Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2017, 17:41   #1

Boat: S2.....7.9/26'
Good containers for long term storage of epoxy?

Epoxy could store well with the right containers for the two parts.

My old epoxy hardened up when I quit using them after Mr. Fiberglass was gunned down by a SWAT team outside of his home....with his hands raised I might add.
The containers were clearly not made with long term storage in mind.

Hoping that some handy person has found a way to keep epoxy viable for a long time.
softdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 17:49   #2

Boat: Sailboat
Re: Good containers for long term storage of epoxy?

I stopped using West System's epoxy for their metal containers, I like System Three's stuff for plastic bottles and easier mixing ratios.
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 18:28   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaseOnLife View Post
I stopped using West System's epoxy for their metal containers, I like System Three's stuff for plastic bottles and easier mixing ratios.
A buddy recommended System Three. Now I have 1.5 gallons and don't think I'll use 1/2 of it this year. Thus this thread was born.
Old 03-08-2017, 18:32   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaseOnLife View Post
Is West still using metal containers in the US? The West epoxy I've bought in New Zealand is all in plastic containers.
I also stopped using the West pumps. They might be good in a shop, but on a boat they are hard to store and messy. I use the shot glass sized graduated plastic cups to measure out resin and hardener.
Old 03-08-2017, 18:36   #5

Had my West in metal for years - no problems. I weigh components, but the pumps, when clean, work accurately. Easy to wrap things in saran to avoid spillage. Their web site is good for tech advice.
By the way, if it "hardens" or crystalizes a slow warming will reconstitute it safely.
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 18:38   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I wish West would use plastic containers that didn't let light through--I can't help but think that light might be bad for unmixed resin. But the metal containers have problems too, in that the hardener, with time, will darken. (I'm told this is due to rust forming on the inside and coloring the hardener).
Old 03-08-2017, 20:15   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Have a gallon, metal container of West epoxy about five years old and it's just fine and the pump works pretty well. If I haven't used it in a few months I have to give about half a stroke to prime the pump but then meters out accurate ratios.

The only complain, the pumps are leaky so keep them in a bin to hold the mess. Wouldn't do so well on a boat in a locker.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 00:21   #8

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

The only metal container West epoxy in Europe is a barrel. All smaller containers are plastic. The darkening of the hardener is due contact with air, nothing to do with container material. Storing instructions are written on the container, suggest you read it..

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:19   #9

Whether it is paint, or resins best way is to pour the remainder into a smaller but full container, no air. Keep it in a cool and dark place as best you can. Automotive paint shops can sell you different size cans.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 18:19   #10

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

zip lock bag in bottom of your fridge. if you wont use it in 9 months, give it away to a friend or any other boater in the yard, who will actually use it. All good epoxies have a short shelf life. I wont use anything below the waterline if it is more than 6 months old, not worth the risk
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 18:28   #11

I had a gallon of EAST epoxy, in metal containers, with the pumps, and it lasted (in the basement) for about 5 or so years. I managed to use over 80% of it before i finally took it to our toxic drop-off.

The best thing (which I didn't figure out right away) is to find things to plug up the pump nozzles with, to stop anything thickening in the nozzles.

I am now just buying epoxy by the liter, in plastic bottles. I'm using the house brand from a local boatbuilding store, and it mixes at a 2:1 ratio, so I'm just using shot-glasses from the dollar store to measure.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 18:50   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
All good epoxies have a short shelf life. I wont use anything below the waterline if it is more than 6 months old, not worth the risk
The manufacturers don't seem to agree.

According to West Epoxies their epoxy and hardener is good for years. System Three guarantees their resin for three years but say it should be good for much longer. Mas Epoxy only gives one year but also says it should be good for many years.

My own experience, I have a gallon of West that's at least five years old and can detect no difference from new other than it's very slightly thicker.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:29   #13

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
The manufacturers don't seem to agree.

According to West Epoxies their epoxy and hardener is good for years. System Three guarantees their resin for three years but say it should be good for much longer. Mas Epoxy only gives one year but also says it should be good for many years.

My own experience, I have a gallon of West that's at least five years old and can detect no difference from new other than it's very slightly thicker.
Interesting post SkipMac!

We have been out cruising now almost 13 years. Purchased a gallon of System 3 about 8 years ago for some deck repair. Only used about a 3rd of it. Found that the plastic containers over a period of time in the heat of the tropics & with the boat movement underway developed tiny pin hole leaks. So we decanted all the epoxy and hardner into a colored glass screw top wine bottle. I know glass! But its in a secured closed (dark)box we use for paint, oil and varnish storage.

So far no issues and I just used some of it and it worked fine
Old 11-08-2017, 07:00   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga F25 View Post
Whether it is paint, or resins best way is to pour the remainder into a smaller but full container, no air. Keep it in a cool and dark place as best you can. Automotive paint shops can sell you different size cans.

So........paint cans. That makes sense though I have seen paint cans that did not achieve a good enough seal to last for years. After painting the house, I bought another gallon for touch-up etc....
Old 11-08-2017, 15:23   #15

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

The problem with metal containers aboard boats in salt water is of course corrosion. My "toxic locker" now has a fresh coat of bottom paint and uncured epoxy as a result...a clean up job Im not looking forward to.

Rusted out in about 2 years.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epoxy, storage