Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2018, 14:34   #1

Boat: Hullmaster 27
Heater Installation

The snow may have melted off the docks, but it's still freezing overnight, An electric heater keeps the boat toasty warm at the dock, but nights at anchor are a different story.

My boat has a Kerosene heater, but the previous owner never installed it. Probably because he couldn't work out where to put it either.

So I would like to work out if installation is practical ... There are only two locations which make any sense, both have complications.

A) On the bulkhead above the portside setee. Obviously the oil-lamp will have to be moved to make room for the chimney, but the problems here are that if not careful it will block opening of the locker behind the seat back, and that it will be located above flammable(?) cushions, so a proper tray will have to be constructed to catch any fuel drips.

B) infront of the compression post above the table. The biggest problem here is that this will prevent the table from ever folding up again. It will be easy enough to protect the table from accidental fuel drips, but it will also block off a useful storage compartment.

Both locations have the problem that the maximum flue length is 24" and the manufacturer recommends at least 48" to the deck fitting.

I prefer location (A) over the seat, but on the outside this will have to put the chimney location in a very tight triangle between the teak handrail, a dorade vent and the control lines on the coach roof. I'm not sure that this space will be big enough for a hot chimney pipe no to cause any damage. Although with some ugly routing of the flue in the cabin I could maybe reach the possible location for the chimney that makes sense for location (B).

So I guess my questions are:
1) Are there any other advantages/disadvantages of locations (A) and (B) that I have overlooked?
2) Will the short flue length cause any unacceptable problems?
3) Will additional insulation be needed at the cabin roof or deck due to the short flue length?
4) Is there enough space for the chimney pipe between the dorade and the hand-rail for location (A)? Or will I have to route the chimney to (B) for either location?
5) The heater has a stainless steel mounting plate that leaves about 1/2" air gap ... what additional insulation will be needed between this and the bulkhead?

When summer comes around ... I won't miss the heater, and I'll forget all about it until next winter ... so I need to think about it now ... any help appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	161575   Click image for larger version

Name:	B.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	159.1 KB
ID:	161576  

Click image for larger version

Name:	sPC301396.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	147.2 KB
ID:	161577  
Kelkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 03:11   #2

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: Heater Installation

It is best to have the heater as low as possible, not just to keep the heat in the flue where it passes through the cabin top down but to avoid frozen toes. Fans will help but you really want the heater as close to the sole as possible.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 06:57   #3

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Kelkara,
The most important consideration is a clean, functional installation of your heater. Everything else is secondary. So, your concern about the dining table, in my opinion, is not important since other arrangements for eating can be made. I have the same problem and have removed my floor mounted table to cleanly accomodate a Refleks Diesel Heater which will be mounted as close to the cabin sole as possible for a cold air draft and the ability of the heater to generate heat in a larger column of air. I am looking at a foldaway/swing table made in Sweden that will seat two persons comfortably and can be removed when not in use. For a full-time live-aboard, a quality, functional heater is, in my opinion, essential for comfortable all-weather cruising. Good luck and safe sailing . . . Rognvald
Old 07-01-2018, 07:10   #4

What's on the other side of the saloon?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
installation