Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2024, 23:44   #1

Hand Painted Lettering

I am having the hull painted on my boat and will be painting the name on the transom.

I went to art school a million years ago, when we used to do all lettering by hand because computer typography just wasn't a thing yet. So, back in the day, I wouldn't have thought twice about doing this myself. But, painting the side of a boat is a bit different, and my hand is not as steady as it used to be.

So, in all likelihood, I'll pay someone to do this for me. But, before I give up on it altogether, I am trying to get some good information about how to do it well. I'm actually not finding much in the way of information about paint selection, tools, and tricks of the trade.

Any advice?
Foswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 00:47   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Hand Painted Lettering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foswick View Post
I am having the hull painted on my boat and will be painting the name on the transom.

I went to art school a million years ago, when we used to do all lettering by hand because computer typography just wasn't a thing yet. So, back in the day, I wouldn't have thought twice about doing this myself. But, painting the side of a boat is a bit different, and my hand is not as steady as it used to be.

So, in all likelihood, I'll pay someone to do this for me. But, before I give up on it altogether, I am trying to get some good information about how to do it well. I'm actually not finding much in the way of information about paint selection, tools, and tricks of the trade.

Any advice?
You can try it on paper first. Or cut a template that way. I saw people use a template to sketch with pencil then remove the template and paint using the pencil marks as reference.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 01:05   #3

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

In this part of the world we almost always have transfers made to apply very carefully. And in my view they're very reasonably priced, colour, size, font etc all selectable.
Old 04-05-2024, 01:12   #4

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Why don't you use stick on vinyl lettering? You can pick any style lettering, color as well as scrolls etc

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?

https://www.vinylletteringdirect.com.au/boat-lettering

https://ipdboatgraphics.com/shop/let...-boats-script/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-04 at 16-01-36 IMG_1846.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	289519  
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 01:57   #5

I don't want to do vinyl because I want a very traditional look. I know that you can have vinyl that is meant to look like hand painting, but if it's meant to look hand painted, why not just hand paint it? In my opinion, vinyl is great when you want something crisp and slick - very hard to match that with hand painting.

But, to me, it means something that a person picked up a brush and painted the name right on the hull. I like the imperfection of it. I want to get close to it and be able to see the humanity of the craftsmanship. I don't want essentially a photocopy of that humanity.

Please don't misunderstand - I have nothing against vinyl graphics. When done right, it looks really slick. I really like it on many boats. Just not this boat.
Old 04-05-2024, 02:39   #6

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Gotta love Leo on Tally Ho. Hand carved the boat name with a chisel. Now there’s confidence.

But I think he did use some kind of paper template from memory.
Old 04-05-2024, 03:04   #7

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Here's a thread that you might find useful.

https://forums.ybw.com/threads/paint...t-name.373088/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2024-05-04 at 18-08-21 Painting boat name.png
Views:	24
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	289520  
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 03:52   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Why ?

You can go online and get any name done in vinyl stick on, any color or combination of color, any font, any size, for less than the cost of a paintbrush.

Besides, if you put the name on the side, you can get two identical names done.

I've been doing this for years, never had a name come off, peel, etc, etc.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2024, 04:17   #9

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Here's a thread that you might find useful.

https://forums.ybw.com/threads/paint...t-name.373088/
The linked thread is a nice read, thanks.

As I have access to CNC cutting equipment and the local stick-on graphics shop ghosted me during a job....I have been DIY'ing it. I was taught as a child to use cut-out newspaper letters as a font source and to cut lettering stencils from masking tape for painting model cars and such.

The sparkly vinyls sold for home CNC cutters did not hold up to outdoor use, for those I should have sourced outdoor vinyl.

The lettering I did with PET film and spray adhesive as a stencil and artists acrylics is doing quite well after 7 plus years. I have also done this technique with self-stick shelf paper and have done a couple where the paint was alkyd enamel applied via airbrush. Best to test materials (stencil and paint) on scrap before committing to the boat.
Old 04-05-2024, 04:40   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Why ?
I explained my reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
You can go online and get any name done in vinyl stick on, any color or combination of color, any font, any size, for less than the cost of a paintbrush.
There are a lot of things you can get inexpensively online with a wealth of choices. Yet, people still like to buy things that are handmade. Why wouldn't you just get the cheap thing, especially if it doesn't have little flaws that a handmade item will have?

I have two sets of bowls in my home. One set is full of identical bowls that were produced in a factory. They are perfectly shaped and the glazing is virtually flawless. I probably paid $20 for the set, or something like that.

I also have a set of bowls that I bought from an artisan I met at a local shop. He made each of the bowls, by hand. They are beautiful. He tried to make them the same and did an excellent job, but each has tiny imperfections and inconsistencies. When I look at a bowl, I can tell that it was handmade and I know the person who made it.

Which set of bowls do you suppose is my favorite?
Old 04-05-2024, 12:10   #11
Marine Service Provider

Well good luck with the lettering...post some pics..
Old 04-05-2024, 13:39   #12

I just found out that I know a guy who knows a guy who does this. Does beautiful work.
Old 04-05-2024, 15:33   #13

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@Foswick,

You might practice, with watercolours, for a while, and see if your hands will steady up, with using the muscles again... We knew a guy who did hand letter boat names for people, and, of course, had steady hands. But if you know you have the kind of shakes that sometimes come to old men, I would not expect the physical therapy to help that: once it descends upon someone, it seems to stay.

So if the guy who knows the guy who paints can help you connect, that sounds like a really good way to go. We use the vinyl letters, and they work for us, but I understand that for personal reasons in this case you want well done hand work. Go for it.

Ann

[I, too, used to have hand made bowls made by an artisan, each family member had his or her bowl, and they were not exact copies. I think it is an excellent analogy you drew.]
Old 04-05-2024, 16:04   #14
Marine Service Provider

For sure, I've come across some artists that can hand paint a name on a boat. The end result is undoubtable something gallery worthy, with a price to reflect that, but it is a long drawn out and expensive process.

With modern day AutoCad design and the ability to pick and chose from a gazillion color and font options, vinyl lettering is a game changer.

As an artist myself, I can see where there is some satisfaction derived from doing it yourself, but the realist in me can also recognize the value of a design studio doing the heavy lifting for you.

Not only do you have the ability to pick and choose any layout you want, you can also pick and choose any assortment of " embellishments" or " graphics".

While much of this can be obtained online, many areas have graphic shops, where they can customize every possible combo of choices.
Old 04-05-2024, 16:35   #15

Boat: 35' Alden Design Cutter

I've been in the sign business for many years.

These days, we mostly use vinyl on boats. 20 years ago, we painted almost all boat signage.

One shot is our preferred sign paint.

Edit:
Paint selection - One Shot Lettering Enamel
Tools - Mahl stick, sign painters brushes, pouncing powder, sock, butcher paper, pouncing wheel.
Tricks - Get a large piece of paper, or make a piece as large as your sign. Draw/sketch out your lettering. Buy a pounce wheel and trace out your lettering. Tape your paper where you want your sign. Buy pounce powder, light powder if the hull is dark, and Black powder if the hull is white. Put the powder in a sock and pounce the paper pattern thoroughly. Remove paper. Now paint your sign lettering.
Iron E is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint