Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2018, 11:40   #1

Boat: 1976 Tradewind 34
Going from wheel to tiller

Over the past years I have had many issues with the chain and rope wheel steering in my 30ft Beneteau. Most issues seems to have been sorted out but the complexity of the system still makes me uneasy. The autopilot situation is a whole another story, I got three wheel pilots and four control heads just to have backups of backups but last year a simple bracket broke at sea and I didn’t have a spare, resulting in an abandoned trip. Inevitably, I am eyeing a tiller conversion, which would bring another advantage, space and weight savings.

I do most of my sailing alone and rely heavily on a well balanced boat and a functioning autopilot. I sailed a tiller steered Catalina 27 before I bought my boat 6 years ago and have fond memories of the simplicity.

Those of you who have gone through such conversion or have sailed the tiller and the wheel versionsof the same boat, I would love to hear of your experience. Any pros/cons of either would be greatly appreciated!
hd002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 14:24   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Going from wheel to tiller

My buddy changed from wheel to tiller steering. This may be helpful.
Far Reach Voyages Home Page
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2018, 19:40   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Made the change a few years back. Need to be sure the rudder post will come through an area you want it to. Get a piece of hollow rod (Bronze) and machine it to slip over rudder stock on one end and a stub shaft for tiller head on other. Will need some form of bearing surface where the tiller shaft comes through the cockpit sole. I used a slippery plastic block machined for the rudder shaft angle and through bolted it to the sole. Will need a rudder head. Edson makes a bronze one that is adjustable for height and will machine it for your shaft but quite pricey. If it will work for you, have one for 1 7/8' shaft with enough meat to be reamed out to at least 2" for $50. Ruddercraft in Idaho will make a tiller to your spec's. Best change I've made to the boat and wish I'd done it way sooner.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2018, 20:29   #4

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Google up "Voyage of the Swan". Dave made the change to tiller steering on his Pacific Seacraft 34 and gives his reasons for doing so.

My PSC 34 is a "from the factory" tiller steered boat. My wife and I are both happy with it. www.irish-eyes-to-the-bahamas.blogspot.com

Bill
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 09:21   #5

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

A 30' boat should be very easy to steer with a tiller. However seek professional guidance with the design changes.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 09:40   #6

Boat: Beneteau first 26

You can remove the wheel and use the emergency tiller as main tiller .
If you have issues with the autopilots now I don't think tiller will solve them.
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 12:38   #7

Boat: 1976 Tradewind 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmakhs View Post
You can remove the wheel and use the emergency tiller as main tiller .
If you have issues with the autopilots now I don't think tiller will solve them.

Whenthe wheel is removed the emergency tiller still has to move the emtore steering mechanism (sprocket, chain, wire, quadrant etc) so I sense a lot of friction. Also the emergency tiller is quite short so it doesn’t give me good leverage.

I am curious about your comment about autopilot, are tiller pilots usually not as good/reliable in your opinion? I was especially looking forward to remedy the autopilot reliability situation.
hd002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 12:55   #8

Tiller pilots are simple and reliable.
Old 30-12-2018, 13:10   #9

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd002e View Post
I am curious about your comment about autopilot, are tiller pilots usually not as good/reliable in your opinion? I was especially looking forward to remedy the autopilot reliability situation.
To remedy the autopilot reliability problem get a good, below deck, autopilot and use it less often (by steering with a helmsperson or a wind vane)

We have sailed a tiller steered boat (43') for 32 years, lots of miles, mostly double handed. We have a Monitor windvane which has steers us approx. 99% of the time while sailing, and a Raymarine tiller pilot (with spare ram) which we use while motoring.

Pros and cons:
Tiller, Pro: simple, direct, good feel, little to break, leaves more room below deck, easier for a windvane to connect to. Con: tiring on long passages if you have to steer yourself. the selection of autopilots for a tiller is narrower. (In my opinion the best autopilots connect to the quadrant or rudder post below deck)
Wheel, Pro:easier to helm for long periods in a seaway, often leaves more room in the cockpit, offers better location for autopilot attachment, resale value. Con: Mechanism subject to breakage, not as easy for windvane connection. Less feel (if a small wheel, hydraulic, etc)
Old 30-12-2018, 13:40   #10

Boat: Beneteau first 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd002e View Post
Whenthe wheel is removed the emergency tiller still has to move the emtore steering mechanism (sprocket, chain, wire, quadrant etc) so I sense a lot of friction. Also the emergency tiller is quite short so it doesn’t give me good leverage.

Removing the wheel completely will.solve the issue with the friction and the space for a bigger tiller .

I have broke 2 autopilots the last yearand my boat weight is mere 2100.
The best option is a good wind vane for offshore or an inboard autopilot .
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2018, 14:30   #11

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Tiller pilots are simple and reliable.
Except when they are not, and there are frequent posts here on CF complaining about tiller pilot failures.

IME, the weak point in tiller pilots lies in the drive, and perhaps in owners not quite following the vendors limits on size and displacement for the boat. One can be fooled into believing a drive to be adequate by its being able to steer the boat under most conditions... and then using it under heavier conditions when they develop. Many yachts will get quite large rudder loads when going to windward in bigger seas. They are transient, so a human driver isn't bothered by them; he simply eases the helm momentarily. The auto pilot can't do that, and thus overloads the mechanism (often plastic gearing) and destroying it.

None of the tiller pilots I've used have been robust enough for long term usage offshore... they could exist, but they aren't in the Ray or Navico lineups IMO.

Jim
Old 30-12-2018, 17:32   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
...the weak point in tiller pilots lies in...owners not quite following the vendors limits on size and displacement for the boat...
None of the tiller pilots I've used have been robust enough for long term usage offshore...
Perhaps heeding vendor's limits might have produced better results? Due diligence in selecting a suitable unit.

Benefits of tiller pilots are their relatively low cost and practicality to carry a complete spare unit, which is so simple to change out. Ideal for small boats. And handy when used in conjunction with wind vane self steering (to operate the vane).

Tags
wheel