Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2021, 20:02   #46

Boat: 47' Steel Roberts Cutter
Re: Got a Dripless Shaft Seal?

Changed out an unknown dripless seal on our boat when we bought it. Changed to a Lasdrop gen 2.

It was great for a few years, then this year I noticed that it seemed like there was water where there shouldn’t be... so I had a closer look. Not easy on my boat, but it looked like shaft was spinning inside the spring loaded face seal- i.e. the face seal was stuck and the wrong part was spinning!

Hauled the boat, pulled the engine (had other things I wanted to do- but it sure made access easier). Seems the ball bearings in the shaft clamp had disappeared somehow, so no torque transfer between the clamp and the face seal stainless piece was possible. Very odd- and I never found the stainless balls (1/4”, 3 of them).

Anyway, quick call to Kyle at Lasdrop, and I was able to rebuild using torlon 6mm balls from a Harken traveller rebuild kit; and reassemble and install. Seems to be fine now.

Still not sure what the hell happened to those original balls, and how it came apart while on the shaft; but it did. Puzzling and unresolved.

Have to say kyle’s support from Lasdrop was fantastic- 3 calls on a weekend and he answered every one on the first ring; and worked right away with me.

I’ll buy another seal from him when it comes time to replace. Unless I find there is some inherent flaw to the seal design- but I seriously doubt there is. They are a very simple and robust design.
NSboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 21:58   #47

Got about 3.5 years on a PSS. Love it thus far.

Had the brass (?) barb fall out of the shaft log with the old seal (Beneteau...), and it tried to sink the boat. Good times. Hauled, installed the PSS, epoxied the barb hole shut.

I didn't trust the set screws/grubs that hold the stainless collar on the shaft, so I butted a new zinc anode right up behind it as a safety. No way those two are sliding.
C420sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 23:33   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by C420sailor View Post

I didn't trust the set screws/grubs that hold the stainless collar on the shaft, so I butted a new zinc anode right up behind it as a safety. No way those two are sliding.
I put a hose clamp on my shaft as a safety back up, and a ring of tape around the shaft about a 1/16” in front of the hose clamp so I can easily check that the collar and hose clamp have not moved.
Also, no need to burp them anymore. Just run a vent hose from the high speed water inlet hose barb to somewhere well above the waterline. All explained in the install instructions.
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2021, 23:49   #49

Boat: Leopard 40

Hi All,

I have used a Tides marine seals on various commercial fishing vessels over the years. Have had no problems. It also allows you to slide a spare seal up the shaft for future use. This allows you to change the seal without taking the vessel out the water. It has a special casing that clamps over it to protect it.

Very simple reliable system.
aqfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 19:25   #50

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by partingclouds View Post
There's a PSS dripless shaft seal on my boat whose age is unknown. I've had it for five years, and the bellows still looks to be pristine. I know it's recommended that it be replaced after six years, and l plan to do that on the next haulout. My question is, could the life of the new nitrile seal be extended somehow? Or should l just bite the bullet every six years?

The PSS on my boat is about 12 years old, the Nitril boot is in good condition, however they tend to lose elasticity over time, so I got a new bellow from Defender Marine in the US for about 80$US, the carbon rotors and the SS one last much longer unless they have been damaged.
BTW just because the are older then 6 years they don't just fall apart.
But for peace of mind replace it.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shaft seal