Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2013, 20:31   #46

Boat: 74 Westsail 32'
Re: Handrails - remove them all together or keep them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post
I happen to be tied up next to a Westsail 32 that removed his. Here is a pic:

SC
Thanks for this pic! I've seen a few other W32's without the handrails so this one more helps us feel more comfortable in our decision so far.

https://sundownersailsagain.com
Danibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 20:45   #47

Boat: 1977 WESTSAIL 32 #731

I guarantee youll love the extra deck space. With the handrails removed not only do we have no more leaks we have a lot more usable deck space. Its nice...
Abrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2013, 21:05   #48

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Take a look at how you've responded to some of the input you're receiving, especially in Post #21. You've implied that those who find handrails useful are unable to think outside the box, and that they are overly cautious to the point where they'll counsel you to wear bubble wrap when sailing. You also invented an emerging "consensus" among Westsail 32 owners that the handrails should be removed.

Seeking advice is not the same thing as looking for an argument. Regardless, you'll get no argument from me; if you want to modify your boat, be my guest. I've never yet seen a Westsail 32 that couldn't benefit from losing weight.
Wow.

Thank you for reminding me why I quit visiting the forum. Did you really really think that the OP didn't know the term ...mast pulpit?
Old 21-07-2013, 22:46   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
Wow.

Thank you for reminding me why I quit visiting the forum. Did you really really think that the OP didn't know the term ...mast pulpit?
Sometimes CF can seem like "when lawyers attack".
Old 22-07-2013, 01:07   #50

+ 1 for twist in jack lines to stop flapping, also works on tie down straps on the car roof rack/trailer etc.
giant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 04:11   #51

Boat: Ericson 35-2
If your boat tips over 45 degrees while you are standing on the cabin top, you'll want your grab rails to be there as footholds. Plus they look pretty and provide lashing points for gear. Otherwise, if you have other handholds on the way from cockpit to the mast, you hardly ever need them. Jack lines and shrouds don't cut it as handholds in rough conditions for me either.
RedHerring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 04:18   #52
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
Wow.

Obviously a ghost is replying on your behalf then.

dave
Old 22-07-2013, 04:22   #53
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
I generally stay out of CF threads where the OP specifies which answers he will find acceptable, but in case the OP actually wants to learn something: those things labelled "bunhuggers" are more appropriately called a "mast pulpit."

Sometime you gotta learn your way around inside the box before you can think outside it.

Ive never heard the term "mast pulpit" a pulpit is so named after a church pulpit , where you stand looking out over the crowd, ( or bow in this case).

Universally this side of the pond they are called "granny bars"

dave
Old 22-07-2013, 04:38   #54
Armchair Bucketeer

I was wondering about replacing mine (teak) with something that don't require any maintenance and my thoughts moved onto both removing and replacing with higher! (in stainless steel)........for me they are one of those things which are useful when needed. The irony is that OP likely spending thought if not also cash on how to recover a MOB - handrails won't guarantee to prevent one, but for some things "every little helps" is useful......

Of course my thoughts have yet to be translated into any action .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2013, 04:58   #55

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danibug View Post
I'm sorry, I don't really think post #21 implies that those who find handrails useful are unable to think outside of the box. I'm quite sure that many people who like handrails (the majority here) are also capable of thinking outside of the box. What I was saying is often times in response to an "out of the box" or unfamiliar idea or question there can be a knee jerk reaction for people to say or recite what they have heard for all times without really taking a good hard look at what is being asked. Like for example saying that removing handrails will make a boat less safe, well that may or may not be true, it just depends.

And saying or implying that a boat will be safer with handrails, or needs this that or the other to be safe to me is walking a fine line of being so called "safe" and being overprotective. When you start saying things like "the handrails should stay because they make the boat safer" then I have to go onto to question why stop there? In that line of thinking why stop at just the handrails that are original to the boat, why not add more, adding more will probably make it safer right? Or is there a magic number, a magic placement of the handrails that make the ones in the original design the best? The comment about the bubble wrap is merely to show how slippery a slope this way of thinking can be.

And the consensus formed about Westsail owners is only from those that have commented here on the thread and on another group on Facebook I am on. I asked the same question there and overwhelmingly everyone says to keep the handrails except the 2 out of 3 Westsail 32 owners that said they had removed them and don't miss them or are about to remove them (have wanted to a long while).

Lastly in all honesty I was looking for everyone personal opinions on this topic. I do love a good debate but I didn't start this out to be that way and certainly not an argument, simply a nice discussion about handrails. I was surprised to hear actually from a few who are ok without the handrails and not surprised at all that most people use their handrails a lot and for other things as well. The thread so far is great and very helpful to me, and I will keep all those proponents of handrails in mind when I'm out sailing without the handrails and try to earnestly evaluate the safety of the boat after they are removed, because I certainly don't want to be foolish and endanger myself by removing them. Which was the reason for this thread.
Didn't scour all your posts but went back and reread #21...thought it was reasonable and didn't suggest you were doing anything more than validating a thought you had about your handrails (validating well thought out ideas is what a lot of us use these forums for).

You saw my posts....in most design schools they teach 2 things....make it so it sells (and looks have a higher priority than function in too many cases)... and make it functional (which usually happens AFTER ther original design and the designer learns what is used, not used, used differently, etc..etc. Which is what I posted...if there's a better place or where they are is not completely useless (as many have stated no seagoing boat can have enough safe grabholds) but not used in 90% of the boating you do...then elimination or relocation might be in order...

If you really want to see an extreme in grab hold omission..look at Carolina Sportfishing boats...some of them barely have a toe rail let alone anything to grab while on the foredeck. Not my style...but lot's of people fish those boats and anchor in some nasty conditions.

Don't take the "pokers" too seriously...just gleen the info you are looking for and stay on target...of course unless you WANT to go on a head hunting expedition and I have found while they can be fun...it's all lost in the noise seconds after you have your fun....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2013, 19:50   #56

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Personally I would never remove my grab rails, if I were to remove them it would be only to install something stronger or less maintenance in their place.

I had no idea that they were only screwed to the deck on a W32, that isn't acceptable to me. There goes another entry to my to-do lst.

I have heard the mast pulpits bing called granny rails.
I dont fancy the term bun huggers.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply With Quote