Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2022, 00:08   #1

Boat: Pan Oceanic 46
Hard top Bimini

There has been some discussions about Hard top biminis to soft tops.
We have a 43 ft Centre Console and the soft top that came with the boat has terrible view from the helm due to its design.
I'm very keen about putting on a Hard top with an open front for a more commanding view and can always cover around with clears. A big positive is I can service the boom easily by walking over the top of the Bimini.
Interested in some further views on this and some images of hard tops you guys may have installed.
conj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 06:09   #2

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.
Re: Hard top Bimini

Our Bimini is about 11’x12’. 1-1/2” aluminum pipe all welded. Two aluminum planks to walk on and four big solar panels. Eight vertical 1-1/2” pipes for legs angled aft..Looks nice.
Any tuna tower fabricator can camber the cross members and bend the edge ring.
Planks are stadium seat extrusions only the antiskid type like you see on dock ramps. Tough on the knees but you won’t skid off. Two and a half planks are excellent to do the sail. We ran 90 degree angle fore and aft to bolt the solar on and add more support. The legs go to larger angle pieces welded between the cross beams. Tuna tower guys use flat plates but angle gives you a lot more support. Keep the legs parallel not opposed like a tuna tower. No need for a heavy fiberglass top. The planks and solar panels will be enough.
Camber in the cross beams makes it very strong. Vibrates in very high winds so we strap it down to folding pad eyes. Holds 220 lb human but not the manatee crew at one ton each.
Sorry, the manatee crew doesn’t know how to post photos.
Happy trails.
Mark
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 14:19   #3

Thanks ....sounds like a good setup.
Be good to see some images.
Old 07-03-2022, 20:32   #4

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

My bimini had a hard surface about 5 1/2 feet wide and about 7 feet long, with removable canvas panels either side, for a total width of about 11 feet.

I made the hard section out of Deckolite made by Baltek (sp?), end grain balsa between thin skins of fiberglass. They said it was as strong as plywood, but half the weight. This was in 2005 but I'm not sure if it is available any longer. Great stuff.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 22:00   #5

Thnks GGray,

That Deckolite material sounds good....I have heard of something similar but can't remember the product.
Any pics of the setup ?
Old 10-03-2022, 18:39   #6
UYA

Boat: Moody 42

I think a hard Bimini is a good choice. We switched from soft to hard and never regretted it.

Pros:
  • much more durable: soft Biminis disintegrate after a few years, especially in high sun / wind climates. We had to restich ours multiple times.
  • allows to integrate solar panels, see pictures below
  • can be used for rain collection, depending on construction
  • depending on construction: you can walk on it
Cons:
  • heavier
  • can't be removed easily

Our hard top dodger (in construction), made of marine rated aluminum. The solar p
panels are flush, no lines can tangle:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dodger.jpeg
Views:	899
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	254249  
UYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 18:47   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

If you live in hurricane land then the ability to remove the Bimini and dodger is important. I have some 310watt solar panels on an arch and i don’t think I can get them below. They are about 1/4” too big for the companionway. I will probably tie them down more. We went through a reported 70 knots in one storm. I had the wind gen tied but somehow it got loose and threw all its blades.

We have thought a lot about a hard top but decided against. As we are in the Caribbean the open concept appeals to us. If we decide to spend more time North the. We will look to converting our system to a full enclosure but still stay soft/canvas.

No tight or wrong, just different use cases.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bimini