Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-05-2017, 07:16   #1

Boat: L 34
Halyard entry rain shield

I have a keel stepped mast. An area of extreme annoyance for me is the necessity to pump the bilge after every rain shower. I like dusty bilges. . . So I am thinking of making and fitting miniature "fenders" over each halyard entry point into the mast to try to prevent rain ingress. Anyone done that? Any clever ideas?
holmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 16:01   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Halyard entry rain shield

G'day holmek,

The rain will still come in through the sheaves at the masthead, too, even salt spray, in tough conditions. I do not think there is a way to keep it from that, short of pulling the mast, foaming a dam in place above the deck penetration, and installing drains above that. A, difficult to do, and, B, then you still have to address the issue of the conduit and the electrics, which require a penetration. I suppose you could go to external halyards, and then screw, rivet, or weld cover plates over all the holes.

If your bilge is deep, think in terms of using a long-handled mop to get the last bit out, and maybe re-define the situation: clean, dusty bilges is best of all!

On our old boat, everything drained into the bilge, from the anchor locker and shower to the mast, through the fridge, even engine oil (blew off a filter), and salt spray that came in through the stern anchor hawse hole. I agree that kind of design is aggravating, but not sure it's worth a whole lot of effort to deal with, it would be a big job to do right. Luckily, our mast on this boat drains into the separate shower pump, where the automatic bilge pump can handle it. Maybe that would be an alternative for your boat??? (It still requires bailing out to get to "dusty".)

Ann
Old 22-05-2017, 16:45   #3

Blow up a balloon inside the mast, and then inject foam above it to complete the seal. Make sure there is a drain above it, ideally using an existing hole/halyard exit slot so you don't have to drill any new holes.
Caddy Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 16:56   #4

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

The balloon is an excellent idea!
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 17:00   #5

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

I'd also suggest pouring in some 2 part paint on top of the foam after the foam has cured. The foam will have a tendency to trap/hold water against the mast and that can lead to crevice corrosion, which aluminum is prone to. Sealing the top of the foam and the foam/aluminum joint is probably a good idea.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 18:45   #6

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy Shack View Post
Blow up a balloon inside the mast, and then inject foam above it to complete the seal. Make sure there is a drain above it, ideally using an existing hole/halyard exit slot so you don't have to drill any new holes.
I don't see how this is practical. There is "stuff" (e.g. wires) inside the mast that would normally interfere with getting a good seal. Plus it will make servicing mast electrics overly difficult. It is not a good idea to trap water inside the mast as that can lead to accelerated corrosion.

The water that gets into the bilge is not salt water and should not cause any real harm. A small diaphragm type bilge pump can suck out almost all the water leaving only a small amount to sponge up if it doesn't dry fast enough.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 21:29   #7

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Probably the biggest issue on whether or not you can live with damp bliges, is whether or not your boat actually has a bilge sump, & if so, how big it is. Especially in terms of depth (vertically). Since on round bilge boats, with bolt on keels, virtually any water that enters the boat will slide up the sides of the hull as soon as you heel over. Which, it tends to get into anything & everything that it then comes into contact with. Be said items in lockers or not. Ziploc "protection" not withstanding. And a huge percentage of modern boats with bolted on keels are built this way. So it is an issue.

As is the one about building a dam inside of the mast, at least for me. Since I've always wondered about the long term wisdom of doing this. Having repaired, or rather, replaced, enough salt water aluminum swiss cheesed parts over the years to fill several dumpsters.

Aluminium just ain't a fan of long term salt water immersion. Even the hard coat anodized stuff. Otherwise folks with aluminum boats wouldn't be fanatics about barrier coats, & clean bilges. As copper in aluminum bilges is somewhat akin to lit road flares in the same location.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 04:33   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Clam Shell Vent ➥ Marine Clam Shell Vents

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 04:40   #9

Boat: L 34

Thanks Gordmay, that's exactly what I had in mind, Might make them a little longer. . . .
holmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 10:41   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 17:14   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
I don't see how this is practical. There is "stuff" (e.g. wires) inside the mast that would normally interfere with getting a good seal. Plus it will make servicing mast electrics overly difficult. It is not a good idea to trap water inside the mast as that can lead to accelerated corrosion.

The water that gets into the bilge is not salt water and should not cause any real harm. A small diaphragm type bilge pump can suck out almost all the water leaving only a small amount to sponge up if it doesn't dry fast enough.
Wires inside are pushed aside by the balloon, but yes, do interfere with creating a water tight seal - hence the reason for a bit of foam. Removing or mousing wires through is no big deal as it's a just a balloon and a bit of foam. No water is trapped in the mast - as I wrote, ensure adequate drainage just above the seal you've created.
Old 24-05-2017, 20:53   #12

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Wires inside are pushed aside by the balloon, but yes, do interfere with creating a water tight seal - hence the reason for a bit of foam. Removing or mousing wires through is no big deal as it's a just a balloon and a bit of foam. No water is trapped in the mast - as I wrote, ensure adequate drainage just above the seal you've created.
I am not trying to keep an argument alive. I simply think the cure is worse than the disease. I envision water seeping down the inner wall between the foam and the extrusion where it would stay damp for a fairly long time. That sounds like a recipe for corrosion in a place where it cannot be inspected regularly.

Do any mast manufacturers recommend this technique?
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 22:00   #13

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I love my dry bilge, but I'd have to agree with Dan, I'd be wary of the cure being worse than the disease too. The vents will help for the lower holes, but for up top no, of course...I'd probably just put a bunch of towels down there for the occasional, what, cup? pint? quart? Is it really more than that? You need something to wipe up that dust anyway sometimes.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 03:45   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
I am not trying to keep an argument alive. I simply think the cure is worse than the disease. I envision water seeping down the inner wall between the foam and the extrusion where it would stay damp for a fairly long time. That sounds like a recipe for corrosion in a place where it cannot be inspected regularly.

Do any mast manufacturers recommend this technique?
I understand your concerns, as I own a 49 year old steel boat and am quite versed in corrosion. My recommendation assumes this is done correctly - proper seal/materials with proper drainage. No question if you cock it up and trap water and moisture inside the mast you've done more harm than good. I like dust in my bilge no matter whether it rains for days or I'm offshore in 30 knots.

Tags
halyard