Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2013, 14:26   #31

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Re: Headliner insulation to keep heat OUT (hot climates)

It is headliner material. But don't know yet if that is my original job, or someone in the last 13 years re did it.

The whole process,short version.
I tore out the carpet, cleaned surface, glued ( not glassed, just epoxy) strakes along the ceiling port to starboard giving a surface to staple the new headliner to ( my headliner guy marked where he wanted the strakes). Painted surface. I cut reflectex to fit between the strakes and affixed with 3m adhesive. After headliner was in, I then covered the staple sections with teak trim.
I hired Rodney from Boat Fashions in Kemah, Texas, to come in to cut and attach the headliner. By doing all the prep work it only cost me 375 ( i think) to have rodney do the entire cat, including headliner fabric. Rodney was happy not to deal with all the crappy prep. I think it took him 2-3 hours maybe( not sure on that).

But!! Before taking too much advice from me, lets see what Stray Cat says. I am especially curious to see if the epoxy strakes held up. Many people glass the strakes.

The Gemini's cabin top had some wicked bends. A trick to make the strakes more flexible and curve with the surface. I had someone score the 1" slats on one side..I know that is not the proper term but I'm no a woodworker

Hopefully someone with more knowledge will pipe up and describe the process better than what I'm doing.

Another description of headliner replacement from a blog I found:
"Headliner Installation in Progress....We started by running half by 1 inch strips, 20 inches apart forward to aft. Once the strips were installed, we dry fit half inch insulation sheets cut to size in between and prepared for the planks. I will post a step by step recount of the project, but wanted to throw up some pics now that the majority is done in the main cabin. So far, so good."

Clear as mud?

Will write back with Stray Cat's feedback on my work..gulp.

Erika
Old 18-07-2013, 15:13   #32

Boat: 74 Westsail 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beersmith View Post
Hi Dani, I am planning on using the two-layer reflectix approach on Windsong. My plan right now is to affix the reflectix to the headliner panels instead of the hull itself. I was worried about taping or gluing the insulation to the cabin top because of mold and if I ever wanted to remove it. I figure you would need nearly 100% of the surface glued down to avoid moisture from gathering between the insulation and the cabin top.

My guess is that if I affix the insulation to the headliner panels I would avoid those problems, as well as give the gap between the reflectix and cabin top that people say is needed for it to really work.

watching this thread for more ideas though
Hi Erick! Won't the gap left from the panels be a prime space for mold to grow also? I am going to paint the fiberglass on the overhead with bilgekote (anti mold) 1 coat then probably put two layers of the bubble insulation on the ceiling. I spoke with the representative and you can actually screw the insulation in place or think of some other means to mechanical fasten it without cutting down on it's insulative properties (it's light in weight so it shouldn't be too hard).

If I had headliner panels I'd probably just put the reflectix under them in whatever thickness would yield a tight fight against the cabin top when you replace the panels.

I have heard that even putting it right up on the overhead still provides a good amout of cooling. I'd rather be a little warmer with a lessened chance of mold then leave a large gap for mold to grow.

I don't have headliner panels so I'm thinking of just putting two layers of the bubble stuff up on the ceiling (white side down) and afixing it mechanically somehow. Maybe I'll see how that goes before using an adhesive.

https://sundownersailsagain.com
Danibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2013, 15:17   #33

Boat: 74 Westsail 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
But!! Before taking too much advice from me, lets see what Stray Cat says.
Good idea, I'm all ears

https://sundownersailsagain.com
Danibug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 09:30   #34

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Re: Headliner Insulation to Keep Heat OUT (hot climates)

Stray Cat wrote back and said the 13year old headliner job has held up great whew!

Good luck on your project.
Erika

Tags
headliner, insulation