   #120

Quote:
Hold on a second there big guy. This thread is not about FRP construction. The OP is building a wooden boat. You counseled him that polyester resin would work better than epoxy with his wooden boat construction project which is simply not true. It's a little late to start backtracking now.

Tags
hull, installation, plywood