Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2022, 07:11   #1

Boat: Caliber 40
Help finding repair person for Hurricane Ian damage

Our Caliber 40 suffered some major damage during Hurricane Ian.

The port midships toe rail and rub rail were bent and broken while smashing into a piling. The hull deck joint was exposed and abraded down to glass mat. There are several 1/4" x 3" holes thru the hull part of the deck joint that penetrate all the way to the interior. See photos and attached diagram showing the hull/deck joint construction.

I am in Punta Gorda, Florida (90 miles S of Tampa) and am unable to find anyone who can do major structural fiberglass repairs.

any suggestions on where to find skilled fiberglass work is appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2_Small.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	266702   Click image for larger version

Name:	4_Small.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	266703  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Quadseal_4_Red_Seals_72dpi.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	266704  
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 08:19   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Help finding repair person for Hurricane Ian damage

I think most yards will be up their eyeballs in boat projects since Ian.

Have you considered doing the project yourself ?
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 08:48   #3

Boat: Caliber 40

I would not be able to make a repair that looks good enough - the boat hull/deck are in perfect condition other than this problem. AND... the repair needs to repair the integrity of the hull/deck joint.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 10:16   #4

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
I would not be able to make a repair that looks good enough - the boat hull/deck are in perfect condition other than this problem. AND... the repair needs to repair the integrity of the hull/deck joint.
You could definitely do this repair. It’s very easy. I’m not saying it’s not complicated, but you can certainly do laminations those are easy.

Maybe we can help you on here?

First things first. You have to cut that toe rail back and find a replacement that will look good. Same with the rest of the metal.

Then you need to really get in there and see what’s damaged and what’s not.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 10:53   #5

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

At a minimum you (OP) should start to take things apart and make the ship as watertight as possible. You won't be able to re-use that toe rail... however you should be able to find exact replacement for the section that is damaged. Also, probably very difficult to color match the hull gelcoat so either will need to live with a color mismatch or eventually repaint the hull above the waterline. That can wait though. Plenty of How tos on Youtube. One of my fav channels is Boatworks.

The entire toerail needs to come off to exact a repair. And the rub rail will obviously need to be replaced. So get that off and out of the way and then you can start sealing up your boat.
Old 03-11-2022, 12:03   #6

Bummer, Tacoma.

I love those boats.

Yeah, your area is going to be really backed up with that kind of work for the forseeable future.

I don't envy your choices.

I wonder if you could limp it just out of your area to a boatyard that could do that kind of work?
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 14:09   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hello, Tacoma Sailor, sorry about your boat's damages.

You'll need to inspect inside to see if any furniture has been moved in the bashing it underwent, also. Has your insurance given an estimate of costs to repair?

It may actually be better if you do the repair, under the instruction of a naval architect or engineer. Everybody's going to be all booked up, and you'll need to be in a shed or sheltered by a tent, so weather events don't bother the boat and chemicals.

You can source perforated toe rail via the internet.

Maybe get in line at a boatyard that comes recommended to you.

We had to have some emergency fiberglass work one time, and were fortunate in that the guy recommended by the marina (who had to quickly haul us out again, due to extreme water ingress) was available, and honest enough to re-do it when it failed on being lifted, on his own nickel, and we absorbed the additional hardstand costs. Boat had to be made waterproof before structural repairs could be done below.

Good luck with it, it is sort of a one step at a time thing, and goes quicker if you get out in the evening everything you'll be working with the next morning, all pieces of glass already cut and ready for wetting.

Chotu's right that it is something you can do. You will be learning a lot. But fiberglass workers aren't magic. Some of them have perfected finishing skills. I'd venture to suggest to you that speedy, sturdy repair of your boat might be more important than aesthetic perfection, which can wait till later, as more time and money become available...

Ann

Tags
hurricane, repair