Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2015, 13:42   #46

Boat: Nantucket Island 33
Re: Hand Tap or Drill Motor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
How many of you would make a jig? This is dealing with the curvature of the mast per Brenda's comment.
I have to confess I've snapped bolts in the mast when screwing down cleats (that are thick and use long bolts) because my thread (well, drilled hole tbh) was cock-eyed slightly. With thinner material to pass bolts through, or larger hole to screw clearances this problem diminishes. If you need accuracy and don't have "boilermaker's eye" then a jig would be a great idea, I reckon.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 14:40   #47

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeing1 View Post
what do you want a fast job or a good one, I would go by hand to tap...
It is both for drill tapping. You use 2 hands and can hold it much more steady than hand tapping. Your hand does not twist in a uniform way. The tap hole is way blown out at the start of the thread. A go/no go gage proves this. Drill tapping is much more uniform.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
I don't believe he was speaking of something as thin as a mast? Sounded more like plate? I haven't been a machinist for all those years. Are you sure you are not speaking of self tapping machine screws? I'd pop a hole and run one in in a minute with a clutched drill.
Today, I just drilled and 1/4-20 tapped 3/4" cast iron. It's easier than you would think. For Aluminum, I use A9 tapping fluid and Rapid Tap for general cutting and tapping steels and Aluminum.
Reading all the negatives about drill tapping appears to be people that have not tried it.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 14:46   #48

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
It is both for drill tapping. You use 2 hands and can hold it much more steady than hand tapping. Your hand does not twist in a uniform way. The tap hole is way blown out at the start of the thread. A go/no go gage proves this. Drill tapping is much more uniform.

Today, I just drilled and 1/4-20 tapped 3/4" cast iron. It's easier than you would think. For Aluminum, I use A9 tapping fluid and Rapid Tap for general cutting and tapping steels and Aluminum.
Reading all the negatives about drill tapping appears to be people that have not tried it.
What do you us for stainless?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 15:26   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
You use 2 hands and can hold it much more steady than hand tapping. Your hand does not twist in a uniform way....
....Reading all the negatives about drill tapping appears to be people that have not tried it.

What he said.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 15:39   #50

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:

I had to do a bunch of holes in stainless and found a new wiz bang tapping fluid for stainless.. It's a bit messy as it's black and oily. You won't believe it till you try it. There was no galling to speak of.
It's called Moly Dee cutting fluid.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 15:42   #51

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I had to do a bunch of holes in stainless and found a new wiz bang tapping fluid for stainless.. It's a bit messy as it's black and oily. You won't believe it till you try it. There was no galling to speak of.
It's called Moly Dee cutting fluid.
Moly Dee

By the way, I can drill tap 303 or 304. But that I will admit, you have to be very careful.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 12-11-2015, 15:53   #52

I do not believe that anyone has mentioned that there are machine taps and hand taps. The hand taps have straight flutes, four in number. the machine taps have just two straight flutes and are a lot stronger than a four flute tap. For stainless I use a mixture of kerosene and bees wax. for aluminum I use Rapid tap. I believe it is made for aluminum. If you cannot start the tap perfectly straight with the hole the tap will be cutting more on one side than on the other and is a quick way to break the tap. Mac
Hard Rock Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 18:34   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

A few have brought up the difference in a machine vs hand tap, but to me using a drill to tap is just wrong, like using a hammer to install screws, yep it's fast, you can get done in a hurry, but it's just wrong.
But many, many machine shops and almost all manufacturing use machines to tap, so it is possible and obviously if the right feed and speed and tool is used it works well, but so far as going to my tap set that I have had since I was 16 and chucking one in a rechargeable drill? No way.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 18:39   #54

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

If you live on the boat and can't carry everything, Lanolin has a zillion and one uses and being a half decent cutting lubricant is one of them.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 18:54   #55

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
If you live on the boat and can't carry everything, Lanolin has a zillion and one uses and being a half decent cutting lubricant is one of them.
Here is another use of lanolin. Every time my wife smells my tub of Lanocote she says she thinks of nursing her kids. Apparently you use lanolin on your nips while nursing.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 19:57   #56

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Would these be a good substitute for tapping?
They come in different styles.

Stainless Steel Blind Jack Nut 1 4 20x0 71" | eBay
Old 12-11-2015, 20:14   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Lord no, those things are for use in drywall and that kind of thing, but does bring up "rivnuts". I hate those things with a pashion, what happens is the screw binds in the rivnut, and the rivnut spins in whatever it is shot into, so your screw is now a rivit, sometimes needing a drill to get it out.
Now a Helicoil actually adds strength, is more work and expense, but strong, and your stainless steel screw is screwed into a stainless steel helicoil
Way back when I was drag racing KZ-900's once you got the motor making lots of power, the engine case halves would pull apart as the bolts would literally be pulled form the aluminum case halves, drilling them out and installing helicoils stopped that.

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 20:57   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
A few have brought up the difference in a machine vs hand tap, but to me using a drill to tap is just wrong, like using a hammer to install screws, yep it's fast, you can get done in a hurry, but it's just wrong.
But many, many machine shops and almost all manufacturing use machines to tap, so it is possible and obviously if the right feed and speed and tool is used it works well, but so far as going to my tap set that I have had since I was 16 and chucking one in a rechargeable drill? No way.

No offense...reading this leans me to believe that you have not tried it. Why base an opinion on what you think will happen? I and thousands of people in all kinds of professional trades do this.
Tapping by hand is like a hammer on the threads.
Old 12-11-2015, 22:13   #59

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

TEK screws have a bit, tap, starter threads and threads. Even if you swap them out for other screws, they make drilling and tapping a snap.

https://www.fastenal.com/products/fa...0Screws%22%7C~

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1447395199.121504.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	112912

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 12-11-2015, 22:31   #60

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Mr. Thomas, my high school shop teacher would have smacked my butt with a big paddle if I had chucked up a tap in a drill. I'm sure he's long dead so I may try it.
Do you reverse the drill every so often to break the chip?

Tags
motor