Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2021, 03:44   #1

Help I bought a turd of a sailboat

I bought my first sailboat it needs practically everything replaced. I need some advice, my rudder and shaft are just swinging around down there and I think the only thing holding it all is a metal cross bar at the top and some freaking hose clamps any advice would be appreciated.
Chris P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 03:55   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Help I bought a turd of a sailboat

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Chris.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 04:03   #3

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

Hi Chris P.

Ahoy and welcome to CF.

You are going to need to tell more about the boat (year, make, model) and attach some pictures in order to get more meaningful responses that are in the ballpark. Sometimes posting your location (country, nearest big city, body of water) helps with replies too.
Old 03-05-2021, 04:11   #4

Hi thanks for the response, I purchased an Irwin 34 citation it's on the hook in the bayou in Panama City Florida I have no motor every time the wind blows or big wake comes bye I hear this loud knocking I went down the engine room and I could see the rubber show just swinging around like a pendulum
Old 03-05-2021, 04:16   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Are you asking a specific question?

Post some photos, I don’t think anyone be can tell what you’ve got going on by your description.

If it’s as bad as you make it sound, be prepared for several thousands to get a proper repair.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 04:17   #6

I will get some pictures when I have a little bit more daylight we have bad winds lost the anchor ran aground in the very next day got hit by an actual tornado here and tossed us all over the bayou I can't catch a break on his boat have a good day.
Old 03-05-2021, 04:19   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Help I bought a turd of a sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris P View Post
Hi thanks for the response, I purchased an Irwin 34 citation it's on the hook in the bayou in Panama City Florida I have no motor every time the wind blows or big wake comes bye I hear this loud knocking I went down the engine room and I could see the rubber show just swinging around like a pendulum
Lock/lash your wheel/tiller, it's what one does normally on a sailboat at rest else water movement will affect it.
That's its job..
If you are already doing this then check your linkage, somethings broken.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 05:37   #8

I think you bought a friend of mines old boat. It got blown into the bushes in hurricane michael and likely has some damage from that. haulout here is expensive. and you may be better off getting another boat. Lots of free boats around in that size range and for a few thousand bucks you can get a better boat in better shape. sorry to put it to you like that but the yard bill may be more than the value of the boat
lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 05:53   #9

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:

Sell it (or pay to get rid of it, more likely) and get a different boat.

An Irwin 34 with no motor isn't worth fixing.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:57   #10

Boat: Beneteau

Pictures and make model and year would be a good start.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:04   #11

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Do you have good insurance?
That should be arranged before the purchase closes.
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:05   #12

Boat: Irwin, Citation, 34
Send a message via ICQ to sengland

Absolutely agree.
I have an Irwin Citation 34.
Unless its been the subject of major refurb elsewhere, or you're handy yourself and can fix it over time, walk away. Best case is the prop has a blade or two broken and the knocking is the shaft banging back and forth. Worst case your skegg is very loose which is embedded in the hull, you cant get at it, will need cutting out and starting over with FG.
The floppy rudder could be another very expensive issue.
I have a new engine, prop and oversized shaft in mine and the skegg and rudder bearings have all bee gone through. (LARS, I 'think' I may own the one that suffered in the hurricane some years ago...all fixed now)
sengland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:50   #13

With respect, this seems like perhaps too big a bite for your first sail-boat?

Maybe something smaller and simpler....a little day sailor or even a dingy?

Write it off as school fees is my advice!
PaulvR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:59   #14

Hello Chris and welcome.

One thing at a time now, and keep a cool head. :-)

Remember that with enuff time and effort anything can be fixed, and with some imagination applied along with the sweat, often for a very reasonable cost.

But doing so requires that you either DO think in a linear, systematic fashion as a matter of habit, or work on doing that until it DOES become a habit. EVERY sailorman needs to think linearly and systematically :-)!

The Irwin 34 is a pretty conventional boat. It is wheel steered and it has a spade rudder hung from a rather vestigial skeg. So the first thing you gotta do is turn the wheel from stop to stop. Does it feel "normal"? No "hard spots"? No "hang-ups"? You can expect there to be 3 1/2 to 4 turns from stop to stop.

Under your cockpit sole ("floor" to landsmen) there is something called a "quadrant". It's a metal casting shaped as part of a circle. You gotta get to where you can see it working. You should be able to get at it either through a hatch in the sole, or possibly via one of the cockpit lockers. The quadrant connects to the wheel by means of a coupla wires. So when you can see the quadrant, you can see if it works in unison with the wheel or if maybe the wires are broken. They are tedious to fix if they are, but it's something you can well do yourself for little cost.

The quadrant attaches to the top of the rudder "stock" (the axle to which the rudder blade is fixed). If the quadrant is loose on the stock, it will be pretty obvious, and again it will be something you can fix yourself. Maybe with a little help from us if you are not familiar with this kinda work.

If you are good so far, you gotta go for a swim. In Florida's you can do all you need to do for a preliminary exploration by free-diving or using a snorkel. No need for scuba gear.

The bottom of end the stock fits into a hole in a metal bar that is bolted to the underside of the vestigial skeg. The bit with the hole in it is called a "gudgeon". The end of the stock that fits in the gudgeon is called the "pintle". In the gudgeon there should be some sort of plastic lining. If that lining is worn out or damaged you may get the sort of clunking sound, but it's probably something you can live with till you haul the boat. I don't think I would try to change the gudgeon while the boat is afloat.

Before you dive, set the wheel midships, and lock it with the little handwheel that is provided for that purpose on the side of the wheel pedestal. When you dive, observe whether the rudder is properly aligned fore and aft, or whether it is offset to one side. Grab the rudder by the bottom and give it a hard shake. Can you detect any play in the gudgeon?

When you've done those things, come back to us with your findings, and preferably with some pictures, and we can guide you through the next steps.

Good luck! On second thought, don't rely on luck :-)!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:44   #15
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
I bought my first sailboat it needs practically everything replaced. I need some advice, my rudder and shaft are just swinging around down there and I think the only thing holding it all is a metal cross bar at the top and some freaking hose clamps any advice would be appreciated.
what advise are you looking for?

sounds to me the boat is about to lose it's rudder and/or shaft and there it will .................. sink!

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat