Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2013, 17:13   #1

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Happy with Soda Blasting

I just got the bottom of the boat soda blasted. It was expensive BUT it saved quite a bit of time.

For the record... soda blasting preserves most of your epoxy assuming it was adhered well in the first place. I did have bits and pieces come off here and there but Osprey Marine (whom I am extremely happy with) is providing incredible support and guidance even though we are doing all the rest of the work ourselves.

I would say that for the price, 40 feet is about the shortest boat that you will gain any time advantage. Larger and you are bound to save lots of time.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 18:34   #2

Boat: Beneteau 323
Would you mind saying the size of your boat and the cost?
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 18:52   #3

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Happy with Soda Blasting

zboss I'm looking at having mine soda blasted this fall, and need to find an outfit to do it. Did you have the boat hauled at Herrington North, and they came in and did it or did you need to move the boat and have it hauled elsewhere? I ask because I'm going to have a variety of work done when it's hauled and would obviously love to have it all done in one place. I'm 40' with years and years of paint to take off. What did it end up costing you?
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 19:16   #4

I am already on the hard at HHN, so they just needed to move the boat to ospreys pad. So far, I am very pleased with HHN in general. The staff are exceptional, the services and facilities are also exceptional, and the number of vendors varied.

My experiences with the varied cadre of vendors is very good and their prices reasonable for the Annapolis area.

I paid about $46 a foot not including the marina fees. Like I said, not cheap. However, the soda blasting not only removed the paint quite efficiently but it also revealed several issues of which I was unaware: the previously mentioned areas where the barrier coat was not adhered properly, a few spots where the original vinyl layup had not set after 26 years, a couple of blisters, and most importantly a large repair area.
Old 25-08-2013, 20:11   #5

Boat: 1995 hunter 430

46$ is not bad.... I paid 22$ a foot but it was 22$ a foot each side
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 11:31   #6

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
I paid about $46 a foot not including the marina fees. Like I said, not cheap...
That is very reasonable, particularly compared to what I've heard I could expect to pay in Annapolis for the same work. Now if there is anyone down there who will roll and tip the topsides with a dark color for a reasonable price I might have to make the trip down there this fall. Any vendors at HHN that specialize in painting?

Thanks,
Alex
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 10:45   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
That is very reasonable, particularly compared to what I've heard I could expect to pay in Annapolis for the same work. Now if there is anyone down there who will roll and tip the topsides with a dark color for a reasonable price I might have to make the trip down there this fall. Any vendors at HHN that specialize in painting?

Thanks,
Alex
The same company that did the soda blasting does awlgrip, regular painting, whatever... they are a complete bottom job company. Osprey is a stand-up outfit, highly recommended.

Osprey Marine (and RV) Composites, Deale MD
Old 27-08-2013, 15:53   #8

Boat: 1968 Hinterhoeller HR28

I had a Boston-area company come to my New Hampshire house to soda blast my 28 footer for $950 (included tip). It was very much worth it, removing what I'm guessing was 6 or more layers of paint. It took me maybe 2 additional hours to final prep the bottom with a sander for epoxy barrier coating. I can't even guess the hours they saved me because I never would have gotten the bottom so clean.

I'm a believer, though one should expect to do some epoxy touch-up after a soda blast because they hit a few spots extra-hard and pitted the gelcoat. Since I planned to barrier coat the whole hull anyway, it was no problem for me.
hriehl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 18:16   #9
Marine Service Provider

I walnut shell blasted my 80' boat for a $150 compressor rental and $300 for the walnut shell. Took me 6 hours . Where I was I didn't have to tent. I was Just removing years of hard bottom paint, then Interlux 2000e and ablative paint. Easy.
Everestmaritime is offline   Reply With Quote