Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2017, 04:17   #436

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Re: Happiness is a Warm Spool Gun

She's looking great! Idora had some computer fans for air movement in a couple spots that were installed by her PO. Nice idea but they were too quiet and were subject to being inadvertantly left on... Bad for the house batteries. I removed them... Still trying to delete all the wires.
Weight reduction can be an issue too. When the cockpit was sawed out and replaced with a CAD designed modern structure, strength went up, weight went down and she went out of trim. I had to get some lead to place well aft to get her butt back down. Hopefully Panope will not have the same issue. See you out there!
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:31   #437

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Idora,

Funny you should mention your "quiet computer fan" story.

I just installed my THIRD head fan. First one was too small, Second one (pictured, upthread) was too noisy and the large diameter did not work with my small(ish) duct.

The current fan is just right as it seems to be compatible with the cheapo motor controller, moves plenty of air, and is almost inaudible at high speed and is entirely inaudible (from my bunk) at low speed.

I had not considered the problem of being "too quiet". My fan draws 0.1 amp at full speed. Should not hurt the batteries as even on a cloudy day, the solar panel will keep up.

Regarding trim: I mentioned that I kept an accurate tally of items REMOVED from the boat. However, I gave up trying to record items INSTALLED. No big deal if bow or stern is down, as there is lots of opportunity to move gear fore and aft or add some trim ballast if necessary.

Cheers,

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 08:09   #438

Yesterday was very busy starting with an uneventful 4:00 AM road trip and 8:00 AM launch. I stepped the mast between 5 and 7.

Boat is floating about 1.5 inches higher by the stern and perhaps an inch in the bow. Just what I was looking for.

Today, I'll correct the list to port by getting the jumbled masses of stores and supplies put away properly and the tanks topped off. The very large storage area under the new bunk is certainly no help in achieving port/starboard trim.

I'm totally digging the new 'stubby mast' look. In addition to the 4 feet of mast reduction, 4 external halyards and 1 topping lift were lowered thus eliminating 40 feet of line - all at the masthead. I think this reduction in windage will be noticeable during high side winds.

Steve

Old 05-05-2017, 20:08   #439

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Brilliant. You are going to have a wonderful season testing the new rig and trim. Get those video camera batteries charged and share with us please!

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 10:58   #440

Third day aboard and the new, forward interior is working out well.

The composting/desiccating head is working fantastic. Easy to use, no smell, large capacity (compared to the porta potty).

I am slowly getting things stored away in their new spaces. Port/Starboard trim is now correct.

Still need to finish the running rigging and bend the mainsail.

Steve

Old 07-05-2017, 11:13   #441

Fantastic job. I feel a new anchor episode coming up because that doesnt look like your Spade. Or did you settle on Mantus? I forget!

Old 07-05-2017, 11:42   #442

Thanks Bleemus,

Yep, stay tuned to the anchor thread as I have already tested/filmed the DELTA anchor visible on the bow. Sometime this week I will edit and post the findings.

The Spade is still my favorite. I'll re-mount it when I get a spare moment

Steve
Old 13-05-2017, 13:19   #443

I'll post this link here because, in a round-about way, I met Bob Perry because of this thread.

Geoduck (Steve's little motorsailer)
Old 13-05-2017, 13:23   #444

Nice! Is there an origami build option?
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2017, 13:38   #445

One could certainly built it "stitch and glue" style using pre-cut hull plates over simple formers. However, my intention was to use conventional techniques - frames first, then plate.

Steve
Old 13-05-2017, 14:37   #446

Oops! Sorry, wrong forum........
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 20:14   #447

Very pleased with the new bilge storage areas. Bone dry. Odor free.

I moved the Engine spares, electrical/plumbing bits, and other stuff into the midships bilge. Previously, this stuff was in the extreme aft of the lazarette. Empty bins will get food and drinks. With our cold water, a metal bilge makes a half decent fridge.

Spare anchor locker is sorted. The laundry hamper holds the Fortress Anchor rode - rigged and ready to use. The wooden oval shaped thing is the "foot" of my beaching leg (The leg itself is lashed to the underside of my bunk - totally hidden and out of the way).
Old 23-05-2017, 23:22   #448

Finally got to go sailing!

To recap:

-About 800 lbs of ballast was removed. (Boat still has more ballast than the design calls for).

-Remaining, re-worked BALLAST C.G. is perhaps three or four inches lower.

-Anchor chain is lower. Ship stores are lower.

-Interior (wood) is now about 300 or 400 pounds lighter

-Masthead (and associated lines) is about 25 pounds lighter.

-New C.G. of the ENTIRE BOAT is unknown.

-The boat is floating more than 1 inch higher.

The big question is: Did all those modifications change the stiffness of the boat?

I can say without a doubt that the boat is NOT more tender. I am tempted to say that the boat is stiffer, but I realize that wishful thinking is a powerful force that can negatively affect objectivity.

We sailed the boat in about 15 knots of wind under full sail. This is just the sort of wind that would have (formerly) put the side deck awash. Today, the decks seemed drier. The fact that the whole boat is an inch+ higher could account for some of that dryness. Let's just say that I THINK the boat is a tiny tiny bit stiffer.

Increased stability or not, I am very pleased with all the changes. I now have a permanent double bunk and a head with some capacity and that does not stink. I got a bilge that is voluminous, clean, (cleanable) dry, and will drain properly if flooded. I got an anchor locker that drains to a serviceable sump. I have piece of mind that the aluminum under the lead/cement is NOT corroding significantly.

Steve

Old 24-05-2017, 00:29   #449

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Increased stability or not, I am very pleased with all the changes. I now have a permanent double bunk and a head with some capacity and that does not stink. I got a bilge that is voluminous, clean, (cleanable) dry, and will drain properly if flooded. I got an anchor locker that drains to a serviceable sump. I have piece of mind that the aluminum under the lead/cement is NOT corroding significantly.
Steve, that is a brilliant refit. I take my hat off to you with what you have achieved in such a short time. Beautiful workmanship as well.

Congratulations!

What is your next project on board? I can't image that you will be content not tinkering .

SWL

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 05:22   #450

Well done. You have completed in a winter what many would take years to accomplish. Kudos!