Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2021, 05:34   #31

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36
Re: Help I bought a turd of a sailboat

I guess he's not all that keen on the answers here. Seems to have gone silent.........
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 07:46   #32

Boat: Dickerson Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris P View Post
I bought my first sailboat it needs practically everything replaced. I need some advice, my rudder and shaft are just swinging around down there and I think the only thing holding it all is a metal cross bar at the top and some freaking hose clamps any advice would be appreciated.
"I bought my first sailboat it needs practically everything replaced."

Maybe you should have sought out some expert advice before the purchase? If that bad, donate it and walk away. Why throw bad money after a bad purchase.
JBsurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 08:08   #33

grab a beer.... sit back... prioritize.... begin (the life long ) journey
welcome
arcticmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 08:56   #34

Boat: Catalina 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by lars View Post
Never heard of a responsible boat owner disposing of a boat in a proper manner, unfortunately that becomes the goverments job. Non floridians would be shocked at the sheer number of boats that litter our waterways.
That is really interesting can you give some idea of how many boats there are? I'm wondering if it differs from a car...If you (generic-plural) dump a car then a salvage yard retreives it under local government contract and then can also make some small amount by selling the cost/debt to a private company for pennies on the dollar. I'm not sure if the local government pursues the owner also (I suspect in both cars and boats cases that they do). Similarly in the case of cars and boats they both do end up as scrap one day, thankfully that along with some landfill there is some recycling possible. During the life of both products they are taxed regularly both directly and via fuel/other costs, so if the most economic and logistical means is that the local authorities tackle the task - so be it.

However, I wouldn't want to live near a place where either cars or boats are in limbo while their status is resolved and action taken.
cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 09:08   #35

Boat: Looking

I think he bought the citation on craigs list that was a floating hull that had been stripped clean. It's to bad. That boat is probably on the bottom or blown up on shore. Friends report they have been dealing with severe winds down there and many boats dragging anchor and break free from their moorings.
Old 07-05-2021, 11:17   #36

YouTube and Instagram has unfortunately provided lots of hard lessons to wanna be new sailors lately it seems.
Dubbinchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 11:26   #37
AJA

Boat: Irwin 37' CCKetch (1974)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris P View Post
Hi thanks for the response, I purchased an Irwin 34 citation it's on the hook in the bayou in Panama City Florida I have no motor every time the wind blows or big wake comes bye I hear this loud knocking I went down the engine room and I could see the rubber show just swinging around like a pendulum
You may be talking about the centerboard knocking about in the trunk of the keel.
I had an Irwin 28 that had a retractible centerboard and it would bang around quite a bit when it was lowered and we weren't underway. Not a problem at all. just noisy. Great boat for us overall. Took us up and down the east coast for 15 years. My only gripe with Irwins ( I have a 37' now) is that they don't point worth a damn.
AJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 15:17   #38

Boat: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbinchris View Post
YouTube and Instagram has unfortunately provided lots of hard lessons to wanna be new sailors lately it seems.

I completely agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJA View Post
You may be talking about the centerboard knocking about in the trunk of the keel.
I had an Irwin 28 that had a retractible centerboard and it would bang around quite a bit when it was lowered and we weren't underway. Not a problem at all. just noisy. Great boat for us overall. Took us up and down the east coast for 15 years. My only gripe with Irwins ( I have a 37' now) is that they don't point worth a damn.

OP stated that he could see the rudder post knocking around in the back of the boat, or something to that effect. The sound could be as you described and sound like it's coming from the rudder.
Old 07-05-2021, 16:22   #39

Boat: Adams 28, 8.7m

I reckon you should catch yourself on, and buy a Rubics Cube or similar. You should be able to handle that.
Patrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 21:59   #40

Buy a bigger boat. I have found that always changes your perspective on problems in smaller boats.
john manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 22:05   #41

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefinitelyMe View Post
I guess he's not all that keen on the answers here. Seems to have gone silent.........
Either that or the thread has provided him/her/they with sufficient entertainment already.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat