Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2016, 06:40   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 50
Going from Bristol finish to Cetol.

Last year when I bought my currant boat I knew it had been treated with Bristol finish and I also knew with the amount of teak to deal with that I would not be continuing with Bristol but would be switching to Cetol in the future. Now before all the Cetol haters jump in don't bother because I love the stuff. Have used it for years and The trade off of not as shinny for the ease of application is worth it to me.

The situation is Bristol is starting to fail in spots and unlike Cetol I can't just touch those spots up. Has anyone gone from a varnish like Bristol to Cetol? Do I have to sand the Bristol completely off to bare wood before applying the coats of Cetol?

Thanks
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 17:05   #2

Re: Going from Bristol finish to Cetol.

No one out there has a method for removing Bristol?
Old 09-03-2016, 17:23   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV.Maverick View Post
Last year when I bought my currant boat I knew it had been treated with Bristol finish and I also knew with the amount of teak to deal with that I would not be continuing with Bristol but would be switching to Cetol in the future. Now before all the Cetol haters jump in don't bother because I love the stuff. Have used it for years and The trade off of not as shinny for the ease of application is worth it to me.

The situation is Bristol is starting to fail in spots and unlike Cetol I can't just touch those spots up. Has anyone gone from a varnish like Bristol to Cetol? Do I have to sand the Bristol completely off to bare wood before applying the coats of Cetol?

Thanks
I used Bristol only on my hatch cover - three heavy coats. I wanted it to look like a gymnasium floor. It is mostly under the bimini so sun-sheltered. I have touched up a few spots with Epiphanes with acceptable results. Sanded clean and feathered follow with new varnish. I believe Bristol, as others, say you need not remove but only sand back to solid material. We oil the toe rail, paint the splash, Epiphanes on the Dorades and cockpit edging. In all places, I only clean up without full removal.

Give it a try. Nothing to loose.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 17:36   #4

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Interesting question... I went the other way. From Cetol finish that I found darkened significantly over about 6-8 months to a 6 coat Bristol finish. Couldn't have been happier with the result but it was a lot of work sanding and bleaching out the cetol finish. It looks great for the first few weeks until it began the change to a darker hue.
The advantage we found with Bristol was that a light sand on a dry surface and as long as we put subsequent coats on before the previous one had dried completely, the finish turned out great.
If you have the time and energy, however, nothing beats plain old marine varnish, letting it dry and sanding between coats. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 17:56   #5

[QUOTE=Nicholson58;2068097]I used Bristol only on my hatch cover - three heavy coats. I wanted it to look like a gymnasium floor. It is mostly under the bimini so sun-sheltered. I have touched up a few spots with Epiphanes with acceptable results.

So you have put coats of Epiphanes over Bristol? I had no idea you could mix those two systems.
Old 09-03-2016, 22:23   #6

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'

Try Citristrip from any big box store. It's a couple day deal but won't stink you off the boat. When it's time 12-24 hrs after application) just scape into a bucket and into a trash can. I removed no exaggeration ¼ -½ inch of accumulated varnish. It looked like brown paint.

Option b is a heat gun and scraper but I prefer the Citristrip.

SC

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 08:14   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post
Try Citristrip from any big box store. It's a couple day deal but won't stink you off the boat. When it's time 12-24 hrs after application) just scape into a bucket and into a trash can. I removed no exaggeration ¼ -½ inch of accumulated varnish. It looked like brown paint.

Option b is a heat gun and scraper but I prefer the Citristrip.

SC

So did the Citristrip left it all or was thre still a lot of scraping and sanding?
Old 11-03-2016, 11:14   #8

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'

Quote:
So did the Citristrip left it all or was thre still a lot of scraping and sanding?

It took a couple applications but only had to scrape/scoop the goo off and then washed with soap and water. I left it on for 24 hours per application. I did not sand at all. After that I had a couple touch up areas that I just applied Citristrip for 4 hours, scoop/scraped and was done. I used plastic tools that I rounded the corners so I didn't gouge the wood by accident but no real force was needed. I liked the fact the only smell was oranges.

It isn't the fastest process but it was the least labor intensive. I have read since if you cover it and keep it moist it may have only required 1 24 hour application.

HTH,
SC

sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:40   #9
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Pro varnisher, I always tell people to stay away from Bristol because it cannot be heat stripped or chemical stripped, must be sanded off when it fails. It's a nightmare. Aircraft stripper may remove it if left on long enough, but it will also remove the surrounding finish.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 08:15   #10

Oh no,,so striped won't work? This is the front of the boat do you think the finish has failed to the point I couldn't just ad a couple maintence coats and hold this project till next year?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	435.4 KB
ID:	120533  
Old 12-03-2016, 08:50   #11
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Oh no,,so striped won't work? This is the front of the boat do you think the finish has failed to the point I couldn't just ad a couple maintence coats and hold this project till next year?
I wouldn't, that's totally shot. Once it starts to lift like that it'll hold moisture underneath it. The longer you leave it like that, the more material you'll have to remove to get out the stains.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 14:22   #12

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202
Going from Bristol finish to Cetol.

Scrape, use heat to soften if needed, lightly sand with 320, wash, dry and Cetol, at least 3 coats
If you cover it in the sun it'll last much longer than is reported.
Worked great on my Teak platform on my Bowsprit.
Not Bristol on my platform, I'd at least give heat and scraping a try, if it doesn't work, sand it off.

Sent from SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 16:43   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
Scrape, use heat to soften if needed, lightly sand with 320, wash, dry and Cetol, at least 3 coats
If you cover it in the sun it'll last much longer than is reported.
Worked great on my Teak platform on my Bowsprit.
Not Bristol on my platform, I'd at least give heat and scraping a try, if it doesn't work, sand it off.

Do you think all the Bristol has to be removed to bare wood before applying the cetol or just sanded down to where it's solid?
Old 13-03-2016, 14:32   #14

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Do you think all the Bristol has to be removed to bare wood before applying the cetol or just sanded down to where it's solid?

Sanded till solid, you can fill in the lower spots first, or coat enough that it fills in.
Some folks don't care for Cetol mainly because of the color.
Seems as though it's a great coating though.

Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote