Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2019, 12:58   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Grind nonskid off while keeping it flat

Without seeing the pattern or the damage it is hard to guess what they are. Pix?

Kiwigrip comes in limited colors, but can be tinted. Applying it can be a bit of a trick. They suggest their special roller, and basically, the thicker your spread the material on, the harsher the finished surface will be. It is VERY easy to use too much product, and then the roller leaves a very aggressive surface. So you may want to experiment on any flat piece of scrap. Use a fine paint or other roller to spread out just a thin layer, and then go over that with the Kiwigrip roller to create the texture.

Great thing is, the stuff is water washable. No odor, real easy cleanup. And with a little practice on that scrap--you can get quite a range of texture. If you've got something like an anchor well cover that's a separate small area, that can make a good place to practice, too. Plenty of open time to work it and rework it if you don't like the first results.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2019, 13:14   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Agree with roverhi on a 7 inch disk with a foam backing to keep it level. Don't even think about using a belt sander, it will never come out level. Get a professional grade sander/polisher so you have good control over it and do not burn out the motor prematurely. Keep the disk at a relatively slow speed. Nothing coarser than 60 grit. I have done this before on a number of boats and the results were very good.
https://www.amazon.com/Makita-9237C-...gateway&sr=8-4

If you are going to have it sprayed with an LPU like Awlgrip, there is non-skid that can be added to paint, both fine or course and of course it matches the paint exactly. The non-skid seems be silica...not sure.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2019, 20:17   #18

the non skid is so bad in 4 or 5 places that it has to come off completely. I have a makita polisher. I’ll try this. I will not let this get the best of me. If my boat wasn’t in the driveway I would patch it up and go sailing. This is a one and only time to make this not perfect but good.
Thanks to all.
We we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 03:47   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and belated welcome aboard the CF, We.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2019, 09:29   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and belated welcome aboard the CF, We.
I would guess you have an Alberg 30 like myself cause how many Gord’s are there ?
We we is offline   Reply With Quote