Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-11-2006, 13:47   #1

Greetings

Hello. What is it about the ocean? Sometimes I look at it the way a video game captivates party go'ers. It draws you in. For as long as I can remember I have loved the ocean. Fishing, boating, swiming, diving, exploring. It didn't matter really. I just loved it. This is my first post and I have joined primarily to learn however, I do have a sail boat construction related question. Several people on my end are in on this thread.

We are trying to find a way to construct a covered "dock" that has a boat/tender birth/bay at the stern of a 50 foot sail boat. Think garage.
We have a design. A crude description would be an aluminium dock that sticks out the back that has a birth or 2 with dock wraping around one or two tenders. This dock is covered in a fiberglass or aluminium roof and sides. The back has two doors that are partially submerged that swing open to let the tender/s out. Small boat could have a very small birth where as a large boat could have two or three that could accomadate a work bench ,storage, jet skies and a ramp and so on.

That was the description of what it is that we are designing. The real question is .....How much would such an addition change the way in which the boat would sail normally?

I know long winded. Thanks Acoron
Acoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2006, 14:00   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I'm not sure I understand the question.

Are you talking about attaching this dock to the back of a 50' sailboat?????
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2006, 17:54   #3
Kai Nui

Akoron, Welcome aboard. As to your question, but, why???
Old 25-11-2006, 18:14   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
We are trying to find a way to construct a covered "dock" that has a boat/tender birth/bay at the stern of a 50 foot sail boat. Think garage.
As Kai says "Why?" Some ideas are hard to understand without some additional information. This would be one those. Sort of a "The Spy Who oved Me" James Bond kind of thing.

In any case welcome to the forum where questions are entertained all hours of the day. Even hard ones. The easy ones are just easier.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2006, 22:22   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Acoron,
Have you introduced yourself under meest and greets? At any rate, welcome aboard!! I'm certain there is someone here who can understand and answer your question.
I'm one of those old fogeys that just likes boats that sail well, not that have garages or docks attached so I hope you don't mind my honesty but I'm not getting it.
Kind Regards, JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2006, 22:49   #6

clarification

Greetings thanks for the replys

Ok my main concern is how such an addition would effect a sail boat?

I will now attempt to describe this addition. Offten times I see a boat that has a swimming platform on the back of their boats. This platform sticks out 3 or 4 feet and some had astro turf on them. Sometimes they had a tender sitting on them or a jet ski or diving equipment and so on. We thought that we could expand on this idea. The idea that a much larger swimming platform could be constructed that wraped around the boats tender. So now the boats tender has this platform on either side, as if the tender was in its own little parking space. I wanted to take this idea but put an enclouser around it almost creating a covered "garage " for the boats tender.

And as for why? I wont bore you with the details but it is sort of a project. The idea was that a smaller boat would have a small port on the back for its tender and as the boats got bigger this port would get bigger as the number of smaller boats the main boat had increased. I once saw a sail boat that had a boat rack on top of his cabin. On his rack he had a canoe 2 kayaks and a blue plastic paddle boat for his kids

Everyone either stores there tender on the deck or attached to the back on a swivil hook or just tows it.

thanks
Acoron is offline   Reply With Quote