Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2015, 11:26   #16
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
re: Hard or Soft Bottom Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreef View Post
My ex boss ED tells me that he has not heard of more than 23 and you know how closely knit a family the divers are .I can only go by what he has told me.What is your best tally for the day? Mine was a 12.5 hour day .Do you know of any better number done?
While I have topped 20 boats on multiple occasions, I don't believe I have ever done 23 in a day. Don't get me wrong, 23 is a lot of boats. It may very well be a record. I doubt it, but who knows? The point is; your ex-boss (whoever he is) has no idea whatsoever whether 23 is a record or not. None. Nobody is keeping track and he certainly doesn't know who has done what, statewide. Or even in San Diego, for that matter. It's a ridiculous claim.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 11:38   #17

I would question how good a job was done at 23 in a day! That's a bout 1/2 hour to clean each one including moving to the next boat!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 11:38   #18

Boat: 45 custom steel ketch-Steelin Time

When I painted my boat, I used a lot of paint. Didn't want to be down there again for a long time. It was all bargain bought at flea markets and such, made sure it was compatible. I put a number of hard paint layers on first, then used some ablative on top of that, actually used a different color on the first coat of ablative so when my keel changed color I had one layer left. Looking back I think I should have just stuck with hard paint, once you put ablative on you have to clean it all off to put a coat of hard on when you repaint. Might have made some extra work for myself. Figured I might be painting next time along a wharf in Nova Scotia, drying out with the tide and it would limit my choice of paint.
Old 20-08-2015, 11:53   #19
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I would question how good a job was done at 23 in a day! That's a bout 1/2 hour to clean each one including moving to the next boat!
The conditions have to be just right to get this many boats done. The last time I broke the 20-boat mark (and believe me, I have no desire to repeat the experience) was a few years ago at the Nordic Folkboat Worlds at the Richmond Yacht club, here in the Bay Area. 21 boats, all parked and rafted-up in a small area. I could sometimes get to 3 at a time without getting out of the water. I used to service a sailing school fleet that typically had 14-16 J/24s all parked on one dock. I could hit four at a time there and have them all done by lunch.
Old 20-08-2015, 13:09   #20

Boat: a sailing boat

If you haul out often, paint ablative.

If you haul out hardly ever, then pain hard and 'scruby dooby.' ;-)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 13:43   #21
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
If you haul out often, paint ablative.

If you haul out hardly ever, then pain hard and 'scruby dooby.' ;-)
Anti fouling paints have a maximum lifespan, typically 2-3 years, maybe a little more. This is determined by the paint's copper content and "leach rate," the rate that the paint commits that copper to the water. Once most of the copper is gone, the paint becomes ineffective. And again, that usually takes around 2-3 years, regardless of paint type. If you haul for new paint less frequently than that, you ain't doing it right and that's simply the nature of the beast.
Old 20-08-2015, 14:05   #22

Marine painters locally in AKL, NZ, seem to favour scraping the old antifouling off. A couple of strong young guys can do it very quickly. Sanding creates toxic dust and clogs the sander up. Choose your own poison; hard or soft depending on which one painters / suppliers / users find works best in your chosen locality. It also can depend on your actual mooring and tidal flow.
GrahamHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 15:57   #23

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreef View Post
HI I spent 2 years in total cleaning hulls in CA at Dana point working for 6 different companies and am told that even now my record of 23 boats cleaned in a day is the record number.That was in 1985 and 3 other years later on .
From my experience I would go with hard paint especially if you are having it cleaned every month as the soft paint really does come off FAR more easily.
I personally would steer well clear of you. I'm not trying to be offensive, so forgive me if you are offended. But seriously, my boat and my money means more to me than your breaking records. And frankly, if you did 23 boats in a day, that's less than an hour on each one. That's just wrong
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 16:11   #24

To the OP,

I'm in the same boat , I'm about to do a better job at anti fouling AGAIN than I did last year. Last year I turned to economical and purchased ablative paint (Sigma) that is sold commercially. The tins were 5 litres instead of the common 4 litres. And whilst I saved money last year, I think the stuff feeds growth.. six months later it was becoming obvious there was a significant change.

From what I've picked up on CF over the past four years is that bottom paints for sail boats depend Your location. What works in Florida, US, or in colder climates like mine can be totally different. Therefore, better off checking with others who are experienced in either the area you are in or where you are intending on sailing.

And the other thing I've learned is that Economy, is a falsehood. I don't think saving on economic paints for the bottom is a proposition at all. Perhaps if I lived in warmer climates where I can dive every week and hand wash my hull then it would be worth taking the chance of using cheaper paints, but where I am (below 40), then I'm not even in a position to dive in summer months. There seems to me to be a good reason in the price difference of paints which can double or treble. I've come to believe this is not necessarily marketing.
Old 20-08-2015, 16:39   #25
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
...if you did 23 boats in a day, that's less than an hour on each one. That's just wrong
Not necessarily. Yes, if the guy banged out 23 forty footers in a day, you can safely bet he cut a lot of corners. But dont assume that every boat should take an hour or more to clean. Small boats take less time.
Old 20-08-2015, 16:42   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Not necessarily. Yes, if the guy banged out 23 forty footers in a day, you can safely bet he cut a lot of corners. But dont assume that every boat should take an hour or more to clean. Small boats take less time.
I think your stating the obvious

Unless they are model boats, then doing any 23 in a day is insuffient and I'd stay well clear of him.
Old 20-08-2015, 16:50   #27
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I think your stating the obvious .
Hey, you're the one who said a boat should take an hour to clean, chief.
Old 20-08-2015, 17:09   #28

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Hard or soft bottom paint

We are using an ablative, Altrex AF5, with good results. Pulled the boat at about 19 months in the water and we were still good and clean though the propspeed coating had given up. As a result we've dabbled with applying less ablative paint this time to cut back on the amount of sanding. I'll know how it went in 18 months I guess. But of course it depends where your boat is stored. Around us the Altrex appears to be doing better than other paints I have discussed with owners though of course most of those owners had their boats on the slip to do the antifouling at the time so they may not be the best to ask.

Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 20-08-2015, 17:35   #29

Boat: Seafarer36c

I must be a slacker. It usually takes me 2 days to clean the bottom of 1 boat.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 17:37   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Hey, you're the one who said a boat should take an hour to clean, chief.
You have lost me I have at no stage suggested an hour is sufficient. I'm suggesting quite the contrary that anyone who seems to think that an hour or less is adequate, I'd stay clear off.

Tags
bottom paint, paint