Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2023, 09:26   #31

Re: Has anyone refinished a cast aluminum hatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7479 View Post
I sandblasting our Lewmar hatches and put directly ( within 1hour, without touching them by hand ,screwed a few bolts in the frames) West System epoxy 105 by brush 2 layers. The color effect is dark gray.
They are look still fine after 3 years.
Oh nice. Thats probably similar to the grey color jedi was talking about. Looks pretty good.
BAD ORCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2023, 09:30   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBsurfin View Post
I have the same hatches on my 1980 Dickerson. I stripped them to bare metal, Deoxidizer, used Rust-Oleum black aluminum primer (2 coats), then Rust-Oleum high gloss(3 coats) go light on the coats. Going on 3 years and they still look bright. I used 2 part epoxy paint on my aluminum pedestal, correct prep, lasted 2 yrs. pealing. Going to strip and follow what I did the hatches.
Interesting. I wonder what happened? I dont think they used primer when they painted mine so i wonder if thats why your pedestal peeled? Sounds like maybe it wasnt primed? I think im going to anodize my large hatches when the time comes. Have been looking at all the boats i can in the marina and all the anodized hatches still look good. Most of the painted/powder coat hatches i see are in various stages of decomposing.
Old 03-10-2023, 09:32   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
I have some cast bowman hatches on my boat.. Recently cleaned off the black coating and painted them with an edge primer and one pot polyurethane paint... Works well.
The fwd hatch I left bare and sofar no problems.
Nice! Mine was painted with car paint which i believe is the same. Fingers crossed.
Old 03-10-2023, 09:49   #34
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I have used many different paint systems on aluminum and today I would use three steps:

1- Aluprep
2- Awlgrip wash primer CF
3- Awlgrip original topcoat

According to the instructions for Awlgrip wash primer CF, step 1 isn’t required and I tried that… but I would do it anyway today. The nice thing about this new primer is that you can skip the epoxy primer.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 06:40   #35

On my aluminum brackets and other parts, I sanded to remove contamination etc., then brushed on epoxy primer and while still wet and uncured, I wire brushed right through it, leaving the surface coated. Of course, this layer is a bit discolored because of the swarf kicked up by the brush, but the epoxy resin is in contact with virgin aluminum which has not had the chance to oxidize. Then I gelcoated over the epoxy with my color. This will provide some filling and will be very long lived. It came out great and hasn't shown any corrosion yet after three years.
mfoh69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2023, 08:34   #36

Boat: Hunter 40.5 and C+C36

I had Atkins and Hoyle cast AL hatches designed for a category 5 hurricane. The finish was OK, but, I could not put in new Acrylic without it leaking. I tried many times, etched the plastic and used several compounds. The "experts" said I needed new Acrylic, which I had, etch it and bake for many hours. I could pay them to do it and it would be guaranteed for 1 year!!!! I replaced the entire hatches with Lewmar hatches for the same money. They have a design whereby the acrylic is pinched between gaskets and the frames. They do not rely upon sealing the acrylic into the frame. The acrylic is easy to replace, but, mine have been leak free for 10 years.
j.g.evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2023, 10:23   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.g.evans View Post
I had Atkins and Hoyle cast AL hatches designed for a category 5 hurricane. The finish was OK, but, I could not put in new Acrylic without it leaking. I tried many times, etched the plastic and used several compounds. The "experts" said I needed new Acrylic, which I had, etch it and bake for many hours. I could pay them to do it and it would be guaranteed for 1 year!!!! I replaced the entire hatches with Lewmar hatches for the same money. They have a design whereby the acrylic is pinched between gaskets and the frames. They do not rely upon sealing the acrylic into the frame. The acrylic is easy to replace, but, mine have been leak free for 10 years.
Huh. I wonder why? Maybe they are warped or the deck is uneven, when they are bolted to the deck its warping the aluminum frame?
Old 06-10-2023, 10:28   #38
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAD ORCA View Post
Huh. I wonder why? Maybe they are warped or the deck is uneven, when they are bolted to the deck its warping the aluminum frame?
There must be an oily residue on the aluminum or it was incompatible sealant. We have had many discussions on sealants for this job and I think it’s all been worked out.

I still find it best to use 3M VHB tape for adhesion followed by a compatible silicone around the perimeter for sealing.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aluminum, hatch