Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2021, 16:35   #31

Re: Help me find a fix for this keel bulge

Thank you for all of the replies. I will take some more pictures of the inside and the boat this weekend. What do you think would be a reasonable price for a boat with this issue? Again, I really like the layout of this boat and the whole history behind it, if I can buy it for the right price and fix this issue, I would be up to the challenge. The plan at this point is to keep the boat on hard until next spring, that will give me some time to work a few issues out.
AndxSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2021, 16:42   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndxSurf View Post
Thank you for all of the replies. I will take some more pictures of the inside and the boat this weekend. What do you think would be a reasonable price for a boat with this issue? Again, I really like the layout of this boat and the whole history behind it, if I can buy it for the right price and fix this issue, I would be up to the challenge. The plan at this point is to keep the boat on hard until next spring, that will give me some time to work a few issues out.
The last C&C 40 I surveyed got a $60k estimate to repair the rotted balsa in the bottom. She languished in the yard for a few years then was chopped up.
Old 18-05-2021, 17:53   #33

A few more pictures of the boat that I have.

AndxSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2021, 07:38   #34

Run ! I’m sure the boat is priced low because of damage but it will most likely cost more than a boat with a clean survey, pay me now or pay,pay,pay,pay me later!
oldfordcrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2021, 09:00   #35

Boat: C&C 34+

have a C&C 34+ 94 vintage with a wing which sustained a a few hard groundings that compressed the back of the keel joint and resulted in the much publicized C&C "smile" did a major refit after 10 years, adding another keel bolt in back to balance the offset from the trailing wings ( which this boat does not have) and re-enforce the whole stub area with 4 layers of levlar and epoxy.
The boat has since withstood another hard grounding which require some serious fill to the front of the keel but had no effect at all on the joint.
Agree with past assessments on a void , impurities and or frost damage for the bulb and would not be concerned about that BTW I was not responsible for any of the groundings, the boat was in charter and later a co-op venture
eroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2021, 11:45   #36

Boat: Swallow Craft, Swift 33

One word, FORGETABOUTIT!
cottonsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2021, 14:44   #37

Boat: C-26

Almost everything is repairable. Just takes time and money. But when the cost of repair exceeds the worth of the boat, it's time to pass on by. Repairs to that keel and joint, if done properly, are going to be expensive. Probably not more than the boat's value but a big chunk of it. I wouldn't touch it.
Lionshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2021, 08:15   #38

There's no way to tell anything without cutting, grinding and exposing the problem. The odds are not in your favor and you need a competent surveyor. If the seller agrees to having this done at your expense then do that and agree on the repair vs purchase price limits. Otherwise, walk. This isn't a custom boat and there are many others that will fit your needs. Don't buy this without knowing what the problem is and how much the repair costs are.
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2021, 08:44   #39

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Very likely a proper survey and professional inspection followed by boat yard repairs will add significantly to the cost of this vessel. A do-it-yourself inspection and repair is risky but I myself would not hesitate. This is not rocket science.

The bulge area needs to be ground away and exposed to understand what is causing it. Maybe moisture or expansion due to rust. This could be repairable and I would DYI. But the possibility of damage to the keel stub is more serious. The inside needs to be inspected and examined over this area. Further, the cracks along the hull to stub joint are concerning. These might not be simply fairing cracks but could be evidence of hull damage due to some kind of grounding.

If you are confident in your fiberglass skills and have good common sense to assess of what you find when you look closer, maybe it is worth it, but the price better be very low. Good points made by others on checking for soggy core in the deck or elsewhere.

It is however a very nice boat, I understand why you like it.
Old 26-05-2021, 13:54   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Very likely a proper survey and professional inspection followed by boat yard repairs will add significantly to the cost of this vessel. A do-it-yourself inspection and repair is risky but I myself would not hesitate. This is not rocket science.

The bulge area needs to be ground away and exposed to understand what is causing it. Maybe moisture or expansion due to rust. This could be repairable and I would DYI. But the possibility of damage to the keel stub is more serious. The inside needs to be inspected and examined over this area. Further, the cracks along the hull to stub joint are concerning. These might not be simply fairing cracks but could be evidence of hull damage due to some kind of grounding.

If you are confident in your fiberglass skills and have good common sense to assess of what you find when you look closer, maybe it is worth it, but the price better be very low. Good points made by others on checking for soggy core in the deck or elsewhere.

It is however a very nice boat, I understand why you like it.
It's unlikely a boat owner will let a prospective DIY buyer do anything destructive to their boat before it sells. However, it's common for pro yards to do it for for a buyer (with permission from the seller). Regardless of the visible damage, keel bolts on a boat this old are another concern. Looking at good nuts in the bilge tell you nothing about the joint where the bolts typically waste away.
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2021, 14:33   #41

Boat: was a C&C 40 Aft Cabin

[QUOTE=Nauticus;3409167]I'd have to be honest when I say I'd walk if it was free. Aside from that gaping bulge, you have a multitude of cracks that at the very least need fairing. The 2 really crappy sealant repair lines are another reason to run. For what I suspect you'll pay in repairs for this you could almost fund your first year cruising in a much more seaworthy vessel.

I have read this forum for many years and have never posted. But, the derogatory comments about the type of boat that we owned and enjoyed for many years, brought me out of the woodwork.

I get tired of reading comments from people who know nothing about the specific vessel. I owned a C & C 40 for about 25 years and the lead keel to fiberglass stump crack was common and can be DIY repaired. The area of the bulge could most likely contain significant fairing material which has lost adhesion.

As for a more seaworthy vessel, this is an exceptional sailing vessel that was designed as a 2 ton IOR racer. We sailed ours for 30,000+ miles on Lake Erie, to the Bahamas and Cuba. We sailed to weather in a 55 knot blow, uncomfortable as hell, but she kept us safe for 8 hours until we could get to a protected harbour.

The hull is not completely balsa cored but just to the waterline. All thru-hulls are through solid glass, not through balsa core.
CreamPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 11:27   #42

Buying a used boat is like buying a used car. first month or so get used to not sleeping at night. anything you do to diagnosing this major and costly problem is going to need owners permission. which you already know from previous posts. what worries me is not the hole in keel, is the water coming out of seam above hole and cracks in caulking at hull at mating area. Suggestions: throughly ck around keel bolts for cracking of laminate or washers that are loose or on an unnatural angle. Also see if they look like they have slid and left any marks. As previously advised, tap hull with hammer. listen to sound. Dull sound big bucks. Last, ask owner if it's okay to throw some food coloring in bilge water, turning off bilge pump first of course. Come back in 3 to 5 days and ck keel for stains. He probably won't let you, but ask if you can drill a small hole about 2" from bottom of keel below big hole to see if water comes out. If your a DIY er, Have epoxy and fiberglass skills, you'll save a lot of money doing repairs yourself. Any way you decide to do it. if you buy it, drop the keel.
Three888s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 12:03   #43

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 Ketch - Reduced Rig & Shoal Draft

Everything is fixable.
In this case the current owner should be paying you to take it.
Sailing August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 20:44   #44

Boat: Columbia 9.6, Hunter Cherubini 37, Jeanneau 57

Heh. I went to look at this boat today. The damage was not noted on the website. Someone took a hammer to the keel and beat the cracks closed, but it still has tumorous and now hammered lump on it. It had not rained for a while, but it was weeping water from the joint seam. On the inside, there was a roughly 1/8" gap under the second keel bolt from the front. I couldn't get to the front keel bolt due to the tightness of the floorboard and not wanting to damage it. The fiberglass seems to be in good shape however as when I tapped for delamination or rot with my hammer, I only found one small spot near the stern. The keel bolts on this version should be at 450 foot pounds, the front certainly was not. Minimum, I think the keel will have to be dropped, cleaned up and rebedded. Pity, it seems to be a fairly clean boat otherwise. Particularly for the age. There are some hoses in the back that need to be replaced, gusher pump hose and exhaust hose. Engine has 2 hoses a bit on the worn side for my preferences.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211002_111258.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	291.8 KB
ID:	246330   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211002_133517.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	321.5 KB
ID:	246331  

Name:	20211002_130738.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	397.7 KB
ID:	246332   Click image for larger version

Name:	20211002_115511.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	373.4 KB
ID:	246333  

Name:	20211002_111320.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	396.1 KB
ID:	246334  
Greatest Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2021, 14:54   #45

Boat: C&C 40 TMDK

So what did you do about the mast step repair?
Max1980 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel